Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

Clutch replacement at 45,000 miles. 2014 Soul 1.6

13K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  jdmartin 
#1 ·
I helped my son buy a 2014 Soul 3 years ago. It has 45,000 mile son it, many highway, and the clutch has failed. The dealer told him he needed a new clutch and should replace the starter at the same time: $1800. An independent shop with a good reputation has no idea why the suggest replacing the starter and quote $1123.31 without.

Anyone have any idea why the starter should be replaced, and why the clutch went out at only 45K? Any reason he should pay a premium to work with the dealer?

His first car was a used Ford Focus stick and he it was still good when he sold it at 65K. He doesn't drive it hard or ride the clutch. Thanks for any feedback.

#2 ·
Welcome. Clutches go out for many reasons, mainly having to do with how they have been driven but also just happenstance and perhaps some bad parts. If you bought it new, it should be under warranty. If you bought it used (not sure from your write up), then the original driver may have had a hand in it's undoing. Still sounds like it should be under warranty though.

#3 ·
The clutch only has a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty because it's a wear item. I think the flywheel has a 5 year/60,000 mile warranty however.

Brake and Clutch Linings

Brake linings, including pads and shoes, and clutch
linings are warranted for 12 months/12,000 miles,
whichever comes first, if they fail to function
properly during normal use. Brake linings are
designed to wear out as part of the process of
stopping your vehicle safely and consistently while
providing reasonable levels of noise and vibration
during normal use. Brake or clutch linings function
properly during normal use even if they need
replacement in less than the full warranty period.
Rather, most replacements at lower mileage are
required by driver usage habits which can cause high
rates of wear. In addition, brake lining wear is
substantially increased by environmental conditions
such as exposure to road salt or due to regular
driving in stop and go rush hour traffic. The more
wear factors which are present, the more rapid the
wear. Resulting repairs and replacements of linings
are not covered by your warranty.

http://www.kia.com/us/k3/content/media/all/warranty/2014_warranty.pdf

#4 · (Edited)
~ A Motto To Live By ~
A clutch is "Wearing-Out" if its "Not-In-Or-OUT"...!!! Anything "In-Between" and its "Wearing-Out"...YUP

Somebody is using to much Clutch Slippage getting that Little motor rolling. That's the only place there would be any wear. You take off slow for just a few feet, and the fully out with the clutch. My Dad could make a Clutch last a Life Time... He only used it get rolling and never again for the upper gears... My KID used one up in 25,000 miles... She used it like a Automatic Transmission... When she got done the Flywheel was Blue, and Check Cracked...!!!...???...<:-(( Needless to say I put a Automatic Back In That Car...!!! She is NOT ALOUD To OWN A STCK SHIFT CAR AGAIN...!!!

#5 ·
it's a serviceable item - "your mileage will vary"

Can't see what the starter has to do with the situation, never heard of much problems with starters since I've been on this forum. You can get your vehicle serviced at any place of your choosing when your paying the bill, there is no stipulation that you have to use the dealer. You didn't say what the dealer wants without the starter.

#6 · (Edited)
Did you or your son ask why the starter should be replaced? We can't speculate based on NO information as to why your Kia tech told him that.

From what you tell us in your first time post is:

Your son is a really good clutch driver.
Easy highway miles on the car.
Your Kia tech seems shady.
Kia charges premium repair rates.
The Soul clutch wore out too soon.
You are not the driver & don't know for sure the driving events of the car.

You wouldn't be the first father to hear "but dad, I drive it so good & easy."

It may be just as it sounds or, the truth is somewhere in between.

My dad would have told me it's my problem now :)

All the best!

#11 · (Edited)
It it IS his problem, but as I am an old fart who used to do basic tunes on my air cooled VW Sqaureback he does depend on my for advice. :) Glad I am good for something. His first car was a used Focus stick that he learned to drive on the hill of Seattle. That clutch was still good at 65,000. I have driven with him many times and he seems to shift smoothly. The dealer told him today that they have a new starter that doesn't fit well with the new clutch. Who knows...

#7 ·
I would ignore the starter advice. It can be replaced any time if it's truly bad. A clutch that's not defective from the start goes bad (generally) from either contamination (something leaking and getting into the disc), abuse (riding the clutch, dumping the clutch), or eventual wear (a little bit of friction material goes away every time you use it).

If you are good with a clutch, you can get many miles out of them. Eventually all clutch discs will wear out; they're not that thick. I've replaced 2 in my cars, but one was just an annoying squealing pilot bushing. I've done over a million miles of driving, almost all of it on clutches over the past 30 years.

When you get it fixed, I'd ride in the passenger seat and watch him shift. If the left foot isn't resting on the floor mat between shifts he is riding the clutch, period. If there are noticeable jerks in the shifts, on a regular basis, he's not matching the gear ratio with the engine speed; that's going to wear out a clutch faster. Technically, someone who knows what they are doing can slide gears in and out without a clutch, though no one should do this anymore, period. But in the days before synchronizers, you either could do this or gears would grind.

#8 ·
Welcome to the forum, forget replacing the starter if you are not having problems with it, this is likely just an extra cash grab, starter usually works or it doesn't there is no in between. as for clutch, well they wear for a variety of reasons which is why the warranty is noticeably short.

Pat.

#10 ·
I helped my son buy a 2014 Soul 3 years ago.

He doesn't drive it hard or ride the clutch.

Your son sounds like an angel.

Me? At that age, I drove like an idiot.
Somebody pull along side me at a light,
give me a look, and it was ON!

The race, off the line, that is...

Plus, with a light car and a peppy engine
The roads were mine! Bu-hahahaha-ha!

Yeah, I'm sure it's just a parts issue. Wink wink nudge nudge!

jdmartin says:

When you get it fixed, I'd ride in the passenger seat and watch him shift.

^^^ That's like laboratory conditions.

When Dad, IS NOT IN THE CAR,
is when the real world conditions
show themselves.

Glad you found the Kia Soul Forums!
Keep us posted on your particulars.

#13 ·
Thanks for all the feedback, and humorous comments. My son is 27, not 17, and very concerned the environment (as am I). He actually uses the silly shift lights. He may drive it harder when I am not around, but how hard can you drive this little engine? Anyway, I talked to an independent shop with a good reputation and they found out that the started may have to be replaced as they are using a different one now and are not sure the old one will fit. The ticket writer is going to make sure it is needed and knows that the old man is watching. :) I also found a 15% off service coupon on line. Finally, I found the answer here for solving the annoying hesitation after shifting. Hooray! Now I will enjoy driving his car too!

#14 ·
Hey Lew, how does he do using the hill-holder? I've noticed a friend who always burns up the clutch (like I smell burnt clutch) when the stop light turns green and she panics. I'm sure she will go through hers 4 times faster than me.

The trick of course, is not to panic. I have come to like the hill holder. Especially when AHoles pull up 3 inches from my bumper on a steep hill. I'm a seasoned stick shifter guy and didn't need this hill holder device, but it's there and we are now "one." :)

Good info on the starter situation. Please keep us posted on how that turns out.

All the best!

#15 ·
He picked up his car Saturday and they didn't replace the starter. It was under $1200 out the door with the 15% off coupon.

The ticket writer is lame. When I first talked to him about the repair I mentioned the 15% off coupon on their website. He said it only applied to service, not to repairs. I told him it said no such thing and had my son call the service manager, who said it applied. When he picked up the car the had to remind the service writer. He must get commission on the "profit" in the work. He then had the gall to ask my son to recommend him on their website! Right...

Today I did the clutch switch mod and the car shifts great now. Thanks to MarkM for that thread. It really is a big deal to me and I am sure my son will appreciate it.

#16 ·
Excellent, so thanks for the update. I didn't figure there was any reason to replace the starter but with car companies today, who knows what kind of changes they might make just changing suppliers. I need to do the clutch valve mod myself, I have been saying that for 4 years but I just never seem to have any time :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.