Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
2021 KIA Soul X-Line Neptune Blue w/Black Top. Vehicle Build Date 10/2020, purchased 12/30/2020.
44 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, it's still listed as a technical service bulletin. With this bulletin there was also a letter out to customers. The following link is for the 2021 Soul but the TSB is also for that model year too, depending on build date. Look at all of the December 3 and December 2, 2020 dated entries.

I was mistaken! It's titled as a "VOLUNTARY EMMISSIONS SERVICE CAMPAIGN " So it has not 'blossomed' in to a recall yet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I guess that's right. I just treat them the same. Kia says there's a problem so I take it in for them to correct. Who wouldn't?
Years ago, an elderly gentleman gave me some sound advice. Now that I am a geezer I know his wisdom was true. = "If it has a bra or wheels, it will give you trouble."
I might add, learn to live with it.

·
Registered
2020 LX IVT
63 Posts
bwdz: The results are survey driven. CR is not clueless.

Are you innumerate?
"Innumerate"? I couldn't find it in the dictionary, but it kind of sounds like you were trying to put bwdz75 down. If that's the case, I hope you'll be able to hear what I say without needing to defend CR.
I've been subscribing to them for many years, and have noticed a variety of forms of bias that, like an unseen cancer, run beneath their reviews. I don't mean just cars, but I've noticed this in various areas where I've also done deeper research along side my own experience. But to keep this simpler, let's look at their about face on the Soul. The current car issue, where they dropped the Soul's overall rating to 48, from a prior 81, "solely" on the transmission issue, which got not even their lowest (red) rating for the 2020, but the one step less grave (orange) rating. In the intro to the section on how they arrive at the overall rating, reliability (the only negative since the prior higher rating) is only one of several factors, yet it seems to have been given a weight for all of them, and as if most Soul's had this problem, rather than a small minority.
Also, if you look thru the section of reliability ratings over the years, in another year where there were numerous 'orange' ratings (including both major and minor engine) the overall reliability rating for that year remains in the second highest (light green) category... mind-bogglingly so. Something seem amiss.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Consumer reports shouldn’t be taken as gospel, it’s just one measure. I have bought and had zero trouble with items they have recommended against including the iPhone 4s.
No-one can tell us if the Soul will be a good used buy as there isn’t enough data yet. While the car is new enough to be in warranty I couldn’t care less if the transmission falls out as for 10 years Kia have to fix it. I might feel differently if I only had the one car and needed it to get to work and couldn’t afford a rental etc etc.
Should someone buy a 5 or even 10 year old 3rd gen? No-one can tell you.
As for a first year car having problems, big surprise.
I generally don’t recommend people buy the first 2 years of production but broke that rule myself on the Soul and so far, low miles due to Covid aside, I have no complaints.
It’s just an econobox but for what it cost I’m very impressed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Pretty devastated to hear this, but while CR had a predicated highest reliability rating for the 2020 Kia Soul last year, now that its been a year they have now revised that to a bad launch and have declared the 2020 Soul to be on their Worst Used car list as of January 2021. :(

Does it go into any detail? I can't get article to open past saying Soul 2020. I love mine, but have had a trans problem already. Wrestling with KIA over that still.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Does it go into any detail? I can't get article to open past saying Soul 2020. I love mine, but have had a trans problem already. Wrestling with KIA over that still.
Nope, they don't release the details until their April issue of each year. Once I can find a copy, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
117 Posts
It's because of the transmission problems. However, Kia issued the TSB to VIN-specific owners to get a software check, a software upgrade, and if that didn't work, a replaced trans. All of this is supposed to permanently fix the issue.

·
Registered
202 Posts
It's because of the transmission problems. However, Kia issued the TSB to VIN-specific owners to get a software check, a software upgrade, and if that didn't work, a replaced trans. All of this is supposed to permanently fix the issue.
I sure hope so.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts