Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for a new small CXV or SUV. The Soul is at the top of my list. The lane sensing/keeping/centering tech is far superior than most of the other competition. This is something I love to have on my long commutes. I test drove one yesterday and liked it, even considering it was just the LX trim.

I'm looking for opinions and feedback as to why the Soul should be my next commuter car, over other competitors. I'm also considering the Buick Encore Preferred, Chevy Trax LT, Honda HR-V, Nissan Kicks, CX-3, and Hyundai Venue.

What's everyone's feeling on reliability and overall drivability? Also, fuel economy is important to me. What are the real world numbers folks are getting with the 2.0L NA engine?

And if the choice of buying another Soul again, would you do it or switch brands/models?

Any comments are appreciated.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I've Owen Toyota RAV4 and Subaru Crosstrek. I find my 2020 Soul LX is more comfortable, much easier to get in and out of. It's fun to drive with getting good gas mileage! One thing I don't like is the lane sensing, but that's just me and yes I'd buy it again!

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
I'd stay with KIA, and the Soul, and the LX. I drove a higher trim level and the lane keeper drove me nuts!
I really like the LX because of Minimum interference with my driving. I even disabled the Stop-Go feature.
Yay, if my car was totaled or burned up today, I'd have me another LX tomorrow. With the proper setup and operation the Soul LX is a sweet little ride.
On little road trips, I get mpg in the low to mid forties. And she gives me all the performance I need.
Automotive parking light Land vehicle Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Automotive lighting

My Scan Gauge II, tells me in Real Time, what the engine is doing.
And with the IVT (AT) you get an Overdrive gear, which can be a real fuel saver.
Good Luck to ya!
:cool:

·
Registered
320 Posts
In the market for a new small CXV or SUV. The Soul is at the top of my list. The lane sensing/keeping/centering tech is far superior than most of the other competition. This is something I love to have on my long commutes. I test drove one yesterday and liked it, even considering it was just the LX trim.

I'm looking for opinions and feedback as to why the Soul should be my next commuter car, over other competitors. I'm also considering the Buick Encore Preferred, Chevy Trax LT, Honda HR-V, Nissan Kicks, CX-3, and Hyundai Venue.

What's everyone's feeling on reliability and overall drivability? Also, fuel economy is important to me. What are the real world numbers folks are getting with the 2.0L NA engine?

And if the choice of buying another Soul again, would you do it or switch brands/models?

Any comments are appreciated.
Out of the cars you’re considering, the Soul, Honda, Mazda, and Hyundai Venue are all good reliable choices. The Venue is a little smaller than the Soul, so keep that in mind.

If I was in the market for another car it would definitely be a Hyundai or Kia. I’d have a hard time picking between the Kona, Seltos, and Soul.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The Soul's MPI engine is what sold us. No direct inject to deal with and no turbos.
Only thing we miss driving around this northern state is AWD, which the Soul does not have.

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
As a previous owner/driver of RWD's, 4x4's, and AWD's, I can testify they all take a back seat to the Soul and its FWD.
If I shut off the 'Traction Control' and drop off some air pressure in the front tires, my little Jem could Almost climb a tree. Well, not quite, but she can, and does, go places and do things that all those other cars couldn't do.
On this forum anyway, I seldom hear about 4x4's, but the term AWD does pop up occasionally. Way over rated!!!
I just couldn't wait to get my Suzuki SX4, AWD car, and what a disappointment that turned out to be. It could get bogged down in this dang FL Sugar Sand and spin all four wheels, and then just shift into neutral and I'd have to turn off the engine to Reset everything. Arggg!
In over two years, I've never gotten stuck with my 2020 Soul, 2.0L, IVT.
I spent over half of my life in the North, with snow, sleet, Ice, and all that wintry stuff, and I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to take it all on with my little "Jem" (that's her name) Just remember to turn off the Traction Control. That thing can get you stuck in a heartbeat. (personal experience)

Good Luck, and Happy Motoring,
FLH :cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts