Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, I am thinking about a 2012 Soul (the year that saw a lot of updates). It looks like it does NOT have a "CVT" transmission (I hate those) and has a 6-speed automatic. I like the 160hp 2.0. I plan on towing with it, and in other markets the tow rating is about 2400lbs. I wont be towing that much but my tiny camper is about 900lbs max.

Any advice on what to look for and trim levels (thats confusing to me, which is the highest trim level?) is appreciated!

Thank You

· Registered
1,938 Posts
Plus (+) and Exclaim (!) are the two trims that come with the 2.0L. The base came with the 1.6L. Plus is the middle trim and Exclaim was the top trim.

· Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,238 Posts
Howdy and welcome to the forums!!

· Registered
452 Posts
Hi All, I am thinking about a 2012 Soul (the year that saw a lot of updates). It looks like it does NOT have a "CVT" transmission (I hate those) and has a 6-speed automatic. I like the 160hp 2.0. I plan on towing with it, and in other markets the tow rating is about 2400lbs. I wont be towing that much but my tiny camper is about 900lbs max.

Any advice on what to look for and trim levels (thats confusing to me, which is the highest trim level?) is appreciated!

Thank You
So you probably know the tongue weight is the important factor when attaching anything to the hitch you have on the vehicle. So don't exceed that. And check that the 900 lbs. added to your vehicle's weight with luggage and passengers doesn't exceed the gross vehicle weight (GVW). Even though the engine/trans may be OK with that, it might be the braking system isn't sufficient if the GVW is exceeded. All I can offer.

· Registered
2012 Soul Plus. Automatic, 2.0 engine
527 Posts
I have a 2012 ! with the 2.0 and 6 speed automatic.. Good reliable car so far but with it's short wheelbase and light weight i wouldn't tow a little red wagon with it. Even a small trailer can be exciting in nasty weather(ask me how I know this) and a Soul is just too light and short to be really trustworthy. And original Soul tires are very poor in the adhesion dept.

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks guys. I towed my teardrop camper all over the country with a 2500lb Miata, no issues. but I drive very conservatively..

as far as the Soul, Im actually not finding many 2012+ w Exclaim trim level, at all... maybe just gotta be patient I guess

1 - 8 of 8 Posts