Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently had my clutch serviced (throw out bearing, pressure plate and disc) .... the clutch pedal feels funny and the transmission shifts stiffly .... the clutch disengages when the pedal is rather close to the firewall .... the mechanic thinks I should rebuild or replace the clutch master cylinder .... any ideas ? There is no adjustment on the hydraulic system .... is there an adjustment on the clutch pedal ? My car has 120,000 miles on the odometer. Thanks for any help ! Monedas

·
Registered
364 Posts
With those miles. I would change both the master and slave cylinders. Mostly the slave as being the operator closest to the transmission.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,404 Posts
I agree with suv_drift, I'd start with the slave cylinder. I'm kinda surprised they didn't replace that while replacing the clutch considering the wear and tear.

The other thing to remember is no matter what, a new clutch will feel quite a bit different than the old one. Give it a couple of weeks where you get used to it and it gets used to you (somebody moved your cheese kinda of deal).

All the best and please keep us posted on your outcomes.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Well, that's one problem I'll never have. My AT always shifts faster than I ever could, and I spent years driving cars with an MT.

But, at 74, I just don't feel like shifting gears again. My left leg could never stand all the clutching and shifting. It's just so much easier to just put the gas pedal down, and GO!

Happy Trails, Mates

:cool:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FLHamster, Thanks and points well taken .... the Soul isn't so bad for shifting as the seat is high .... I've been shifting all my life and I enjoy it .... feel like part of the machine, I guess .... on occasion I've had to push start the thing .... also, when I was having trouble with the crankshaft position sensor the car would be difficult to start .... I disconnected the clutch ignition switch .... when I stalled in traffic .... I could put it in gear and chug to the curb with the starter motor .... it's also a theft deterrent .... fewer young punks know how to drive a stick .... and when you get in a low gas situation, you can coast and skimp like crazy to get to the next gas station .... it weighs a little less and is cheaper to buy .... most advertiser specials are stick shift .... you get less when you sell it, maybe .... it's almost a collector's item ? I guess I'm a cheap old bastard and always will be ? Monedas

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, GeoSoul ! I might look for a used slave cylinder .... new ones are about $80 .... I only paid $174 for the clutch kit and $120 and a bottle of Tequila for the labor .... I did have to buy 2 quarts of gear oil and a Timken seal for the right drive shaft .... damaged by the mechanic .... gafas del oficio .... part of the deal ? Monedas

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I have nothing against MT's or the people who like to drive them. Been there, done that!

My last MT was in a Chevy Sprint Turbo. The last time I drove it the 75 miles to Orlando and back left me with a very painful left leg, from all the clutching needed to get through Orlando traffic.
I must have shifted gears close to 1000 times that day.

During the time I had that little hot rod, I changed the clutch twice. I loved to rev the engine till the turbo was howling like a banshee and then pop the clutch and watch the smoke pour off of the front tires. That was lots of fun, but really hard on the little clutch plates. lol
Wasn't too good for the tires either.

My very next car, a Ford LTD, had an AT, and I've not owned an MT since.
Many things have to change when you get old and infirm. I have a lot less knee pain, driving an AT.

And, the six speed AT in my Kia Soul is a really excellent piece of work. It does a better job than I could ever do. OH, I could still slam some gears If I had to, but I just don't have to. :)

I hope I didn't upset anyone with my comments about the MT. That was never my intention.

Cheers Mates, and Happy Motoring!

FL Hamster :cool:

·
Registered
157 Posts
I would of just broke down and had the dealer to do it.
Hope at 80,000 miles you had the water pump and timing chain or belt replaced Also.

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
I would of just broke down and had the dealer to do it.
Hope at 80,000 miles you had the water pump and timing chain or belt replaced Also.
Not necessary! NO BELTS! It's been a STEEL CHAIN for several years and that steel chain should be good for at least 200,000 miles.
The water pump will last a lot longer if you just change the coolant on a regular schedule, as per the OM.

New Anti-Freeze comes with a Water Pump Lubricant additive. Or you can just add your own.

Cheers mates!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
clutch job adjustment

Hamster and Cardboard, Thanx ! I fixed the clutch adjustment problem ! There is a small 3/8 diameter 4 inch long activating rod from the slave to the lever that pushed against the throw out bearing ! A local junk yard mechanic checked the purging .... good .... then pulled out the activator rod .... I went home and found a 3/8th inch bolt .... I cut off the head which left it 1/2 inch longer than the factory rod . I ground both ends round and put a dab of axle grease on each end . The mechanic threw it in .... voila .... the clutch now engages 4 inches higher .... perfect new car feel ! I got advice from friends and the mechanic was very helpful . The cost was $30 pesos to purge the clutch .... although that wasn't the problem. $50 pesos to exchange the activator rod .... he didn't even jack up the car .... 5 minutes . (as a tip) I gave him half a tube of orange hand cleaner and a half full can of penetrating oil with a missing nozzle .
God bless Mexican junk yard mechanics ! Under $10 dollars . I still may have to change the slave cylinder in the future .... but, that could be a long time off ! Monedas

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,404 Posts
Muy bueno, muy bueno!

Great write up Monedas. I like your style! Get er done!

·
Registered
750 Posts
Not necessary! NO BELTS! It's been a STEEL CHAIN for several years and that steel chain should be good for at least 200,000 miles.
The water pump will last a lot longer if you just change the coolant on a regular schedule, as per the OM.

New Anti-Freeze comes with a Water Pump Lubricant additive. Or you can just add your own.

Cheers mates!
I think the OP has a 2011 model which does have belts. Kia changed to chains with the 2012 models. So he SHOULD consider a timing belt (and water pump while he's in there).

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to all ! I typed a complete and informative narrative of my success .... when I went to edit one word .... it got lost ? I replaced the activator rod from the slave cylinder to the lever than disengages the clutch ..... with a common bolt but about 1/2 inch longer .... feels like new .... under $10 for junk yard mechanics labor .... me happy ! Monedas

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Kevstar, I have 120 K miles on my 2011 (bought in Nov. 2010) .... wasn't aware that it had a belt .... but, it's a tough little engine ? Zero problemos with water pump, alternator, air conditioning, coolant is original ? Monedas (PS: Most of my problems .... calipers, clutch, idler pulley, crank position sensor, bearings, etc. .... are due to my showing off how well my Kia Soul handles puddles and stream crossings .... I've learned .... dry is good ?)

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
Dry IS good, but don't rely on keeping it dry if you're in Florida in the summer. Any low spot in the road can turn into a swimming pool on any given day. **it happens!

I drove across a little puddle near where I live, one day, and found it was 2' deep. Thank God and Kia that the air intake on my 1.6L engine is right under the edge of the Hood, and up out of the water. Some would call that a Cool Air Intake, and that may well be, but I like to call it the "Dry Air Intake". It's almost as good as a Snorkel. :)

My little gal showed no ill effects of me almost drowning her. She never missed a lick!

At 60k miles, I've not worried about the timing chain, but I HAVE replaced the front disk brake pads, had the AT flushed and refilled, and I'm going to the dealership tomorrow and I'll ask them for a quote on replacing the O2 Sensor(s). That should always be done around 60K miles, regardless of what the OM says. That will improve the MPG and performance. And, I'm all about performance.

Cheers Mates!
:cool:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts