Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I opened the engine compartment the other day to give someone a jump start and noticed a light dusting of dust over the engine components, mostly noticeable on any parts that were black (top of engine, battery and cover, heater hoses, fluid caps,etc) so of course I wiped down the entire engine and the underside of the hood itself. I suspect, if you ever had a car in the past, that this build up is what leads to a dirty nasty looking engine in which anything you touch leaves your hands dirty. Is there anything I can put on the engine (wax, Armorol, etc) to minimize the build-up followed up by an occasional wipe down of the components?

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Anything greasy will make it worse... best to just wipe down every once in awhile.

Detail departments are fully equipped to wash engine bays and completely dry them.
The hard part is finding a competent one. :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
I wipe those areas down when I check the oil etc. Which is more often than is necessary I am sure.
Also the door jambs including the rear hatch.
It probably doesn't make that much difference, but it makes me happy.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,595 Posts
^^^^ Ditto that CWS. I'd give you a like but that function isn't working either.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
When I wash the car the underhood gets washed down as well. I don't hose it down I wash all accessible areas with the wash mitt and then dry it off. I find it much easier to keep clean if wiped down on a regular basis. I also periodically treat the plastic with a dressing such as Meguirs.

Pat.

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the tips. I wash the car by hand once a week and will now include wiping down and drying under the hood and other areas mentioned. Maybe also looking into getting the engine cleaned one a year depending on what it looks like after including the weekly wipe down. Thanks Again !!

·
Registered
842 Posts
I believe in keeping the areas under the hood clean as well. And if you trim the bushes around you deck, it will make your deck look bigger ;)

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
620 Posts
I don't drive with the hood up so I don't care what it looks like. That, and when I've bought used cars, a clean engine bay makes me think that the dealership is hiding something, so if I ever go to "sell my soul" (the puns are just right in your face with the name of this car) I want the prospective owner to know that I'm shooting straight.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I don't drive with the hood up so I don't care what it looks like. That, and when I've bought used cars, a clean engine bay makes me think that the dealership is hiding something, so if I ever go to "sell my soul" (the puns are just right in your face with the name of this car) I want the prospective owner to know that I'm shooting straight.
That's like saying you wear clean outerwear but wear your underwear until it crackles.:tongue:

Pat.

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
620 Posts
That's like saying you wear clean outerwear but wear your underwear until it crackles.:tongue:

Pat.

Only I'm not wearing my engine bay. :p So after washing your Soul, do you have it transported home? I can't imagine washing the tire treads and then driving on dirty roads...... :p

·
Registered
228 Posts
Does anyone else have a Soul EV? Under my hood is filthy but am not about to take a hose to it like I used to with ICE engine bays, so am wondering how to clean it.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Does anyone else have a Soul EV? Under my hood is filthy but am not about to take a hose to it like I used to with ICE engine bays, so am wondering how to clean it.
Damp cloth, maybe a lil simple green and quite a bit of patience with attention to detail.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Only I'm not wearing my engine bay. :p So after washing your Soul, do you have it transported home? I can't imagine washing the tire treads and then driving on dirty roads...... :p
I see your point, however, a well maintained and meticulously kept vehicle gets my motor running. I am an anal retentive Virgo chef so it's built into my DNA to keep things perfect.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
I see your point, however, a well maintained and meticulously kept vehicle gets my motor running. I am an anal retentive Virgo chef so it's built into my DNA to keep things perfect.
You are just describing me to a T except for the Chef part:)

Pat.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts