Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you checked your owner's manual on the replacement of the cabin air filter? It's required EVERY 6000 miles or at 12 months.
My private mechanic who did my first oil change recently thought it might be a misprint in the manual but it clearly stipulates it so I had him change it with a OEM filter. I don't want to void the warranty by not changing the filter, should something do wrong with the air conditioning system.
I'd think those filters should go a lot longer than that but that's what the owner's manual states.

·
Registered
495 Posts
They probably do the 1 year max out of concerns about mold or mildew. We keep the '20 Soul in our garage and use our other car around town, so we only have about 4,700 miles on it right now at the 1-year-old point. I still changed our filter last week. I bought one of the Fram Fresh Breeze CF 12160 Cabin Air Filters with Arm & Hammer Baking Soda on Amazon for $16.

On our cars we use a lot, we replace the cabin air filters about every 4 months or 6,000 miles, especially in the spring and summer. We have pretty bad allergies, and this seems to help.

It only took 5 minutes to change. Just empty out your glove box, disconnect the small arm/lock on the right side, and let the glove box door swing down to the floor. The 1-inch X 6-inch door is straight ahead. Unhook the latch on the right side of the door, swing it open and it drops off into your hand. Pull out the old filter - NOTE THE DIRECTION OF THE AIR FLOW ARROWS WHILE REMOVING THE OLD FILTER!!!. Then insert your new one (noting the direction of the airflow arrows is correct), put the cover door back on the hinges and close, and raise your glove box up to where you can re-attach the arm/lock. Put all of your "gloves" back in the glove box and go eat lunch out on the money you just saved not paying the dealer to do it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Thanks for the reminder on where to find and remove the cabin filter.
But Nlo Way Jose - am I going to breathe-in that Fresh Breeze Scent, in such an enclosed summertime area, with the AC running most days and windows closed.

I'm getting the Unscented version.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Thanks for the reminder on where to find and remove the cabin filter.
But Nlo Way Jose - am I going to breathe-in that Fresh Breeze Scent, in such an enclosed summertime area, with the AC running most days and windows closed.

I'm getting the Unscented version.
I believe the name is somewhat misleading in that it does not employ any scents. Only activated charcoal and baking soda are used to filter and absorb odors.

My wife has a nose like a TSA bloodhound. She can come in the room 2 hours after I pass gas and tell me what I ate for breakfast. We use unscented everything - soap, deodorant, laundry detergent, shampoo, etc etc, and she has never said that it smells like anything. Couldn't prove it by me, though - no sense of smell here.

She likes them in the car and we all know Happy Wife = Happy Life. LOL

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I've used the FRAM Fresh Breeze Cabin Air Filter on my last three cars. With all the pollen sand and other crap floating around in the air around here a good filter is essential. Right! Those filters are 100% UN-scented. They remove scents, not add them.

Happy Trails, Mates!
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
495 Posts
Just for curiosity, I sent a note to Fram Technical Hotline asking about the Fresh Breeze cabin filters, and this is the reply:

"The FRAM Fresh Breeze cabin air filters will not be scented. They come with Arm and Hammer baking soda and carbon embedded to absorb odors, but do not have a scent from the factory."

Looks like I will be sticking with the FRAM Fresh Breeze for the Soul. Now, if they only made one for our '19 Forester.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Easiest maintenance task ever. I picked up a twofer of engine air filter and cabin air filter online.
The engine air filter is probably second easiest.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Do these things really get dirty after only 1 year? I changed one on my other car after 15 years and it still looked clean. Wouldn't the engine air filter suck through a lot more air than the cabin filter, and be more important, and i'm not sure how often those get changed but sure it isn't every 6k miles?

·
Registered
2020 Soul LX, IVT
57 Posts
Do these things really get dirty after only 1 year? I changed one on my other car after 15 years and it still looked clean. Wouldn't the engine air filter suck through a lot more air than the cabin filter, and be more important, and i'm not sure how often those get changed but sure it isn't every 6k miles?
Our cabin filters do! Not a lot of driving per year but we drive a mixed bag of rural roads, have a dalmatian, and park outside near a 100 yr old black locust tree that contributes in all seasons. We change them once a year in the spring.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll be changing the cabin air filter every 6000 miles or at 12 months, whichever comes first, because it's a "REQUIRED" service, as noted in the owner's manual. And, I'll be using the OEM filter so it meets warranty requirements for the vehicle. Everybody else can do whatever they want but if there's a problem your climate control system and you don't have receipts that the filter was changed as stipulated in the manual, don't be surprised if a Kia service department has an issue with your failure to comply with required service if and when it comes to warranty coverage.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
If your car is a 'Garage Queen' then it probably won't need a new cabin air filter very often. Even so, depending on just where you drive, and whether you run your AC on 'Recirculate' or 'Fresh Air intake' determines when you should change your cabin air cleaner. There is no downside to changing the one thing that filters/freshens the air you breath in your car. (I take out my Cabin Air Filter, every few thousand miles, and clean it, by tapping it lightly against a solid opject, to knock out the bugs, leaves, sand, etc.)

If you're a heavy smoker, you probably don't give a hoot what's in the air in your car, but, if you don't smoke, and have allergies to airborne particulates, then you might just want the cleanest and freshest air possible.

I am in the second category, and I keep my car closed up most of the time, and I definitely use my Cabin Air Filter as much as possible. I really enjoy being able to breath Clean/Fresh air. Don't you?

Cheers mates!
:cool:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts