Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question for those of you that have gotten coil overs. The stance on your cars looks great but the common problem seems to be that the rear drop is pretty limited. What seems to be the issue? Is it that the springs aren't short enough or that the car simply can't go lower without heave modification?

I know I've seen 1 or 2 bagged Souls out there that look great but I'm not sure how extensive their modifications are.

So this is just a curiosity to see what is limiting the coilover suspension on the rear. The front drop looks to be pretty perfect.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I'm not a big fan of drops.
However,it is your vehicle,and you wish to do same.
Do it right.
It may cost.
Adjustable coilovers with other cars seem to work. then you may have additional
parts such as camber parts.
Want done right,get a custom air suspension. Big bucks though.

Most I have seen want the drop for looks.
An option is body mods such as skirts,lips,rear diffusers to give a lower appearance.
If these parts are not available,fabricate or modify from parts available.
I have done this with my 350Z. The car has a stock /height suspension. I do have added
sway bars and Koni shocks but thats it.The addition of body mods as I have mentioned lowers the
overall car about 2". THe downside is steep driveways and speed bumps.
With the costly air suspension,you would not have to worry.
Its only money,right?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your input and you are right. I've done a few cars with coilovers or springs. My Soul currently has drop sprigs now and I like the improved suspension feel but I want to go lower. In this case, I want to go lower for looks and coilovers are way less expensive than going with an air bag set up.

My last car was on coilovers for performance and track reasons

It seems there is a common issue of limited drop in the rear, though, with the coilovers for the Kia Soul, and was wondering what caused this. If the springs were just still too tall or if it was a frame issue.

My mustang had a similar set up in the rear but it could go significantly lower than what's allowed in the Soul, coilover wise.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Thanks for your input and you are right. I've done a few cars with coilovers or springs. My Soul currently has drop sprigs now and I like the improved suspension feel but I want to go lower. In this case, I want to go lower for looks and coilovers are way less expensive than going with an air bag set up.

My last car was on coilovers for performance and track reasons

It seems there is a common issue of limited drop in the rear, though, with the coilovers for the Kia Soul, and was wondering what caused this. If the springs were just still too tall or if it was a frame issue.

My mustang had a similar set up in the rear but it could go significantly lower than what's allowed in the Soul, coilover wise.
Maybe the Soul was just not designed to be lowered to that extent?
Every vehicle I have ever driven/rode in that had excessive lowering(save air bag set ups)rode
like a buck board. The owners would just smile and gush about "how better the road feel was" and such...
There was a trend in my area awhile ago with Mustang owners wishing to go lower. They just yanked
out the coils and cut them.
Ouch!
Guess your comfort pays the price for vanity.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm on the same boat here!
Got lowering springs and looking forward to coil-overs sometime in the future...
Now, by what I've seen and read, the rear springs on the Soul are already quite short. With the lowering springs it lowered nicely on the front and not so much on the rear and the same seems to happen with the coil-overs if you want to go lower. The rear springs are too short with not much room for travel. And with the adjusting rings take some of that space you haven't got much to work with!
What I have read, is that if you want to get that level lowered look, they've gotten rid of the adjusting rings and thread altogether and just used the bare spring. It seems to work nicely without doing any weird mods on the chassis.
If I'm not mistaken, littledevil I think is her name, has a post on issues with her coil-overs...
hope this helps, cheers...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah, I think that's what i've read as well. I recently heard about maybe using Kia Forte rear springs to even out the drop as well and I'm trying to look into that.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Much depend on the effort & $$$ you want to spend on getting A more extreme
rear lowering done.
Anything is possible.
Perhaps you can retro fit a rear suspension from another vehicle that will allow for
a greater drop. Possibly the current suspension could be modified to be fit further
in the vehicle.
In the days of customizing(50's-60's)these things were done all the time.

Just takes creativity and the ability to do the job.

IMO,installing a air suspension would be cheaper&ride better.

·
Registered
222 Posts
You're limited to the travel of the type of suspension in the rear. The rear is a torsion plate suspension. My car is SLAMMED in the rear, and has next to no suspension travel. I have custom springs in the rear as well as BC racing coilover shocks.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts