Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Long time lurker here. I had a 2003 Honda Element that I sold in 2013. I missed it so much I have been looking around for some sort of replacement for it. Always liked the Soul but was on the fence about buying one. When the 2020 Soul came out I really liked the updates they made. It got very good reviews on YouTube. I was really looking forward to getting one. Then I started reading about some issues with transmission failing and then engine recalls. That really scared me off. I know a lot people are very happy with their Souls and I would like to be one of them. Hopefully those were just some early new model year issues? Do you think the 2022 model year has the bugs worked out now? I like the updates that were made for 2022 so should I go for it?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Well, I’ve had my EX sin the first week in March 2020. I had the transmission computer update and have had no problems with it. my update was done in July 2020 at about 1200 miles. The transmission problems seem to have generally occurred below 7000 miles. I have one 8200+ miles on mine with no problem. There have been very few, if any, complaints about the transmission since the update on this forum.
Regarding the engine there is a recall and Kia estimates that only 1%of the engines installed on 2020 & 2021 Souls made in 2019 to October 2020 are affected. This is approximately 1250 Souls. Kia has recalled all Souls made during This period to inspect/test the engines. If they fail, the engines will be completely replaced, ie. a Long Block. If they don’t fail there will be a later, I hope soon, to improve the anti-knock sensors to alert the driver/owners if there is a problem with the engine and get to a dealer. If you get a car made November 2020 or later you should have not problems. Personally, I’m very comfortable with my Soul And confident with it. I get my Soul serviced by my dealer. The service department is pricey, but they do good work and keep the electronics updated and routinely perform any TSBs In a timely manner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Makes me feel a little better that the issues seem to be resolved and most likely were just a small number of vehicles involved.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well, I’ve had my EX sin the first week in March 2020. I had the transmission computer update and have had no problems with it. my update was done in July 2020 at about 1200 miles. The transmission problems seem to have generally occurred below 7000 miles. I have one 8200+ miles on mine with no problem. There have been very few, if any, complaints about the transmission since the update on this forum.
Regarding the engine there is a recall and Kia estimates that only 1%of the engines installed on 2020 & 2021 Souls made in 2019 to October 2020 are affected. This is approximately 1250 Souls. Kia has recalled all Souls made during This period to inspect/test the engines. If they fail, the engines will be completely replaced, ie. a Long Block. If they don’t fail there will be a later, I hope soon, to improve the anti-knock sensors to alert the driver/owners if there is a problem with the engine and get to a dealer. If you get a car made November 2020 or later you should have not problems. Personally, I’m very comfortable with my Soul And confident with it. I get my Soul serviced by my dealer. The service department is pricey, but they do good work and keep the electronics updated and routinely perform any TSBs In a timely manner.
The issue is KIA has had engine problems for MANY years. Here is a link to an article of about a recall involving 440K KIA (Non Soul) cars made from 2013-2015: Kia is recalling over 440,000 vehicles because their engines can catch fire — even when not running

If you Google "KIA engine recall" you will find numerous other recalls for other years/models.

This one involves Soul's (2011-2015) from last year: Kia Recalls 295,000 Cars in U.S. for Engine-Compartment Fire Risk

The 1% that KIA states with this current recall may be true or not, they will most likely only know the true % after the cars have been on the road for a lot longer and collect real world data.

My KIA Dealer has many cars waiting for new engines (backordered) spanning many years/models.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a Soul 2020 LX made 6/2019 that has 13,500 miles on it, with no issues! Suggestion if you get a new one warranty is 10 years 100,000 miles. If it's used it's less, like 5 years 60,000 miles. And yes I'd buy another one, use only full Synthinc motor oil!

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,939 Posts
Hello all,

Long time lurker here. I had a 2003 Honda Element that I sold in 2013. I missed it so much I have been looking around for some sort of replacement for it. Always liked the Soul but was on the fence about buying one. When the 2020 Soul came out I really liked the updates they made. It got very good reviews on YouTube. I was really looking forward to getting one. Then I started reading about some issues with transmission failing and then engine recalls. That really scared me off. I know a lot people are very happy with their Souls and I would like to be one of them. Hopefully those were just some early new model year issues? Do you think the 2022 model year has the bugs worked out now? I like the updates that were made for 2022 so should I go for it?
It sounds like you'll be buying a new Soul 2022. That literally/figuratively puts you in THE drivers seat. Nobody wants to get that occasional turdmobile, but this way you'll be getting one of the best powertrain warranties in the business that gives you 10 years of coverage.

If it doesn't live up to your expectations, that's lots of time to sell it and find something else that can replace that good old Element. Win/win!

FWIW, I bought mine new in 2014 and besides oil changes & filters, I'm blown away by zero problems so far. Being a mostly Honda/Acura owner, I can say the Soul is a better built, more solid vehicle. Not plagued by the usual Honda problems of fit/finish, bad sensors, switchgear & front end/brakes shimmy routine. I don't miss that at all.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Mine is scheduled to be tested. If not working, they will repair and extend the warranty by 5 years/5000 miles. This is a one-time event, or maybe not. Yet, is there a choice? Looking at the www.autoevolution.com's link below, check out all the automotive/motorcycle recalls and see if another vehicle is not going to have any. I think it's just luck. And like in the stock market, history is no indicator of future performance.
Latest Recalled Cars News - August 29th 2021 - autoevolution

·
Registered
410 Posts
You should not have a problem. The engine recall is for Souls manufractured on or before 10/20/2020. The transmission problem was done via a product improvement campaign and affected cars mad June 2020 or earlier. Basically the 2020 Soul production.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I'm just curious.....why anyone would assume that KIA has not addressed the engine problems, and eliminated them in current production.
If a new problem does crop up, we still have that excellent 10 year warranty. Eh?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm just curious.....why anyone would assume that KIA has not addressed the engine problems, and eliminated them in current production.
If a new problem does crop up, we still have that excellent 10 year warranty. Eh?
Because KIA keeps having engine problems year after year, they resolve one problem and another problem pops up. Yes, the 10 year warranty is great, BUT you are not guaranteed a loaner car during what could be a VERY long process (In my case 2.5 months without my 2020 Soul). Look through all your sales and warrantee docs, you will see no mention of a loaner, it's just a good will gesture depending on availability. I had no transportation for the 1st week, and then drove a loaner sedan that did not suit my transportation needs for the next 2 months (I bought a Soul hatchback for a reason).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Because KIA keeps having engine problems year after year, they resolve one problem and another problem pops up. Yes, the 10 year warranty is great, BUT you are not guaranteed a loaner car during what could be a VERY long process (In my case 2.5 months without my 2020 Soul). Look through all your sales and warrantee docs, you will see no mention of a loaner, it's just a good will gesture depending on availability. I had no transportation for the 1st week, and then drove a loaner sedan that did not suit my transportation needs for the next 2 months (I bought a Soul hatchback for a reason).
I should also mention, if I understand correctly, if you on your own get a rental, KIA will reimburse you $30/day as a good will gesture. Try renting a car for $30/day. You will wind up paying the daily difference. Over 2.5 months that would have cost me about $2,500.

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
Sniff.... are you satisfied? Now you've got me crying. What a truly Sad tale. :cry:

·
Registered
708 Posts
Not assuming anything here but sometimes other auto manufacturers can take up to 4 or 5 years to iron out all the issues of new models. It happens.

Agree on the warranty. Our 2015 GDI has been trouble free but from everything I read on here I would conclude that Kia's overall service record is pretty good. My impression is that one can spend a lot more on other vehicles and not receive the same quality of service.

·
Registered
2014 SOUL " ! " Owned since New
2,055 Posts
KIA For The Last Six Years In A Row... Nuff Said
NOTE: We Drive KIA's.... Because they are always of the Best Quality, and Best 10 Year Warranty...(y)
NOTE: Lexus is the TOP Quality of the Super Luxury Category, beating out Porsche...:oops:
NOTE: I Hope What You Drive Is "NOT BELOW AVERAGE"... That Would Really "SUCK"...:cry:
NOTE: My first Kia Sedona, and Our Current TWO Kia's...:giggle: A Fully Loaded SOUL & Fully Loaded NIRO HYBRID have been Perfect... "WERE WINNING"
NOTE: (recalls were the only services done to these three cars) (again done Perfectly)..(y)
Slope Rectangle Parallel Font Diagram

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
I've been driving for what seems like 'Forever' and I can remember problems that other car makers have had that resulted in people dying. Ford and Toyota come to mind.
Ask the insurance people, how many young gear-heads died in Mustang BOSS's. When I bought my base model '69 Mustang, I had one heck of a job even buying insurance on it. I had to fill out a three page questionnaire, to prove I wasn't buying a death trap. Insuring the Soul is easy peasy.

It's amazing all the claptrap that comes from those with NO history or experience. :ROFLMAO:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts