Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 2.0 6spd.

What should the engagement point of the clutch be when I lift off the pedal? Mine is right at the floor, and very little 'range'. The opposite of the other Hyundai/Kia product in my driveway. I've gravity bled it, and now bled it with the help of a friend.

This doesn't feel right. An engagement point this low seems to suggest a problem with the hydraulics. Does the clutch slave or master commonly go bad on these?

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
2013 2.0 6spd.

What should the engagement point of the clutch be when I lift off the pedal? Mine is right at the floor, and very little 'range'. The opposite of the other Hyundai/Kia product in my driveway. I've gravity bled it, and now bled it with the help of a friend.

This doesn't feel right. An engagement point this low seems to suggest a problem with the hydraulics. Does the clutch slave or master commonly go bad on these?
That's not right. I've never measured the clutch pedal free play on mine but there's not a lot of it - I would guess it starts to disengage at maybe 1/4 pedal down. I would suspect either a really worn clutch disc or a blown seal in the MC or slave. I had a Jeep once many years ago that had the same problem - I would bleed it, and by the time I'd get to work I was almost out of pedal. Put in a new MC, same problem. Swapped that MC out for another, same problem. Tried having it power bled, knew the slave was good because I had just had it replaced (it was a combo TO bearing/slave cylinder). Finally turned out to be junk MC rebuilds from AutoZone. I bought one from Napa and problem was solved. When I looked real close at the AutoZone one, I could see a slight drop of fluid right at the pushrod. There's not a lot of seals on these things but there's a lot of hydraulic pressure and it's not hard to bust a seal over time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think its hydraulics then, or possibly a bad PP (not likely I assume?) A worn disc should disengage earlier in travel, not later.

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
I think its hydraulics then, or possibly a bad PP (not likely I assume?) A worn disc should disengage earlier in travel, not later.
Not likely the pressure plate, and you're right about the disc - I was about to leave and was writing in a hurry and not thinking it through but yes a worn disc should disengage/engage much earlier on pedal travel. There's really nothing to go wrong with the PP other than maybe worn fingers that's not going to show up as chattering/grabbing/slipping.

The good thing is there's not a whole lot going on outside the transmission. Pedal, MC, line to slave cylinder, cylinder pushrod to fork. If you have a helper you should look at the SS pushrod while they step on the pedal; once you're past the free play - I doubt it's more than an inch - that pushrod should be going. Or you can check this yourself by pushing on the pedal by hand, where you have a lot more tactile feel than with your leg. Get down there and push on the pedal; it's obvious where the fork is engaging the fingers when you do this by hand, because you can feel it. If you see a whole lot of movement before you get there and assuming there's nothing mechanically wrong with the clutch pedal or the adjustment, then it's guaranteed to be in the hydraulics somewhere - air, blown seal, leak. If you feel the fork engage almost immediately, then you may be dealing with a weak hydraulic system - air, leaking seal - or you may have something mechanically wrong with the clutch pack, which is unlikely unless someone changed it and put the wrong parts in there (unlikely but not impossible).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts