Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... I've searched forums, read answers, and called two different Kia dealerships, and I'm still getting contradictory answers about this question. Simply stated, I'm having studded snow tires mounted on my existing wheels next week. Come the spring, I either have to swap the tires again, or mount the "summer" tires on new wheels, with new TPMS sensors. I want to know whether the car will automatically sense that the wheels have been changed and configure itself accordingly.

One Kia mechanic tells me that if I choose to buy a second set of wheels and swap them twice a year, I'll still have to go to a dealership to "re-register" them to the TPMS system, at a cost of about $30.00 (for all four), every time I do the spring and fall swap. The other Kia mechanic tells me that all I have to do is change the wheels and tires and drive around for a few miles, and the car will figure it out by itself.

So... which is it?

I don't really mind spending the $30.00, but it would also involve 100 miles of driving every time. I suppose that's not the worst thing in the world because I could also let them swap / rotate the wheels and tires at the same time, probably at minimal cost; and I suppose I could schedule it at some time that I have some other reason to be in that neck of the woods. But it still partially defeats the purpose of spending the money for the rims and sensors if I still have to visit a dealership every time I swap the tires. I could just let my local mechanic swap the tires on the same wheels every spring and fall.

Does anyone know for sure whether the sensors would have to be "re-registered" to the car's TPMS system every time the wheels and tires are swapped?

Thanks.

Richard

·
Registered
On my second Soul - a 2020 LX w/IVT
113 Posts
I'm also considering TPMS (or lack thereof) and its effect on swapping wheels for this winter. I'm skipping sensors for any winter setup. If you go with two sets of sensors, I would think that each set would have to be registered with the system at each change.

Without sensors on the winter setup, my last Kia would simply light up the TPMS "idiot light" on the dash. Rather than deal with the expense of buying/registering different sensors, I decided that the (constantly lit, not flashing) light wasn't a problem. Once the stock wheels/tires (with sensors) were reinstalled in the spring, the car went back to normal.

It's worth mentioning - I have not determined if the Kia system disables any anti-slip/anti-skid systems as a result of the TPMS warning.

·
Registered
197 Posts
As long as the TPMS sensors are compatible with the Kia system, I believe it will relearn the new sensors once you start driving with them. Don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The mechanic who mounted the winter tires for me said they probably would self-learn eventually, but that he also had the machine to do it if I were to have him rotate the tires. He's just down the road from my parents' house, so at least it wouldn't be a 100-mile trip just for that.

Richard

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
The mechanic who mounted the winter tires for me said they probably would self-learn eventually, but that he also had the machine to do it if I were to have him rotate the tires. He's just down the road from my parents' house, so at least it wouldn't be a 100-mile trip just for that.

Richard

The simple soulition (see what I did there) would be to open the owners manual up to the TPS page and put it in front of your soul at nite for some soul searching information before bedtime.
These souls are "quirky" but fast learners!

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The manual isn't very clear on the issue. I actually did read it, and would go out and read it again if it weren't pouring rain outside; but alas, it is.

I do remember that the manual says something along the lines of needing to "visit an authorized Kia dealer" to deactivate the TPMS on a flat tire and activate the TPMS on the spare if a (presumably full-size) spare with TPMS is installed to replace the flat time. But that's not quite the same thing. In that case, the flat tire would still be in the trunk screaming out it's low-pressure warning signal, so you'd have to deactivate it and activate the other one to tell the system that the former spare is now in use.

My question is a bit different. I want to know what happens if all four TPMS sensors suddenly disappear, and four previously unknown ones appear in their place? Does the car eventually figure out what happened?

The mechanic who mounted the snow tires said that some cars do figure it out on their own, and other cars don't. He wasn't sure about the Soul, but he thought that it probably would. But he also said that it takes seconds to reprogram them using the gizmo he has, so he just does so whenever he rotates any car's tires.

Richard

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I do know that my Forester definitely used to re-learn on its own... but eventually I started getting my tires switched at WalMart and resetting the TPMS sensors was either included or really cheap so I usually had it done by them.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
The manual isn't very clear on the issue. I actually did read it, and would go out and read it again if it weren't pouring rain outside; but alas, it is.

I do remember that the manual says something along the lines of needing to "visit an authorized Kia dealer" to deactivate the TPMS on a flat tire and activate the TPMS on the spare if a (presumably full-size) spare with TPMS is installed to replace the flat time. But that's not quite the same thing. In that case, the flat tire would still be in the trunk screaming out it's low-pressure warning signal, so you'd have to deactivate it and activate the other one to tell the system that the former spare is now in use.

My question is a bit different. I want to know what happens if all four TPMS sensors suddenly disappear, and four previously unknown ones appear in their place? Does the car eventually figure out what happened?

The mechanic who mounted the snow tires said that some cars do figure it out on their own, and other cars don't. He wasn't sure about the Soul, but he thought that it probably would. But he also said that it takes seconds to reprogram them using the gizmo he has, so he just does so whenever he rotates any car's tires.

Richard

I think the short answers is Yes!
When the TPS blinks it actually loses signal and has to "re-learn" (re-link) and in actuality the same thing you describe.
Radio interference will disconnect the TPS sensor from the system but a few miles will usually reset the system.
In the end, as long as the other safety features (antilock, stability control, traction control) are not effected, you should be golden.

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
TPMS,do you really need these?
I've never had e'm on any vehicle.

Done fine...

At this point the question is not "do you need them" but does your car need them to function properly?
I believe this is what Richard is getting at in his opening "Q" regarding the TPS.
Without the sensors, your T.P.S. might P.M.S. and THAT is not a good thing!

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Quote: "My question is a bit different. I want to know what happens if all four TPMS sensors suddenly disappear, and four previously unknown ones appear in their place? Does the car eventually figure out what happened?"

On some souls, a light will appear on the dash saying "I know what you did last summer"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Not really answering your question but I just recently put on some Optima rims with regular rubber valve stems. I was surprised that the light on the dash does not come on. It is as if the vehicle never had TPMS installed! I have a 2014 Soul Base.
I can not believe that the TPMS system has anything to do with traction control or anything else. They are simply tire pressure monitors. On a cold morning my Nissan truck has a light come on and during the day as the temps rise, the light goes out. Nothing happens as far as handling or traction.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Okay, thanks. If I decide to go with dedicated rims, I'll just buy the new rims, install the TPMS sensors, and give it a shot. If the car doesn't figger it out, I can always stop by the mechanic.

We had snow here today, by the way, here in Sparrow-Fart, in the heart of the Catskills. How 'bout you?

Richard

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
Okay, thanks. If I decide to go with dedicated rims, I'll just buy the new rims, install the TPMS sensors, and give it a shot. If the car doesn't figger it out, I can always stop by the mechanic.

We had snow here today, by the way, here in Sparrow-Fart, in the heart of the Catskills. How 'bout you?

Richard

Say Hello to Herb & Lillian Brown for me!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts