Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to cry! I was disappointed that the dash read 27mpg. When I first seen what fuelly calculated I thought it messed up. So I checked it manually. FUELLY IS RIGHT! Then to make matters worse I swapped souls with my daughter so I can go get her mileage verified (2012 with 27000 miles) for her free money and her mpg read 33 mpg.

Should I have gotten a manual for better mpg? The advertised numbers don't show that big of a difference.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Well, there will be a difference depending on how you drive, but it should be pretty small. My wife has the automatic, I have the manual, and I can come within 1/2MPG of my manual with her automatic. I believe they're rated the same technically.

The MPG gauge is a little optimistic for sure. Mine has been off 3-4MPG every tank, but I'm getting about 36MPG so I don't really care that much.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
wingit - your over analyzing things about one single partial tankful check (173 miles), it doesn't mean a thing, and also your comparing to a vehicle that has 27,000 miles. Get lots more tankfuls under your belt. Even EPA never tests brand new vehicles for there ratings, they always have quite a few thousand miles on them.

You said you swapped it with your daughter to get the mileage verified, but what you are looking at on the gauge is an AVERAGE, not instant reading, its calculating what happened since is was last reset (which it will do automatically when she fills it up) up to the time you looked at it, so you think that both you and your daughter drive identical and over the same route all the time?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wingit - your over analyzing things about one single partial tankful check (173 miles), it doesn't mean a thing, and also your comparing to a vehicle that has 27,000 miles. Get lots more tankfuls under your belt. Even EPA never tests brand new vehicles for there ratings, they always have quite a few thousand miles on them.

You said you swapped it with your daughter to get the mileage verified, but what you are looking at on the gauge is an AVERAGE, not instant reading, its calculating what happened since is was last reset (which it will do automatically when she fills it up) up to the time you looked at it, so you think that both you and your daughter drive identical and over the same route all the time?
I been driving like a grandpa to get good mileage. She just gets in and busts through the gears. I do know tho mileage will go up after a couple thousand miles but I doubt it will go up that much from 22. Think I liked it better driving my trucks back in the day when I got 9 mpg and didn't care. I just not going to look at that avg anymore. It's to depressing.

·
Registered
290 Posts

Agree 1,000%. A single tank, especially a partial fill, is nothing you can even consider as valid. There is too much variation in driving and refueling process. On my smart, which exaggerates the effect because of its small tank, I've seen 32 to 52 MPG in back to back tanks due to driving and pump shutoff variation. The difference between those two figures is more than some car's mileage. You'll need a few tanks under your belt before you start to see a real average and it will get a little better as it breaks in. You're also in a bad time of year for mileage: crappy winter gas, cold temps make the engine take longer to warm up, idling to warm up/defrost windows, etc. You're not going to see better per tank mileage until spring which will bump up your average.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,164 Posts
you can always just switch it to another view, also keep in mind you can reset the AVERAGE at any point, if you want to test a smaller segment of driving, say a 10 mile run on the highway or perhaps a city heavy traffic run to see what you get just for that segment.
Fuel economy is not only based on how you drive but a lot to do with where you drive and conditions encountered.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Why do people always assume it's the car that is causing them to get poor fuel mileage? Maybe my right foot should put on seminars, because I *always* exceed the EPA estimate on my cars, and I live in the mountains. That is whether I'm driving city or highway. I don't think I'm anything special - what it comes down to is a willingness to self-examine your driving habits, research what characteristics are providing good MPG, which ones are killing MPG, and then maximizing the good points and minimizing the bad ones.

My fuelly proves you can get good MPG with this car. I will probably end up averaging about 35MPG, my guess, because I'd rather do 70 than 60 and accept the 2MPG reduction in fuel economy. But I *could* get 37MPG all the time - actually, I could probably do even a little better than that right now, and who's to say what I can do when the weather turns warmer and we go back to summer fuel? I always see between 1-3MPG better in Spring/Summer than in Winter. But what I get is completely up to me in this car, within reason: I'm not going to get 50MPG, but I'm not going to get 20MPG either. I can pick my own fuel economy, based on my conditions, between probably 25-40MPG. So can anyone else, if they want to be honest with themselves. If you're like the dude that takes an hour to go 5 miles in Chicago, you're probably going to be limited to between 15-25MPG maximum, but that's a feature of the conditions. For that guy, he probably should have bought a pure electric vehicle.

I guess I've just come to the conclusion that people want what they want. They want a cool little car that can seat 6 people, gets 60MPG, costs $10k brand new, has a 500k mile warranty, comes with AWD, and can go 100 MPH. When they can't get it, there's something wrong with the vehicle...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
290 Posts
Kia lied.
Inflating MPG estimates is only the tip of their villainous iceberg; just wait until their shadow agents posing as car salesmen in dealerships across the globe are unleashed with a hidden UVO command and wipe out civilization as we know it by reversing the geomagnetic poles and simultaneously launching their giant cyborg hamsters. :p KIAMAGEDDON!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'd like to add one thing to jdmartins well writen reply. The quality of the fuel you use can effect your MPG by 10% or more. Chaper is not allways better!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts