Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

21 - 40 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
And you think consumer surveys are honest? I wouldn't trust one as far as I could throw it.
Buyers remorse, 1st payment due. I just don't like it.
Plus most people anymore wouldn't know what the truth is if it bit them in the azz. Opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Pretty devastated to hear this, but while CR had a predicated highest reliability rating for the 2020 Kia Soul last year, now that its been a year they have now revised that to a bad launch and have declared the 2020 Soul to be on their Worst Used car list as of January 2021. :(

You have to consider the 2020 Soul has been completely redesign from body to engine and transmission. First year production models always seem to have issues, and they do work out the kinks in the following years. Even CR states that, though I have a 2020 Soul LX and love it!

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
Bought my first four-wheeler (Car,,, a '57 Chevy Convertible) in 1967, and I've owned quite a few since then, but in all those years and all those cars I've never relied on anyone's REPORT as to whether to buy a car or not. To me, CR is just another RAG! Money talks (CR) and BS Walks.

I buy a car on how it looks, how much it costs, and the results of my personal TEST DRIVE. If I really like the Test Drive results, and the salesman has not had a coronary yet, and can still type up the sales agreement, I'll buy the car.
I bought my last three cars that way. One salesman is now selling Cadilacs and the other two have retired. ;)

So, what was it that Mr. T used to say....."I pity the fool"...that ever relys on CR to figure out what car to buy/drive.

Cheers Mates!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
104 Posts
Bought my first four-wheeler (Car,,, a '57 Chevy Convertible) in 1967, and I've owned quite a few since then, but in all those years and all those cars I've never relied on anyone's REPORT as to whether to buy a car or not. To me, CR is just another RAG! Money talks (CR) and BS Walks.

I buy a car on how it looks, how much it costs, and the results of my personal TEST DRIVE. If I really like the Test Drive results, and the salesman has not had a coronary yet, and can still type up the sales agreement, I'll buy the car.
I bought my last three cars that way. One salesman is now selling Cadilacs and the other two have retired. ;)

So, what was it that Mr. T used to say....."I pity the fool"...that ever relys on CR to figure out what car to buy/drive.

Cheers Mates!
FLH :cool:
I take it you've never read Consumer Reports Magzine?

·
Registered
773 Posts
bwdz: The results are survey driven. CR is not clueless.

Are you innumerate?
That is my point exactly, have you seen the wording on the surveys and the ability of the average person to review or rate a product? They also recommend, then tell you it's the worst thing later. It's a joke. I have owned numerous cars and other products on their terrible list and had none of the issues. I am a mechanic and can show you dozens of the problems that plague their recommended models. Just my opinion, guess every one has one.

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX 6 speed
14 Posts
I take CR with a grain of salt when they’re comparing cars. Concerning toasters, washers, refrigerators etc. I think they are reliable because the test parameters of those is pretty tight. Cars are a whole different story though. Out in the field cars are exposed to different drivers and driving styles, widely varying maintenance protocol, weather extremes from desert weather to 6 months of frozen motoring and driving surfaces ranging from baby Azz smooth to downtown Fallujah.
With all that going on it’s easy too see why some owners think CR is rubbish and others think CR is spot on.
Owner #1. I drove my xyz car for 200k miles with very little trouble .
Owner #2. My xyz fell apart after 3 years and 57,000 miles.

Same car; but something was different. CR relies on owner input, owner demographics from all over the country.
Having said all this, CR‘s instrumented test track tests are very good and valuable information for any car buyer.
Concerning Kia‘s CVT: while CVTs have been out for some time, the jury’s still out on them as far as I’m concerned. That’s why I have the 6 speed manual, which is doing fine.

·
Registered
2021 Soul LX 6 speed
14 Posts
It’s probably in the vin (don’t know what you’d look for though) but my 2021 was built in Korea. I’m fine with that too. I was considering a Honda Fit but I couldn’t find one with a stick and being made in Mexico was not my favorite choice - that’s not against Mexican auto builders but Honda’s plant in Mexico puts some very thin paint on the fits according to forums and that in itself made we look farther than Honda. The paint on my Soul is very good.

·
Registered
176 Posts
It's about time Kia was called to the carpet for their GDI engine's fiasco. Would like to see all the recalled Kia's be put on worst used car list!!!!! My Soul blew up in Nov and my Sportage 2 weeks ago. Change my mind!!!!! Bye Kia!!!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Pretty devastated to hear this, but while CR had a predicated highest reliability rating for the 2020 Kia Soul last year, now that its been a year they have now revised that to a bad launch and have declared the 2020 Soul to be on their Worst Used car list as of January 2021. :(

Well they finally got something right, I've been saying this was the worst piece of junk I have ever bought along with the worst dealer I have ever dealt with. Never again.

·
Registered
129 Posts

Looks like Kia's quality has slipped a bit in general and no doubt the failed IVT debacle impacting Fortes and Souls where Kia still hasn't done a recall and instead has gone quiet face saving dealer-notice TSB route. Why is that a bad idea? Well legally we are not obligated to service our vehicles at Kia dealerships. By refusing to publicly admit and directly notify affected customers with a formal recall (as any reputable manufacturer ought to do) instead the only way for an at-risk customer to learn of the transmission fix is if the customer happens to use a Kia dealer for scheduled maintenance and that dealer happens to mention and implement that TSB. You service your Soul or Forte with IVT at an independent shop or yourself, your risk of catastrophic transmission failure, described in a few NHTSA complaints as akin to rapid braking from freeway speeds on interstates if the IVT dies under such circumstances. Something Kia by being transparent and forthcoming about its mess up with a proper recall could have avoided.

That said, other than IVT failures, you don't see many problem reports on this forum for the 2020 Souls. Mine has been solid (2020 Soul EX) with 22k miles on the clock. Other than the IVT problem, I wonder what issues warrant the low CR marks since if you read the Gen 3 Issues forum other problems are few and far between. But then again, CR is probably overdue for a recall too. I still fondly recall how lame their road tests and reviews were in the 90s. Until CR finally hired journalists who could actually drive their reported 0-60 times would be almost 3 seconds slower than the reported times from R&T, MT and Car and Driver. The Porsche 944 rated a 9.8 second 0-60 at the hands of CR's staffers with R&T managing low 7s for the same vehicle - likely the same exact unit as in those days there were fewer units allocated to the press pool.

·
Registered
2020 LX, cherry black
149 Posts
By refusing to publicly admit and directly notify affected customers with a formal recall (as any reputable manufacturer ought to do) instead the only way for an at-risk customer to learn of the transmission fix is if the customer happens to use a Kia dealer for scheduled maintenance
They did issue a formal recall. I received a letter in early January.

21 - 40 of 72 Posts