Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Waddy, please be sure to update us after you see the dealer, I'm curious about what they tell you.
My friend has a 12, soul Base, 1.6 and other than using oil, it ran fine. she got the recall, so she brought it in to the dealer, and they told her that they installed a new Cat Converter, soon after her Check engine light came on, car started running rough. Scanner said it was upstream 02, so we ordered a walker from amazon and installed it, cleared the code, car still ran bad, so I put in a set of plugs, and I was still getting random misfires. So we did all 4 coils, that seemed to fix it. she drove home, next morning Check engine light was on again, same as before, upstream O2 , so I ordered a new one, replaced it and returned the bad one. same results. So I have a bosch O2 coming for it now, hopefully just a case of cheap parts suck. Although, could the dealer have messed up with something in the programming of the new computer for the new cat?? I know they would NEVER own up to it. She did bring it to them after the Cat was changed for the running issue, as it ran fine before they changed the cat, they just brushed her off saying that it was not the issue.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Update:

It was the catalytic converter. Dealer replaced it at no charge. Dealer said it was under warranty.

The first time I went to the dealer, they said it was not under warranty. They said the warranty ended at 80,000 miles.

So it is when I tried to diagnose the cause of the check engine code myself. I figured that finding the fault myself first and then take it to the dealer or some other mechanic would allow me to verify my findings. The above posts is how I came to the conclusion that it is the catalytic converter.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Update:

It was the catalytic converter. Dealer replaced it at no charge. Dealer said it was under warranty.

The first time I went to the dealer, they said it was not under warranty. They said the warranty ended at 80,000 miles.

So it is when I tried to diagnose the cause of the check engine code myself. I figured that finding the fault myself first and then take it to the dealer or some other mechanic would allow me to verify my findings. The above posts is how I came to the conclusion that it is the catalytic converter.
Was your VIN a part of the original catalytic converter recall?

I have a 2015 base and they had performed the recall, but I got the dreaded check engine light. Had it checked out at AutoZone and it was the P0420 code. Called the dealership and they told me because the recall was already done, I’d have to pay a diagnostic fee just for them to run the same code. I have 115k miles. Recall was done at 100k miles. I fear that all the time driving before the recall was issued led to the catalytic converter failure... they just don’t want to admit it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Was your VIN a part of the original catalytic converter recall?

I have a 2015 base and they had performed the recall, but I got the dreaded check engine light. Had it checked out at AutoZone and it was the P0420 code. Called the dealership and they told me because the recall was already done, I’d have to pay a diagnostic fee just for them to run the same code. I have 115k miles. Recall was done at 100k miles. I fear that all the time driving before the recall was issued led to the catalytic converter failure... they just don’t want to admit it.
Well I decided to bring it in. The dealership performed the diagnostic and it appears the catalytic converter issue is related to the recall and they are replacing it at no cost. They also diagnosed a whole slew of other issues I was not aware of (bad throttle body, engine burning oil as there was no oil on the dipstick, and exhaust issues). They gave me a loaner car for a week while they investigate further, as they think the bad catalytic converter caused oil to leak into the exhaust and ruin the exhaust system, and are worried it may cause (or already have caused) motor damage.

Not a happy camper right now, but at least they are acknowledging the issue and provided me a loaner car so I didn’t have to keep driving and damage it even further.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts