Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay I Have been looking for a car for about 4 years now. I just got a raise at my job and I can now afford a tin can with wheels. I have my list narrowed down to a few cars and I wanted to ask you guys would the kia soul be a good college and get to work car. I have watched every video on it and read all the online info but I need real driver input to help me out. My parents are scared that it is small but I showed them the "how safe it is forum" and they were surprised it was a little tank. Can you guys tell me what are the good and bad parts of the car.

I am thinking of getting the (plus) 2.0 engine but leaving everything else base. My parents offered to pay half (if i got the exclaim) but I want to do this on my own, 19k isn't that bad ( I payed for college on my own, though I still live at home for now)
The style isn't bad and it seems roomy inside and while the cargo space isn't like my mom's honda accord it isn't that bad.

Would this car be a good first car for a college kid. ( I have driven my mom's honda and my dad's manual Saturn ion. Would you feel safe letting your son/daughter drive this car (the soul) I will only be driving this car to college to work and then back home (and) maybe taking a friend to her college basket ball games. Nothing crazy.

Also do some models come with a spare tire, I really don't want a patch kit, and if not will a regular size tire fit in the back.

Lastly can you tell me if you have the 2014/2015 model and what package you went with. I want to see what everyone is getting

Thanks

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
one of the safest cars on the road, but like every car the object behind the steering wheel is the weakest link

All models come standard with the tire mobility kit, compact spare will fit under the underfloor storage tray (about $200 extra), full size spare will not (unless you dump the tray)

I have the 2012 model, with the 2.0L engine.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm probably going to be your best bet answer on college vehicle being a college student myself. I have the 2013 Soul and have had it for two years now since I drove it off the lot with just 1 mile on it. The car is great, I kept it stock for the past two years and only this year started doing things to it. I have put this car through a lot since I bought it and she's taken it well. I live about 5 minutes from school and about 10-15ish....if I'm speeding from work. (I'd say 8 miles to school, 18 miles to work). I've put 20k miles onto the car between school, work, road trips, and just stupid fun. Between the cargo space and great handling and size this is a great college car you'll love it.

·
Registered
847 Posts
I think it's a great little car. I picked mine up as I was having some little problems with my truck during a job project this winter and one day I had had enough. I really liked the looks of the Soul and the warranty was the icing on the cake. I wanted a stick and the only Soul that can be had with a stick is the base and thankfully they come with a lot of extras I was not expecting. I think you would be very happy with the little Soul and won't look back.

Mark

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have the 2.0L. No issues thusfar. I have to get new wheels and tires tomorrow as the 18" wheel-tire combo on the Exclaim wear far faster than the Base and + tires do with the smaller wheels so I'm going down to 16" however that's normal.

·
Super Moderator
9,512 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I have had five of these, currently 3. I drive a 2014 Exclaim, my son drives a 2012 base, and my daughter drives a 2012 Exclaim. The base has been in an interstate pile up sandwiched between two cars, well the one behind was a truck. The car was repaired (9700 damages to a five month old car that cost 17700 OTD). He did not have a scratch on him and the car was repaired better than before the accident. It has not had any problems other than normal maintenance and is on its second set of tires.

It is a little tank.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I love mine, I have a 2014 +. As for safety, a coworker had one and t-boned a car that ran a red light. The car was totaled but all he had were some minor bruises. His next car was another Soul +

·
Registered
254 Posts
I've had 3 souls. My first one was my college car. 2012 +w/ manual transmission. (By far my favorite)
A 2012! And a 2013 +with auto tranny

We still have the 2012! And 2013
If you like driving stick, look for a + model. It's a blast to drive

·
Registered
155 Posts
If you're a college student and still moving often, see if you can stuff all your belongings in the back of a soul. If it fits, you're golden.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Good car all the way around, and take your parents up on the paying for half thing. College is expensive and they'll be old one day and you can help them out when you get to that point.

My brother got a 2014 base model. Got the spare tire thrown in to make the deal. I have a 2012 & 2013 models, mine stick, wife's automatic. All base but I've upgraded mine with all the good **** so it's more or less the plus model with the 1.6 engine.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Darn lucky to get a Soul @ your stage in life . It will take transportation worrys off your plate . Not to mention the cool factor ! I am on Soul #3 , bought a 2010 in 2009 , liked it so much I bought another 2010 in feb. of 2010 . Drove 1 50k ,traded it in a Sportage .....Drove the other 115k trouble free miles ,traded it in a Veloster (still have it) Traded the Sportage in a 2015 Soul . nuff said

·
Registered
847 Posts
Same tech on the engines just one is a little smaller and hence a little less performance and a very little tad better fuel mileage. The only saving grace is the 1.6L can be had with a stick and that was the driving factor for me. Both are good motors.

Mark

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can drive mannual but for my first car i want a automatic.there a lot of sales on the 1.6 liter in my area. Thanks guys.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,618 Posts
The Soul is a good car for anyone who likes it, joe college or otherwise.

The 2.0 has noticeably more torque. I had a 2013 1.6 and now have a 2015 2.0. Published acceleration data are not different by a lot, but the 2.0 has an easier time of it.

Also my 1.6 ran about 25 MPH/1000 RPM in top gear. The stick I believe spins more than that. The 2.0 runs about 30 MPH/1000 RPM in top gear.

Good luck and welcome to the forums.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts