1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the last few months, I have very carefully compared the Soul against:

All 2012:
Ford Fiesta and Focus
Chevy Sonic and Cruze (and even the 2011 HHR)
Honda Fit and Insight
Hyundai Accent, Elantra, and Veloster
Jeep Patriot

My final comparison happened today with a Veloster test drive. It's a cool car, but I decided that I simply need the space provided by the Soul. The Veloster was the last competitor to fall. So why won't I probably be buying a Soul?

In a word: Kia itself! I have decided that I want an Exclaim. I have talked to five Kia dealers, and none of them have any Exclaims at all. Some claim to have not gotten any Exclaims at all so far in the 2012 model year, and they have no idea when they might get one. Sounds very hit and miss, even amateurish. The closest Exclaims are hundreds of miles away in another state. I'm not willing to buy one with hundreds of miles on it (that's a used car, IMHO) nor am I willing to pay $1K to flat-bed it one in to make up for Kia's distribution shortcomings. And apparently, there is no way to order one from the factory. Reminds me of Henry Ford circa 1920: you can have any color you want as long as it's black.

The inability for the customer to order what he wants seems to be common among the imports. Meanwhile, the domestics all told me that I could anything that I wanted, and it would arrive exactly that way (I've always ordered my previous cars, all of which have been domestic...and six weeks later...poof!...I've got EXACTLY what I want sitting in my garage).

I'm getting tired of Kia dealers trying to sell me what they happened to have on their lots, Souls with trim levels and options that I simply don't want. End of rant.

The Ford Focus is starting to look better now.....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kia makes it hard for one to become a Kia customer.

(And their dealers who don't bother to return phone calls don't help.)

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,177 Posts
All I can say is DON"T buy a Kia! :p

·
Registered
6 Posts
Sorry to hear about the Exclaim or Plus not being available.

Sounds like more of a problem with your local dealers. Before we bought our base model we had received calls from two different dealers.

Our "local" dealer (about an hour away) has lots of base models, and at least one each of any color you would want in the ! and + you would want.

They "only" had one Hamster, but more coming.

You do need to let KIA know about the lack of product available in your area.

·
Registered
88 Posts
... I simply need the space provided by the Soul. The Veloster was the last competitor to fall. So why won't I probably be buying a Soul?

In a word: Kia itself! I have decided that I want an Exclaim...
I ran into a similar lack of inventory when I bought my Exclaim last month. There were 2 in metro Chicago, 1 in Northern Indiana, 1 in Wisconsin, 1 in Michigan and 2 in Ohio. My dealer tried to trade for all of them, and only 1 was willing to let theirs go. That's the car I now own. It was driven to Chicago, so it had a couple hundred miles on it when I took ownership, but that didn't bother me in the least. It really is a great car - I'd suggest letting go of any hangups you have about it and getting one! ;-)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Sounds like crummy dealers to me.

I ordered a shadow black exclaim /w premium package but then they found a titanium one an hour away and they went and got it for me.

Given my past experience with my 2011 sport and now this new one kia has bent over backwards to make me a happy customer. Even my local dealer has done that as well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I also had trouble finding a new 2012 Soul a couple of months ago. New England dealers simply weren't getting the inventory. Unfortunately, patience would do me no good as my Honda Element was totaled in a head-on. Auto insurance only gave me 30 days on a rental, so the clock was ticking.

None of the Rhode Island dealers could tell me with certainty what vehicles were coming or when they would arrive. Interestingly, one dealer did tell me that I couldn't get an Alien because the next one in was already sold.

During a two-week search, I saw only six 2012 Souls - two Base models, three Pluses, and a Hamstar. There were no Exclaims. I test drove the base and the Plus. By the time I decided on the Plus, there was only one left in the Ocean State. So I got the Rhode-Island-Red one.

Because of the lopsided supply vs. demand, I was only able to get 400 off of the sticker. I could have gotten a 2011 for 2000 off sticker, yet I didn't believe the tradeoff was worth it.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've been looking at just as many cars as the OP, and it looks like the Soul will be my choice.
At my dealership, they have no manual Souls available for me to test drive though. I went in last night (wanted to make sure my hockey bag would fit), and spoke to the sales guy. He asked me what I was looking at (2u, manual tranny). He told me he will bring one in for me on Saturday for me to test drive.
They also had 4u's in stock and even one Burner if I wasn't mistaken. It does seem to me like they have more of the base than anything else, but I just chalk that up to the popularity of the vehicle.
Also, look closely at the Focus reviews (not the reviews from magazines, but the forum reviews). There seems to be a lot of problems with them and the quality of the build. Guys are blowing oil out of the top of the engine, headliners coming apart, water buildup in the doors, steering issues. Not to mention the regular tranny complaints (which I'm not sure if they are really valid), and MFT complaints.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,168 Posts
The inability for the customer to order what he wants seems to be common among the imports. Meanwhile, the domestics all told me that I could anything that I wanted, and it would arrive exactly that way (I've always ordered my previous cars, all of which have been domestic...and six weeks later...poof!...I've got EXACTLY what I want sitting in my garage).

What's import and what's domestic these days. Even on domestics (I am assuming you mean Ford) you still have to get the vehicle within the parameters of the available options and features for that model, you just can't mix and match in any configuration. Pick a model and do a build, sometimes if you want one feature, it automatically gives you additional items that come along with that package.

My dealer did not have the model I wanted, but we made a deal and we had it in 5 days even though he had to send a guy on a 10 hour trip to get it by truck and trailer (9km on the clock when I picked it up). They bent over backwards to help me out, can't speak more highly of them - great dealership.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I have a pretty good dealer .... The Sales manager pretty much hit the nail on the head , When I traded my 2010 in on the 2012 back in early October , He had just gotten 5 Exclaims in , one of which was already pre sold (Moss) , I asked about getting another Moss , and he told me up front he had quite a few dealers calling him looking for Exclaims and the Moss color inparticular , and it just would'nt happen and Souls were going to be a commodity .... I searched around just to see .... The closest one I found was in Texas , about 800 miles away .... My dealer ended up selling all 5 Exclaims inside one week .... They never received any more exclaims
I was back at my dealer again Monday , Spoke with him again .... He claims Kia is trying to get another Plant operating in South Korea , and that currently they are setting the Production line to make a batch of all of " one thing " be it a batch of base , plus , or exclaim .... which makes sense based on what I have seen being available .... He is expecting to receive his next batch of souls with some Exclaims the first week of January .... The only thing he said that is abundant ar , Optimas and Sorentos .... Which are built up the road in West Point GA​

·
Registered
767 Posts
Gowron!

Give this number a try at KIA:

Consumer Assistance Center
800 - 333 - 4KIA (4542)

See if someone there, could possibly help you out in obtaining an Exclaim.

Best of Luck!

Cheers!

BB

·
Registered
518 Posts
<TWEET!> "Personal Foul: Inconsistency!" Throwing the flag here: You do research for months , but won't wait for the one you want? Check around a bit, it'll come!

And yes, we do know what you're going through, had to do some searching to even find a manual in a "Plus" or higher here, ended up finding one that works well for us. Good luck, be patient, you'll be driving it for years, waiting a few weeks is worth it. Consider also traveling to get the car you want - the airfare and gas may cost a couple hundred dollars, but it's a good investment if it's what you want, and you get an Adventure thrown into the bargain. You can get warranty work at the local Kia dealer...

That, or go to Mini, order up a Clubman or Countryman in the exact-and-extremely-complicated color combination you want, wait 6 weeks, and BOOM it's in your garage.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Every ford I have owned I sure as hell would not want to drive it today. Ford taraus, 2 explorers,zr2 thank goodness I bought tacoma over ranger. Cars I would not mind driving again if I could get them back 7 wranglers,80's bmw,tacomas. Fords are always going to be dogs. If the price was right I would drive one but to many good cars in 15k range. New hyundai accent is interesting with real 6speed auto or manual, not cvt! I like more expensive german cars but hey the kia soul is my baby bimmer. Why are you so hung up on exclaim? I was thinking about selling my soul and buying new car with automatic trans if I could figure way to do it without paying more money.

Interesting read about the clubman guy had one in front of his shop it was fugly! Poop brown with get this silver on back ends?

·
Registered
592 Posts
My SOUL and KIA dealership have been outstanding in every way, it's all about relationship building and quality both of which in my case have been the most positive vehicle ownership experience I personally have ever had.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had to wait 1.1/2 months for my 2012 dune base m/t. I had my 2011 soul to drive while I waited for the new car. Nobody likes to wait, and I was afraid the dealer might try to lower my trade in value or some other dealer trick. But in fact there just were not very many souls around. I checked every other dealers' inventories and in the entire state of ct. there were only 14 Souls, almost all of which were automatics and not base models, and apparently no Dunes. It's as if Kia just didn't understand the demand for this car. As if there's no one who's actually in charge of the logistics at Kia America. I had also considered that maybe some of their parts might actually come from Japan and the whole earthquake thing might have screwed up the chain of supply parts. I do know that my dealer was trying their best to get the car for me and so far it was worth the wait.

·
Premium Member
2015 Kia Soul + / Bright Silver / 2.0L (GDI) 4-Cyl Engine 6-Speed Automatic Trans
3,023 Posts
KIA is manufactured in Korea not Japan.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

·
Registered
160 Posts
Kia makes it hard for one to become a Kia customer.

(And their dealers who don't bother to return phone calls don't help.)
I can definitely relate to that one...looking forward to getting a Soul, but dread dealing with the local dealer.

I went in there a few years ago "just to look" and before I even got a chance to look at every car they had, the salesman pointed at "this one",a base model Spectra, grabbed the keys, and had me test driving it. I was then pulled into the office and another guy showed me some numbers I didn't like and tried to make it sound like it was the greatest deal in the world. I knew I had negative equity in my trade, but he seriously lowballed me and wouldn't come down any on the price of the car. He was trying to pull a fast one getting me to sign papers within 45 minutes of my coming in.

Long story short, my car got wrecked a few months later and was paid off fully. No negative equity and I even had a little to put down. Went back to the dealer on a Sunday when they were closed. Found one that I wanted- a fully loaded Rio for only about 15K. Called them the next morning, and twice more that week.

Since they couldn't lock me into a bad deal before, they wanted nothing to do with me now. Calls were never returned.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Ken88!

Try Internet Pricing at a few Dealers, even if they're not local. You might save yourself some $$$, albeit, you might have to drive a little further to get the deal.

You can always use your Local Dealer's Service Department for Oil Changes, Service Work, and Warranty items.

My Local Dealer has been great so far, including Sales, Parts & Service!

I'd rather drive another hour down the road, than deal with a Sales Department that won't return my calls.

Best of Luck to you in your search!

Cheers!

BB

1 - 20 of 26 Posts