Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I buy an OEM spare tire kit, what is the proper size to match a 2013 Soul+ with stock 16" wheels? I assume a 16" spare tire kit is the answer, but wanted to check with the forum.

Thanks,

Sonic

·
Registered
140 Posts
I purchased a 205/55/16 used tire and a used wheel and it works for me.
A little ingenuity and the floor mats work fine and are level.1X are the trick.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
No matter what car or what size tires you have, there is always the possibility that you may need to put the spare on one of the front corners of the car. On FWD cars, it's imperative that the two front tires be of the same size and have the same air pressure. (as identical as possible)

So getting a spare tire as close to the same as your other tires is the safest and 'best'.
Years ago, cars always came with a spare the same size as the stock tires on the car.

I was lucky enough to get a tire and wheel, from my dealer, just like the tires and wheels already on my car.
(15" steel wheel, with Hankook tire) So, I can put my spare on my car at any location with no safety or performance problem.

Dealers are always changing tires for people, so check with your dealer first, to see if they have what you need.

And......Good Luck,

:cool:

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,142 Posts
If I buy an OEM spare tire kit, what is the proper size to match a 2013 Soul+ with stock 16" wheels? I assume a 16" spare tire kit is the answer, but wanted to check with the forum.
I'm getting the feeling you haven't read the owners manual from cover to cover yet ;)

The compact spare sizes are listed in the back of the owners manual as to what size goes with what tire size you have. For 15" and 16" full size tires the compact spare size is T125/80D15. However, if you wish to put in a full size spare (which will easily fit the well cavity) then you get the same size as currently on your vehicle.
As our Canadian models equivalent to the + and ! (2u and 4u) come standard with compact spares, so I did not have to go through the hassle. Here's my compact spare size of T125/80D16 which is for the full size tire of P235/45R18.

Warning: if you go full size be careful as there could be a problem with the underfloor storage tray sticking up, some claim this happens with full size tires, some not, maybe it depends on the rim that accommodates it as to what causes the problem or the tool kit sitting on top of it. The foam tool holder that sits in the middle of the compact spare rim, sticks up enough to help provide support for that tray.
Here's my OEM set up:

·
Registered
97 Posts

Thanks,

Sonic
I think your question is in regards to buying the 'factory spare tire kit' which is a temporary spare, not a full size spare. In theory, and in the text from the factory, the mini-spare for the 15" and the 16" tires is one size, and the mini-spare for the 18" tires in another size. As was noted above, having the spare as close as possible in rolling diameter to the other tires on the car is what you would want to achieve. I chose to buy the 18" factory mini-spare for my + model with 16" tires, because it is slightly taller than the mini-spare provided for the 15" and 16" tires. In actual measurements, it is still about 3/4" shorter than the 16" tire. In practice, either one will work, in my opinion, but the engineer in me wanted to get as close as feasible, without spending any additional $.

·
Registered
214 Posts
If you're going the route of the OEM spare donut, regardless of what stock rim size you have, you should get the OEM kit for 18" stock rim size, which will give you a 16" donut rim. The reason for that is that the 16" donut is a slightly bigger donut tire than the 15", so it balances the height a little better. I don't know why kia even made the smaller donut spare in the first place.

As TM said, you need two good tires at the front, especially a FWD, cuz a majority of the braking is done by the front, and steering and drive. If you flat a front and you have a donut spare, you need to take off a good rear to put on the front, and put the spare at the rear. PITA, but safety first!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
If you're going the route of the OEM spare donut, regardless of what stock rim size you have, you should get the OEM kit for 18" stock rim size, which will give you a 16" donut rim. The reason for that is that the 16" donut is a slightly bigger donut tire than the 15", so it balances the height a little better. I don't know why kia even made the smaller donut spare in the first place.

As TM said, you need two good tires at the front, especially a FWD, cuz a majority of the braking is done by the front, and steering and drive. If you flat a front and you have a donut spare, you need to take off a good rear to put on the front, and put the spare at the rear. PITA, but safety first!
Absolutomente' Correctomundo'.

Any reputable tire man in the world will tell you that too.
Once a person fully understands the dynamics of Front Wheel Drive, they wouldn't dream of putting a little donut tire on the front.

With a flat on a front tire, the correct procedure is to swap the donut for a rear tire, and then put the rear tire on the front.
As was so aptly said, it's a real PITA, but that's the only safe way to replace a bad front tire.
Thank Goodness, I've never had to do that. I've never had a flat tire on the last three cars I've owned.
But I'm very ready, just it case it does happen.

I do my own tire rotations, every six K miles, so I get lots of chances to play with my Floor Jack, Lug Wrench/Torque Wrench, etc.

It's really not too bad. A floor jack, properly placed, will lift one whole side of the car at a time.
Swap the front and back tires, put the car back on the ground, jack up the other side and swap the tires, put the car back down.....job done.
Don't forget to Torque all the lug nuts to ~65 ft/lb.
(that's almost impossible with the little lug wrenches that come with spare tire kits)

Practice makes perfect!

Cheers Mates!
:cool:
PS: I'm constantly seeing 1/2" Drive Torque Wrenches on sale at Harbor Freight Tools, for $19.95,
seen here, with a 21mm deep well socket.

Also, as a part of my "Kit", is a 14' set of jumper cables and a 20', 6000# Tow Strap.
An air compressor is wrapped in the white cloth, in the center of the spare tire.

It all hides very nicely under the stock cargo area cover.

Apologies, to the guys who have seen these pictures before. This was for the new guys.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2019 Kia Soul. Looking for a a spare. I know it suggests T125/80D 16. I actually found a T145/80D16 in my basement. The bolt Pattern matches 5x4.5. The rim actually has a ford logo on it. Would I be ok to use this as my temp spare?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts