Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a motorcycle that had been on the east coast for some time. It had acquired some small corrosion issues in that time.

This summer I’ll be vacationing at coastal waters for a month. Does anyone have advice/experience for caring for my Soul in a saltwater coast environment?

Rusty brake discs, paint chip, parking cable, or anything?

You coastal folk prob'ly know things we inlanders don't even think of.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,401 Posts
Hey Rio,

I've vacationed on the Pacific coast, like 500 feet from the waves. The car would be coated in a sticky dried salt film.

The best I can suggest is to give a good coat of wax before you head out. Then see if you can park in a garage or, invest in a car tarp. When you get a chance afterwards be sure to rinse the underbody thoroughly with fresh water. Especially that area in the back up under the middle where you'll notice just paint but no undercoating.

And of course, be sure to post photos of your holiday!

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
I'm heading out to Newfoundland for 3 weeks or so in June. I would think whatever we do "inland" in winter as we get lots of salt on the road that is far more excessive than any salt air in summer to be of much concern.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Vacation for a month....

You have absolutely nothing to worry about.

A normal quality car soap and water wash/ possibly a waxing should do the trick.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Agreed with cheferman65. Kia sells lots of cars to those of us on the coasts. The corrosion protection on today's cars is pretty dialed in, hence the 6 year, 60,000 mile corrosion warranty. Spending a few months near the sea won't require anything special for you. The wax idea is a good one in all cases. If you're really worried, just make sure you wash the car really well when you get home and consider a car wash with an underbody wash feature. I've live near the salt water for 48 years and have never had rust issues on any car that gets regular care. Ironically, most cars that have serious rust seem to come from the areas of the country that use salt on the roads in winter.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
~ JUST-DO-IT ~ It's All You Need ~

Just bucket wash your car, and the Wax & Silacones will be left behind in all the Cracks & Creveses on your car after rinsing (that's a good thing)...
Once a week if your car is kept out in the elements...

Turtle Wax Zip Wax Car Wash and Wax Review
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dx_A5HAOlmk
Don't forget to use a NICE SPONGE

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
In Florida, we all live near the coast. Even my yard was once beach front property and Under Salt Water, so a weekly trip to the car wash, mainly to clean the undercarriage, is a good idea.

I do love Turtle Wax Car Wash, and I DO use it when I hand wash the painted surfaces of my car. I just don't have the ability to pressure wash the underside of the car, so I go to a Self Serve car wash and use the high pressure wand to get under the car and clean out the engine compartment.

Living in an area with natural salt is addressed in the Kia Soul Users Manual.

See items D and E.

It's all spelled out in plain English.

Cheers mates,
:cool:

·
Registered
186 Posts
One suggestion about removing the salt from underneath your Soul. Buy a fan sprinkler and slide it underneath your vehicle. Start at the front and let the sprinkler run for at least 10 minutes. Have a beer while you are waiting. After 10 minutes or one beer, pull the sprinkler about 3 to 4 feet towards the rear of the car. Go back in to your home and have another beer. I think you are getting the point, let the sprinkler do the work for you. Everyone will spend hours washing the top side of their car, but neglect the underneath. Little work with a great reward. REMEMBER, DON'T DRIVE AFTER WASHING THE UNDERNEATH OF YOUR CAR. :drunk: This also works great after being on muddy trails.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,401 Posts
One suggestion about removing the salt from underneath your Soul. Buy a fan sprinkler and slide it underneath your vehicle. Start at the front and let the sprinkler run for at least 10 minutes. Have a beer while you are waiting. After 10 minutes or one beer, pull the sprinkler about 3 to 4 feet towards the rear of the car. Go back in to your home and have another beer. I think you are getting the point, let the sprinkler do the work for you. Everyone will spend hours washing the top side of their car, but neglect the underneath. Little work with a great reward. REMEMBER, DON'T DRIVE AFTER WASHING THE UNDERNEATH OF YOUR CAR. :drunk: This also works great after being on muddy trails.
That's much better than my idea of putting a slip n' slide under the car and duct taping sponges on the kids backs.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts