Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello... I have a Kia Soul 2020 with just 29,000 miles and my check engine light came on.... Went to Autozone and read code Misfire code
Code P0303

What is this A spark plug that messed up just 1 spark plug or do i have to replace al 4.. Thank you.. Deb..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sounds like an ignition coil if that's what the code says. Take it to kia so they can fix it. Otherwise try moving a coil from a good cylinder to the bad one and rescan it if you really want to determine if that's the problem. But that's why you bought a new car, so kia can fix it

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
8,124 Posts
Hello... I have a Kia Soul 2020 with just 29,000 miles and my check engine light came on.... Went to Autozone and read code Misfire code 3 ignition coil... What is this A spark plug that messed up just 1 spark plug or do i have to replace al 4.. Thank you.. Deb..
Did you buy it new Deb? If it's under warranty, like mentioned above, it's best to let Kia fix it.

Reactions: pnoman

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
You have a 5 year 60k warranty if this is a US car and the coil is covered, a spark plug would not be as it is considered a wear item. You only need a 10mm socket to move the coil from #3 to 1 or 2 and see if it misfires on that cylinder to determine if it is a coil issue.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hello... I have a Kia Soul 2020 with just 29,000 miles and my check engine light came on.... Went to Autozone and read code Misfire code 3 ignition coil... What is this A spark plug that messed up just 1 spark plug or do i have to replace al 4.. Thank you.. Deb..
It should be a warrantied Dealer fix. Make the appointment.
While there, get up-to-date on any Recalls / Service Bulletins that may be attached to your VIN Number.

We assume all your oil changes and various filters are up-to-date with maintenance. If not, then let the dealer do their 10-? point inspection. It's free.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Hello... I have a Kia Soul 2020 with just 29,000 miles and my check engine light came on.... Went to Autozone and read code Misfire code
Code P0303

What is this A spark plug that messed up just 1 spark plug or do i have to replace al 4.. Thank you.. Deb..
Do not wait on getting this addressed. And do not drive except to the dealer unless they are far away. Have it towed. This is a serious problem. Driving could result in ignition failure, catalytic converter damage, and unsafe/dangerous conditions while operating the vehicle.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Also note that whithin the content of this link the description does not limit only to spark plugs but also includes the following. So spending money on wires and plugs as a guess is a personal choice. Meanwhile, misfiring - possibly aka detonation, is causing damage to the engine.

Bad Spark Plugs– Spark plugs are one of the most common causes of P0303. Take a look at the electrodes and see if they are in good shape. Most vehicles now come with iridium plugs that need changed very infrequently. That being said, the plugs are a great place to start. Here’s a great video on how to see if a spark plug is bad.
  • Spark Plug Wires– On most modern engines, the plug wires are not nearly as long as they once were, but they can still go bad. Here’s how to tell if your plug wires are bad (video).
  • Coil Packs– Coil packs rarely go bad, but when they do, they can certainly cause P0303 in your Kia Soul. Replacing a set can be very expensive. Here’s how to test them.
  • Bad Fuel Injector– If you have a fuel injector that has gone bad, it won’t be able to properly atomize the fuel and you’ll get the P0303. Here’s a good video on how to diagnose an injector, it can be a little tricky. This is definitely not the place to start.
  • Vacuum leak– If your Soul has a vacuum leak, it can be very difficult for it to get the right air/fuel mixture. This will cause the cylinders to misfire and it’ll throw the P0303 if the leak is around that specific cylinder on the intake manifold. It’s easy (and kind of fun) to chase one down. Popular Mechanics: How to find a vacuum leak.
  • Cam or Crank Sensors– This one is very unlikely, but it does happen. If the ECU is not getting the right signal from these sensors, the vehicles timing is not going to sync up and it’ll misfire.
  • Low Compression– If you have a leaking head gasket, bent valve, cracked head, etc.. that would cause compression to not be as high as it should, you’re going to get P0303. You should also feel the vehicle is down on power as well.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts