Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
My 2014 Soul has Check Engine Light comes up. 2 of my cheap code readers could not read the code and my more expensive OBD/ABS code reader able to read and says P050A, Cold Start Idle Air Control System Performance. Anyone know if Kia has a fix? Google finds an old posting at Kia Forum says dealership does not have a fix but just erase the code. My car had ECU reprogrammed for the SC176 recall in May, this is the first winter and I have this code came up. If there is no fix but just erase the code, no point to brig to dealership, read and erase the code then charge me $99 bucks. My air filter is about 15K miles and oil change was done in December less than 1K miles. My car is only 36K miles! I think I'm going to change the air filter to see if that will fix it. Air filter should be good for 20K. Anyone have the code an how you fix it? If anyone has access to service manual, what does it say? I remember Kia offers free service manual access to registered owners, but I can't find it. Anyone knows? a link?

ODB Code P050A

Below is said on Autocodes.com

P050A KIA Possible Causes
  • Air Intake leaks
  • Lack of intake air volume
  • Faulty Fuel injection system
  • Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
  • Engine mechanical concern
  • Damaged or sludged throttle body

Registered
2017 Base/auto, Shadow Black (Betsy)
My 2014 Soul has Check Engine Light comes up. 2 of my cheap code readers could not read the code and my more expensive OBD/ABS code reader able to read and says P050A, Cold Start Idle Air Control System Performance. Anyone know if Kia has a fix? Google finds an old posting at Kia Forum says dealership does not have a fix but just erase the code. My car had ECU reprogrammed for the SC176 recall in May, this is the first winter and I have this code came up. If there is no fix but just erase the code, no point to brig to dealership, read and erase the code then charge me $99 bucks. My air filter is about 15K miles and oil change was done in December less than 1K miles. My car is only 36K miles! I think I'm going to change the air filter to see if that will fix it. Air filter should be good for 20K. Anyone have the code an how you fix it? If anyone has access to service manual, what does it say? I remember Kia offers free service manual access to registered owners, but I can't find it. Anyone knows? a link?

ODB Code P050A

Below is said on Autocodes.com

P050A KIA Possible Causes
  • Air Intake leaks
  • Lack of intake air volume
  • Faulty Fuel injection system
  • Faulty Engine Control Module (ECM)
  • Engine mechanical concern
  • Damaged or sludged throttle body
2014-2018 Service Manual link

Registered
I have TWO 2016 Kia Souls and both have experienced this problem. Twice on my black one, and the dealership cleaned off carbon build up to the tune of $500, and the second time they told me it was bad gas. Yesterday, the check engine light came on our white model, and low and behold same code. P050A. :-(

Registered
Discussion Starter #5
[/QUOTE]
I have TWO 2016 Kia Souls and both have experienced this problem. Twice on my black one, and the dealership cleaned off carbon build up to the tune of $500, and the second time they told me it was bad gas. Yesterday, the check engine light came on our white model, and low and behold same code. P050A. :-(
May I ask what part did the dealership clean the carbon off? Throttle Body? MAP sensor? My car is only 34.5K miles. I replaced the air cleaner, did not help. Check Engine Light came back this morning. I don't think it is the bad gas either, all my cars fill gas at the same gas station, not a problem for the other 2 cars.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
May I ask what part did the dealership clean the carbon off? Throttle Body? MAP sensor? My car is only 34.5K miles. I replaced the air filter, did not help. Check Engine Light came back this morning. I don't think it is the bad gas either, all my cars fill gas at the same gas station, not a problem for the other 2 cars.
[/QUOTE]
I meant air filter! Fix above!

Registered
dealer told me kia is aware of problem and no fix. i have the sake problem. showed him a video and temp was 47 degrees. I cleaned throttle body and took out map sensor and cleaned it. neo help. the service dept stated if there is no check engine light they cannot do anything. what a bunch of crap huh.

Registered
dealer told me kia is aware of problem and no fix. i have the sake problem. showed him a video and temp was 47 degrees. I cleaned throttle body and took out map sensor and cleaned it. neo help. the service dept stated if there is no check engine light they cannot do anything. what a bunch of crap huh.
Ok everyone here is the reason. G.D.I. is direct injection the fuel injectors are in the combustion chamber which is great for economy and horse power. But port injection was what the old engines had and the injectors were in the throttle body and the gas passed over the valves. With gdi the valve's aren't being washed by the intake gas. And so carbon deposits from on the valve seats and don't close completely and guess what CEL welcome 6 GDI thanks Washington

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Registered
Ok everyone here is the reason. G.D.I. is direct injection the fuel injectors are in the combustion chamber which is great for economy and horse power. But port injection was what the old engines had and the injectors were in the throttle body and the gas passed over the valves. With gdi the valve's aren't being washed by the intake gas. And so carbon deposits from on the valve seats and don't close completely and guess what CEL welcome 6 GDI thanks Washington

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
To Painterman. Okay so is the fix to clean the carbon off the valves? Have you proven this to work or is that what the dealers are doing/saying? Typically with the direct injection and carboned coked valves we would get misfires too. All of the other not just Kia DI have the same build up issue and we would use the walnut shell method to clean if it's really bad. Some of the manufactures have redesigned the systems to alternate the injection system so it alternates between DI and thru the intake. Thanks

Registered
Discussion Starter #10
There is a 2005 TSB on Kia throttle body cleaning that show ECU reset by pulling ECU memory fuse. Anyone knows which fuse for 2014 Soul Gamma 1.6L engine? There are multiple ECU fuses shown in owner's manual. Resetting the ECU likely important to prevent the Check Engine Light coming back after cleaning while ECU learns the throttle condition over time and would take a while to learn the new condition after cleaned.

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
:)
There is a 2005 TSB on Kia throttle body cleaning that show ECU reset by pulling ECU memory fuse. Anyone knows which fuse for 2014 Soul Gamma 1.6L engine? There are multiple ECU fuses shown in owner's manual. Resetting the ECU likely important to prevent the Check Engine Light coming back after cleaning while ECU learns the throttle condition over time and would take a while to learn the new condition after cleaned.
My Check Engine Light cleared by itself yesterday. The new air filter likely the fix. The ECU was trained to the old filter air flow condition, remembered the status, maybe the reason it tripped the light right after the filter replacement. Now after a few driving cycles, ECU trained to the new filter and clear the code! :) My theory! The P050A is still stored in ECU, I did not erase it when I scanned this morning, leave it there and drive for a few days to see if trip a light again. The air filter, made by FRAM, I replaced had only 13.5K city miles on it, the previous filter, Kia factory filter, was replaced at almost 20K miles with no issue. The filter I put in this time was also a FRAM filter, I will replace at 12K miles next time and buy a different brand! I had no problem with FRAM filters in the past and always replaced filter at 20K miles. This car has a small engine and smaller air filter. Still want to do a throttle body cleaning, but can wait when it is warmer outside, the car is not even 35K miles now.

Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
:)
My Check Engine Light cleared by itself yesterday. The new air filter likely the fix. The ECU was trained to the old filter air flow condition, remembered the status, maybe the reason it tripped the light right after the filter replacement. Now after a few driving cycles, ECU trained to the new filter and clear the code! :) My theory! The P050A is still stored in ECU, I did not erase it when I scanned this morning, leave it there and drive for a few days to see if trip a light again. The air filter, made by FRAM, I replaced had only 13.5K city miles on it, the previous filter, Kia factory filter, was replaced at almost 20K miles with no issue. The filter I put in this time was also a FRAM filter, I will replace at 12K miles next time and buy a different brand! I had no problem with FRAM filters in the past and always replaced filter at 20K miles. This car has a small engine and smaller air filter. Still want to do a throttle body cleaning, but can wait when it is warmer outside, the car is not even 35K miles now.
Hi Hank, there was a Service Bulletin for that code regarding a ECU update. Not sure if this helps?

Attachments

Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
I found that TSB but it only applies to 2012 Soul (page 10).
Hey Hank, did you look at the TSB link I provided or an older one? The reason I ask is because the TSB was updated to include your year as well. The way KIA denotes NEW INFORMATION added to a TSB is with a SOLID black line along the left margin.

All the best!

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Hank, did you look at the TSB link I provided or an older one? The reason I ask is because the TSB was updated to include your year as well. The way KIA denotes NEW INFORMATION added to a TSB is with a SOLID black line along the left margin.

All the best!
Yes I look at your attachment, March 2015 TSB. Page 10 is the list of affected vehicles and production ranges, shows only 2012 Soul (and Rio) covered for the P050A DTC. I will ask my dealership when I bring my car in for service next time. Thanks.

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
Yes I look at your attachment, March 2015 TSB. Page 10 is the list of affected vehicles and production ranges, shows only 2012 Soul (and Rio) covered for the P050A DTC. I will ask my dealership when I bring my car in for service next time. Thanks.
There are 2 codes affecting my 2014 Soul, P0326 (Knock Sensor) and P0441 (Purge Flow), I will ask if the SC176 recall include those. Better be.

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
There are 2 codes affecting my 2014 Soul, P0326 (Knock Sensor) and P0441 (Purge Flow), I will ask if the SC176 recall include those. Better be.
I have to wonder what if SC176 recall, ECU logics reprogram for CAT overheat, does not include these 2 DTCs, would flashing ECU for these 2 DTCs erase the ECU update from SC176 since this 2015 TSB predates the 2019 recall? I bet dealership would say SC176 recall is the latest ECU programming and cover all ECU updates, but I will ask. Thanks again.

Registered
Discussion Starter #18
The darn P050A code is back, good for 2 weeks, now tripped Check Engine Light again. I haven't clean the throttle body yet, the car only has 36K miles. Will do that this weekend.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts