Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve never had a check engine light on until last night out of the blue while I was on my way to work. The recalls have been done on the car and oddly enough the light just happens to come on weeks after the work was done. The one for the steering and the one to prevent the converter from overheating. I’ve searched through the forums but can’t find a good solid answer to how I can fix this code. I saw a response from Hank actually where he had this issue but I never saw a fix. My mechanic told me it could be the idle air control valve but that was a guess after looking up the code. Any help would be appreciated

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
The vehicle Powertrain Control Module (PCM) monitors the oxygen sensor heater control circuit current draw. The check engine light will illuminate when the current requirements are too high or.

·
Registered
76 Posts
P050A is a code for higher than expected idle RPM. It happens to all Souls on startup in cold weather at times. Throttle body cleaning, carbon cleaning etc.. can kind of help it but in reality there is no fix for it. Kia has just released an update to fix the code on Gen1 Souls but there is no update for the Gen 2 yet, sorry.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It has 69,000, throttle body hasn’t been cleaned and yes I believe there is an idle air control valve

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So clean the throttle body, possibly just change the idle air control valve since it’s really cheap. If that doesn’t work it’s just whenever they decide to release a update for the gen 2? I’m assuming upgrading the pcm isn’t really going to solve anything either

·
Registered
76 Posts
There is no IAC, you have a drive by wire throttle body. The higher then expected RPM at startup is not damaging. If you ever dove into computer coding, basically you have parameters and if one of them is exceeded it triggers the check engine light. Slightly higher idle is not a damaging issue. If you looked at the live data the computer is trying to control the RPM by varying the throttle body opening amongst other things, when it sees RPM climb higher than what it thinks it should be for the amount of control it is giving it just says "hey something is not right" hence why throttle body cleaning can help that code go away for a while because even a small amount of dirt affects it. Back in the day I used to see tons of codes on GM for throttle body, you could actually go into the data and see the % that the computer is adjusting for the dirt in the throttle body, once it reached 80-90% it triggered the code as it knew it was about to not be able to control it. I have not dove into the update for the Gen1 Souls that just came out for that code but I can guess that essentially they just changed the parameter to higher before it triggers the light rather than change how it starts, just guessing. There are a lot of problems that occur after some mileage from sensors that are reading but no longer accurate, they haven't actually failed but they are somewhere near the threshhold. At Kia our scan tool has an Oscilloscope we can attach to it and it has output controls so we can simulate a sensor, an example would be that your coolant sensor at X temp should be reading X volts, we can unplug your sensor and plug in the scope and simulate X voltage and see if computer is reading correctly or sensor is out just a little bit.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
There is no IAC...
Did not see one on my 2019, but thought there may be one on a 2015.
Hence the third question in post 5
AutoZone thinks they have one for a 2015, but not other auto parts I checked.

·
Registered
2015 Kia Soul
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I can say I got home this morning and when I started my car the engine light wasn’t on this time

·
Premium Member
Co. 6900ft 2018 and 2012 Soul+
297 Posts
Knock on wood and Thank You God, I have not had any problems with my 2012 at all. He seems a little louder than he used, but at 75k now, he's not a young car anymore.. I haven't gotten any recall letters on the 2012 yet. Kia dealership does all the major services, and took care of any recalls when I have it in, so I've never really been affected. Darn lucky I feel. Darn lucky..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts