Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

Registered
EPA fuel economy, can only get so much out of an engine, need the most ultra efficient trans also
All these little things they do to increase mileage, decrease sound, reduce pollution, whatever.
The 6 speed automatic has been working good for me.
What a pain! :rolleyes:

I guess in our presumably electrocuted, err electrified future, a lot of these issues will just disappear.
Dream on 'til your dreams come true!

Cue guitar solo. :D

Registered
2020 LX, cherry black
Is this issue out yet? Which one of you 65+'s with a subscription can spill the details? 馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter #63
Is this issue out yet? Which one of you 65+'s with a subscription can spill the details? 馃榿
Ouch, ouch, ouch! 2020 Kia Soul went from CR's highest predicted reliability rating based on the 2nd generation, to LOWEST reliability rating for the 2021 MY per its survey results from owner's experience over the last year. :(

This has to be just the transmission woes with the CVT. I'd wager the 7-speed DCTs are fine, but they probably sell 9 CVTs for every turbo model.

Registered
2020 LX, cherry black
I would like to know how many owners were surveyed, how they those surveys were collected, and if both factors were the same for every model. Without that info, none of this matters.

Registered
I guess maybe I jumped at the right time. It's actually a shame to see that the tranny isn't as robust as it should be, because I thought the fit and finish of my 2020 Soul was pretty good. Oh well, hopefully they get the transmission issues fixed.

Registered
What is also interesting is that the Soul, Forte, and Elantra all use the same engine/transmission. Why is the Elantra so different?

Registered
What is also interesting is that the Soul, Forte, and Elantra all use the same engine/transmission. Why is the Elantra so different?
Different brands from the same parent company try to distinguish each brand for their target demographics. I suspect that Kia is marketed as a little more sporty while Hyundai is leaning a bit towards luxury. It reminds me of how Pontiac and Oldsmobile had the same platform, where in the Olds trim the design was understated, where in the Pontiac it was almost cartoonishly accessorized. The shifts may be programmed a little more aggressive for the Kias, which could be the reason for the reliability issues.

Registered
Does it go into any detail? I can't get article to open past saying Soul 2020. I love mine, but have had a trans problem already. Wrestling with KIA over that still.
I Have a 2020 Kia Soul S. Got a notice for a computer software update that if not done could effect the transmission. Had the update done in the end of Jan. Within 900 miles the transmission died, while driving on the interstate. This occurred early March. The transmission is due to be delivered to the dealer on May 11th. Although I was given a rental car, my confidence in the car is shot..the NTSB website has 97 complaints on the 2020 Soul, 53 of them relate to drive train / transmission problems. Have filed paperwork under the Lemon Law.

Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
I Have a 2020 Kia Soul S. Got a notice for a computer software update that if not done could effect the transmission. Had the update done in the end of Jan. Within 900 miles the transmission died, while driving on the interstate. This occurred early March. The transmission is due to be delivered to the dealer on May 11th. Although I was given a rental car, my confidence in the car is shot..the NTSB website has 97 complaints on the 2020 Soul, 53 of them relate to drive train / transmission problems. Have filed paperwork under the Lemon Law.
Those 53 drive train issues represent 7/100 of 1% of the Souls sold in the US in 2020. While it's terrible when it happens to you (sorry), there are far more owners quite happy with their Souls than not. The brand is now being compare to Toyota in many reliability ratings. Trust me, Toyota has had its share of turds lately too.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts