Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

Registered
EPA fuel economy, can only get so much out of an engine, need the most ultra efficient trans also
All these little things they do to increase mileage, decrease sound, reduce pollution, whatever.
The 6 speed automatic has been working good for me.
What a pain! :rolleyes:

I guess in our presumably electrocuted, err electrified future, a lot of these issues will just disappear.
Dream on 'til your dreams come true!

Cue guitar solo. :D

Registered
2020 LX, cherry black
Is this issue out yet? Which one of you 65+'s with a subscription can spill the details? 馃榿

Registered
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Is this issue out yet? Which one of you 65+'s with a subscription can spill the details? 馃榿
Ouch, ouch, ouch! 2020 Kia Soul went from CR's highest predicted reliability rating based on the 2nd generation, to LOWEST reliability rating for the 2021 MY per its survey results from owner's experience over the last year. :(

This has to be just the transmission woes with the CVT. I'd wager the 7-speed DCTs are fine, but they probably sell 9 CVTs for every turbo model.

Registered
2020 LX, cherry black
I would like to know how many owners were surveyed, how they those surveys were collected, and if both factors were the same for every model. Without that info, none of this matters.

Registered
I guess maybe I jumped at the right time. It's actually a shame to see that the tranny isn't as robust as it should be, because I thought the fit and finish of my 2020 Soul was pretty good. Oh well, hopefully they get the transmission issues fixed.

Registered
What is also interesting is that the Soul, Forte, and Elantra all use the same engine/transmission. Why is the Elantra so different?

Registered
What is also interesting is that the Soul, Forte, and Elantra all use the same engine/transmission. Why is the Elantra so different?
Different brands from the same parent company try to distinguish each brand for their target demographics. I suspect that Kia is marketed as a little more sporty while Hyundai is leaning a bit towards luxury. It reminds me of how Pontiac and Oldsmobile had the same platform, where in the Olds trim the design was understated, where in the Pontiac it was almost cartoonishly accessorized. The shifts may be programmed a little more aggressive for the Kias, which could be the reason for the reliability issues.

Registered
Does it go into any detail? I can't get article to open past saying Soul 2020. I love mine, but have had a trans problem already. Wrestling with KIA over that still.
I Have a 2020 Kia Soul S. Got a notice for a computer software update that if not done could effect the transmission. Had the update done in the end of Jan. Within 900 miles the transmission died, while driving on the interstate. This occurred early March. The transmission is due to be delivered to the dealer on May 11th. Although I was given a rental car, my confidence in the car is shot..the NTSB website has 97 complaints on the 2020 Soul, 53 of them relate to drive train / transmission problems. Have filed paperwork under the Lemon Law.

Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
I Have a 2020 Kia Soul S. Got a notice for a computer software update that if not done could effect the transmission. Had the update done in the end of Jan. Within 900 miles the transmission died, while driving on the interstate. This occurred early March. The transmission is due to be delivered to the dealer on May 11th. Although I was given a rental car, my confidence in the car is shot..the NTSB website has 97 complaints on the 2020 Soul, 53 of them relate to drive train / transmission problems. Have filed paperwork under the Lemon Law.
Those 53 drive train issues represent 7/100 of 1% of the Souls sold in the US in 2020. While it's terrible when it happens to you (sorry), there are far more owners quite happy with their Souls than not. The brand is now being compare to Toyota in many reliability ratings. Trust me, Toyota has had its share of turds lately too.

Registered
I would like to know how many owners were surveyed, how they those surveys were collected, and if both factors were the same for every model. Without that info, none of this matters.
The surveys are largely collected on-line. Probably mostly these days.

You are more or less correct Soul boots but frankly to make a really solid comparison, you would have to know the probability distribution of the responses. I would guess that for some responses the actual sub-sample size is small and insufficiently large for statistically significant comparisons.

I can readily imagine how CR could add information to the point that 99% of NA readers are left in the dust. Not even the elite, agenda setting media (NYT, G&M, CBC, NPR, etc.) include this kind of information, and yet those and similar media are reporting broad results and main conclusions from empirical studies on a regular basis.

Whether any of you choose to recognize it or not, many folks with graduate degrees are innumerate. Knowing arithmetic is clearly useful but does not mean that one understands mathematics. Many academics use statistics in a black box manner. They do not understand what they are doing.

CRs, and popular albeit elite media, etc., are not in the business of educating people in probability theory, statistical measurement and decision theory.

----------------------------

I have been using Consumer Reports on and off for decades. Regarding automobile performance, CRs are rather useful for some stuff and not particularly helpful for others. Problems and potential issues that I would have liked to have known about for the vehicles we currently own never showed up in CR.

For those who insist on looking for "those problems", these automobile model-specific chat fora are by far the best but they demand time and effort and are easier to use for those with some skills and experience with autos and digital data searches.

The logical question is: who is offering a similar but more useful service? JD Powers? Not sure.... Anybody else?

TireRack.com is helpful for tire choice and might be a useful inexpensive alternative for those shopping tires.

The truth of the matter is that somebody purchasing a new model of an automobile is likely taking on far more risk than is widely recognized. The same applies to a myriad of new technologically sophisticated goods. It is odd, even amusing, how so many are willing to pay top dollar for the latest and greatest AND take on the risk of purchasing an item on the bleeding edge. Social status seeking at work? You tell me.

Many consumers have pre-committed to a strategy of staying back from the bleeding edge, therefore allowing others to pay for the RDT&E and work out the inevitable problems.

One way to mitigate that risk to buy a new model from a manufacturer with a solid reputation for looking after customers. So far Kia seems to fit that bill rather nicely.

I say that from reading these fora. I can't really say that from personal experience because in almost 6 years we have had 2 minor things go wrong with our Soul that were fixed by the dealership.

Registered
Pretty devastated to hear this, but while CR had a predicated highest reliability rating for the 2020 Kia Soul last year, now that its been a year they have now revised that to a bad launch and have declared the 2020 Soul to be on their Worst Used car list as of January 2021. :(
I have owned a bunch of Hyundai/Kia products and can state that, overall, they all have been good-to-very good. This is just my "rating".

I do know that the dealer I purchased from had zero used Souls in their resale section, and as of today ONE new one remaining. From my 4 weeks of research, new or used, this product line are leaving the dealers in droves.

Just my two cents...

Registered
So I am been meaning to cancel the Consumer Reports subscription but have not got around to it yet. Most stuff I buy is too specialized for Consumer Reports.

CR asked me to fill in another survey and I obliged. If for nothing else, curiosity.

Below is how I answered one of the questions asked:

IIRC correctly, that question was not asked in 2020. Just guessing here, but I suspect that CR has been hearing about vehicles using up a lot of oil and/or running out of oil.

For the benefit of 2nd generation Soul owners and others with GDI engines.

For the curious:

I run extended performance synthetic oil in both vehicles and change the oil roughly once a year. The Soul still takes 5W20; the Xterra 5W30.

This past year, I changed the oil in the Kia just after 10,000 km but am considering reducing the oil change interval to 9,000 km going forward.

Brown oil is not necessarily bad oil but this past year, I noticed that the oil darkened up much faster after 9,000 km.

To be complete, I have already added 300 ml of oil to the Kia this year after driving only 2,100 km. That was after a trip to the coast that went up and down two mountain passes. Will keep monitoring.

The Soul runs well and idles smoothly.

Reactions: Rocalive

Registered
I guess "probably mostly" is good enough for some.
Wow.

Think about it. What is less expensive to process? On line survey answers or paper answers? On line surveys. Does CR refuse to make paper surveys available to older member subscribers without personal computers or the requisite skills? I do not know, and frankly, I don't care. Elsewhere it is common practice to make both forms of surveys available to organization members.

Does it matter?

Look, you were born into and raised in a political culture of mendacity. I do understand and sympathize with the paranoia. It is true that special interests and members of American economic and political elites are constantly misleading, lying to and manipulating American citizens. The one thing that is not allowed is for foreigners to do the same. Otherwise it is open season on gullible, unsuspecting American citizens.

This is nothing but a survey where the sample is self-selected and whether one fills out the survey or not is entirely voluntary. There are no re-education camps for those who refuse to fill out the survey. Nobody will be sent to Guantanamo.

There is so much other stuff to worry about, why this?

Registered
2020 LX, cherry black
Wow.

Think about it. What is less expensive to process? On line survey answers or paper answers? On line surveys. Does CR refuse to make paper surveys available to older member subscribers without personal computers or the requisite skills? I do not know, and frankly, I don't care. Elsewhere it is common practice to make both forms of surveys available to organization members.

Does it matter?

Look, you were born into and raised in a political culture of mendacity. I do understand and sympathize with the paranoia. It is true that special interests and members of American economic and political elites are constantly misleading, lying to and manipulating American citizens. The one thing that is not allowed is for foreigners to do the same. Otherwise it is open season on gullible, unsuspecting American citizens.

This is nothing but a survey where the sample is self-selected and whether one fills out the survey or not is entirely voluntary. There are no re-education camps for those who refuse to fill out the survey. Nobody will be sent to Guantanamo.

There is so much other stuff to worry about, why this?
I didn't insinuate that anything overtly nefarious or blatantly dishonest is occurring. You obviously have an issue with being questioned and are turning this into a strange political argument which had literally nothing to do with my point.

As someone who deals with numbers, I can tell you that where and how data is collected is important. That's just plain and simple fact. Sometimes bad or incomplete data comes from intent but most often it comes from sheer laziness or lack of understanding in how to collect data with integrity.

I don't appreciate you trying to drag me into some oddball cultural critique because your ego has thin skin.

61 - 80 of 103 Posts