Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I know others on here have had the same issue, but in all the posts I've read thus far, I haven't been able to find anyone that actually had a solution. I have a 2013 Soul Exclaim, and none of the climate control options are working. It's been going out over several months, but if I jiggled the fan speed control knob, I could usually get it to work properly. What had been happening was that my climate control would switch out of A/C, and blow warmer air. Then, when I jiggled the knob, it would kick back on, and give me air conditioning. Well, it's finally stopped working altogether. I took it to the dealer, and they said it was the control head, and they wanted something like $700 to fix it. I figured, what the hell, it's an easy part to replace, I'll just get another one, and replace it myself. So, I bought one used online. Hooked it up, and still no joy. My question is two-fold. Is there a way to test the control unit, so that it can be determined whether or not that's the actual problem? And is there anything else anyone has tried that has actually resolved this issue? I've seen a lot of advice, but nobody has reported that they've solved the issue yet. I'm also including a copy of the picture, just so it's clear what part I'm talking about. Thanks everyone! 20170927_122213_1_10.jpg

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Gee, it looks just like mine, but mine still works as it did on Day One.

If mine ever fails, and I find a cure (mine too is out of warranty) I'll post it here.

Good Luck,
:cool:

PS: A $700 repair? I think it's trade in time.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,307 Posts
Is this out of warranty?

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
Are you sure they weren't referring to the BCM? The price sounds a bit steep for just the control knob assembly (or whatever the official name is).

I'd check the fuses and the main grounds (under the hood) before laying out the $700.00. The Kia main grounds are less than superb. They ground through the bolt threads because they're mounted on a painted surface, and corrosion can increase the resistant enough to throw off the more finicky electronics. There are many threads about it here.

Disconnecting the battery ground cable for a few minutes to "reboot" the BCM might also solve the problem. That's easier to do than fixing the grounds, so maybe I'd try that first. You may lose your radio presets and the like, but it won't do any other damage.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Are you sure they weren't referring to the BCM? The price sounds a bit steep for just the control knob assembly (or whatever the official name is).
I'd check the fuses and the main grounds (under the hood) before laying out the $700.00. The Kia main grounds are less than superb. They ground through the bolt threads because they're mounted on a painted surface, and corrosion can increase the resistant enough to throw off the more finicky electronics. There are many threads about it here.
Disconnecting the battery ground cable for a few minutes to "reboot" the BCM might also solve the problem. That's easier to do than fixing the grounds, so maybe I'd try that first. You may lose your radio presets and the like, but it won't do any other damage.
YES THERE ARE! And it's been cussed and discussed MANY Times here in this forum.
Anyone with any kind of Electrical problem should search the forum and read up on the fixes for "Poor Grounding".
There's a lot to read, with PICTURES too!

Electrical problems on the Engine* can be easily fixed by a simple ground cable from the NEG terminal on the battery to any bolt on top of the engine.
* That includes, hard starting, misfiring, engine stalling, etc.

Cheers Mates!
FL Hamster :cool:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Contact the repair Department and consult with them . My uncle had the exact same situation a year ago. Only he thinks he's a man who can fix anything. First we broke the sensors in the air conditioner and my uncle decided that he was a Jack of all trades decided to try to fix them. Only after his repair, we have climate control stopped working. My mother was very angry with my uncle. I decided that I'd better solve this problem myself, or my uncle and mother will have a fight. I call aircon servicing, and they did everything quickly for me, and most importantly for an adequate price.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What a great experience, @HeatherV! Just goes to show that we should leave the fixing to the experts - that's why there's aircon servicing!

I agree. My air con fan was really weak until I brought it in for air con servicing at SGHomeNeeds. They were able to tell that i had a freon leakage over a video call consultation and suggested me to change it. Everything is working fine now.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I agree. My air con fan was really weak until I brought it in for aircon servicing at SGHomeNeeds. They were able to tell that i had a freon leakage over a video call consultation and suggested me to change it. Everything is working fine now.

SGHomeNeeds looks like a very cool site. Do you know if they have something similar in Japan? Maybe a sister company or a separate store branch?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts