Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 Soul+ gave me a check engine light today. The ODB reader says P0303, and I did not see anything else that looked like a problem. Although there is a lot of info that I don't know what it is.

It started after driving up the somewhat long and steep Freeway grade from Camarillo to Thousand Oaks. Forget if I lost momentum approaching the upgrade or just did not have it to start with. But ended up running pedal to floor at 70 MPH uphill with 5,500 RPMs on the clock for maybe 2 minutes, ish. It was rather noisy but seemed fine. Of course after we topped the hill and started on a little downhill, the traffic came almost to a halt. Then the car was vibrating at idle. Seems like it smooths out after 2,000 RPM or so. No check engine light or other indication of problem at that time. Drove the other 25 - 30 miles home and parked. Went out half an hour later to go to store and a block from home check engine light comes on. Same vibrations. Looked under hood, engine is shaking quite a bit.

Found this on another site. I hope it's just a wire or spark plug. OBD reader said Cat was OK, and it is not low on fuel.
Guess it's going to the shop Monday, although I'll take another look under the hood tommorrow. Pull off engine cover and see if anything obvious looks wrong. Dang. :cautious:

A code P0303 may mean that one or more of the following has happened:
Faulty spark plug or wire
Faulty coil (pack)
Faulty oxygen sensor(s)
Faulty fuel injector
Burned exhaust valve
Faulty catalytic converter(s)
Running out of fuel
Poor compression
Defective computer

Read more at: OBD-II Trouble Code: P0303 Cylinder 3 Three Misfire Detected
Copyright OBD-Codes.com

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Guess I have only taken the engione cover off once or twice before. I forgot the plug wires go right into the wiring harness. You can't just unplug both ends and replace them like older cars. Still don't see how to rmove the coil from the plug closest to the drivers side on my 2.0 engine. There just is not room. Decided to not mess with it if I can't replace all 4 plugs. Off to the shop it goes, work is too busy for me to spend time messing with it, with doubtful chance of success.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Conejo grade is 7% (most freeway grades do not exceed 6%), so, your Soul was working.
How old are the plugs?
Primary connection to #3 coil good?
Probably #3 plug / coil, but if you don't want to wrestle with #1 (more than one thread on the subject), then your shop decision understood.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Conejo grade is 7% (most freeway grades do not exceed 6%), so, your Soul was working.
How old are the plugs?
Primary connection to #3 coil good?
Probably #3 plug / coil, but if you don't want to wrestle with #1 (more than one thread on the subject), then your shop decision understood.
Thanks, Doc.
No time or inclination to mess with that.

Plugs were at 83,778 when delivered to shop this AM. When I went back this PM I asked about condition of the plugs. The service writer guy went back and came out with 2 plugs. The electrodes were black but did not look particularly oily or sooty.

They said codes 0303 cyl #3 and 0300, random misfire. Switched coils around and the misfire went to #2.
So they replaced #3 coil and 4 spark plugs.

Bill was $130 diagnose. Coil $144 + $65 labor. Plugs $27.28 x 4 ~ $109. Labor $130. Tax $24. Total $602.
A bit of a shocker, but when they break it down it seem reasonable but not cheap. No way I was messing with that fuel line or whatever blocking coil removal on #1. Anyway, plugs will be good for a loooong time now.

For s&g they recommend:
Brake fluid exchange $130, not cheap but not horrible I'll guess.
AC Filter replace $74, bahahaha, are you kidding me? Almost pure profit there.
Outer tie rods loose and need replace $306 add 4 wheel align $110. I need to look at these. They gave me a pic of a rubber boot splitting.
Coolant exchange $167. This looks like a candidate for me to diy.
Fuel induction / injection service as preventative maint $145. I put in Gumout a week or 2 ago and run top tier gas. Pass.

Back In January they recommended a serpentine belt which has not been done. This was not recommended this time,. Hmmmm.

This is an Indy shop specializing in Asian cars fwiw. AAA / Auto Club recommended.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Oh well, your running good, again.

It may look challenging, but several members with 2.0 have reported wiggling the coil past the fuel tube.
O'Reilly's coils are $47.99 to $79.99

NGK iridium spark plugs are $8.99

Brake flush is typically $100

Air filter ~ $15

Compromised rubber may let dirt enter, but not necessarily indicate tie rod end issues.
Is steering normal?
Alignment OK?
Front tires wearing even?
The mechanic should advise you of specs and what yours measures.

When you replace coolant, you may want to change thermostat.

Serpentine belts are lasting 90K or so, these days. I replaced the one on my truck at 62K as preventative maintenance.

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl
335 Posts
Interesting thread. MS, there is no shame in getting a shop to do the work if one is busy. It is always good to understand the options. Thanks Doc for chiming in.

A few questions and suggestions:

Is there a way to jack up the Soul and check for either tie rod wear or control arm wear? At 84K miles and over, watching the front end is not a bad idea.

In theory, the alignment could be fine and the tire wear could be even and acceptable but the tie rod ends and/or control arms could still be due for replacement.

Switching out the Serpentine belt should be relatively easy and is good preventative maintenance. The belt should be easy to inspect for wear and cracks.

Coolant exchange. Am about to do this myself on the Soul. Will have to acquire a large enough drain pan. In addition to switching out the thermostat, is switching out the water pump at the same time a good idea?

Fuel induction / injection service as preventative maint $145. I put in Gumout a week or 2 ago and run top tier gas. Pass.
What would the fuel induction / injection service involve? Walnut blasting? Intake valve cleaning? At a modest $145, that would be a good idea for an owner who had not been aggressively maintaining the Soul in light of the GDI engine maintenance challenges.

If using Gumout or similar, is it not a good idea to change the motor oil shortly afterwards? If the Soul is occasionally climbing grades at over 5K rpm, you would think the injectors would be rather clean. :) I try not to run the Soul at over 4K rpm unless passing.

·
Registered
908 Posts
When I worked for Honda, circa 1994, it was standard procedure to replace water pump when replacing timing belt, since most of the labor was already done for the belt.

Kia has a timing chain.

Generally, best to monitor any weeping from the hole between seal and bearing, then immediately replace.

OTOH, when my son bought a 30 year old F250 with 108,000 miles, the water pump was replaced as one of the preventative items (belts, hoses, fluids)

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is there a way to jack up the Soul and check for either tie rod wear or control arm wear? At 84K miles and over, watching the front end is not a bad idea.
I'm not sure I know what to look for if I do that. Maybe I will get a second opinion inspection.

The Gumout was a bottle of fuel system cleaner, so went in the gas tank.
Nobody has suggested I replace the water pump. Yet.

When I worked for Honda, circa 1994, it was standard procedure to replace water pump when replacing timing belt, since most of the labor was already done for the belt.
Before the Soul I had a 2008 Accord V6, which recommended a water pump at timing belt change time. So that would have been an expensive service. But I sold it because I did not trust if after an almost $1,000 repair. If that had not worked the next thing was new pistons and rings. Their variable cylinder management system on those was crap. Killed my faith in Honda reliability.

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl
335 Posts
The Gumout was a bottle of fuel system cleaner, so went in the gas tank.
If I correctly understand the received wisdom, it is a good idea to change the oil not too long after fuel treatments. Some of dislodged carbon deposits and other dislodged contaminants will find their way into the motor oil.

Though I do recall at least one manufacturer of fuel treatments recommending that the treatment be done AFTER an oil change.

Nobody has suggested I replace the water pump. Yet.
Judging from what the Doc is saying and the general absence of water pump failure anecdotes, it would seem that the water pump is not a concern until much farther down the road.

I asked because so many counsel "if you take out part X, while you are there you might as well take out part Y". Example: in my 4X4 world, the received wisdom is that if you switch in a new radiator, you should switch in a thermostat at the same time because it is relatively easy to do with the radiator out.

·
Registered
908 Posts
In the case of Honda:

1. It is hidden under the timing belt cover, so seeping from weep hole is not likely to be seen until it becomes a puddle where you park.

2. It is easily accessible with the cover and belt off, so changing with the belt is sensible.

Now that most vehicles spring tension belts, removing the effects of over-tightening, which enhances the life of bearings in belt driven components.

My 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.3 was on original water pump at 140,000 miles.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts