Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At almost 270,000 miles, the front end started getting loud. I jacked it up and the only issue I could detect was a lot of slop in the inner right CV Joint. So I replaced both front axels. I couldn't detect any play and the rotors turned smooth with the axles out. But the noise didn't go away, so I ordered new wheel bearings. I've changed a good number of front wheel bearings in the past, but this is my Kia Soul. It was pretty straight forward getting the steering knuckle off.

The CV axles have only been on the car a week, and the end that rides against the bearing is blue! The bearing "feels" fine turning it by hand with no load on it, but it's been getting hot. So, hopefully, the bearings are the source of the noise.

Normally, once the knuckle is off, a few minutes on at my press and I have them ready to go back on . . . but when I removed the knuckle on this one, I found it has dust shields that wrap all the way around the hub. I got the three bolts out and can move it around, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to get the knuckle rigged up in the press to press the hub out of the bearing with the shield on it. Short of cutting it off, I can't get the shield off until the hub is removed. Has anyone ran into this? I've had several people tell me I don't need the shields, just cut them off and leave them out. I'm not typically one to do that sort of thing, but I have to have this thing back together before Monday morning, or we will have to rent a car until it's fixed . . . which kind'a kills the whole purpose of me doing it myself. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I ended up making an impact wrench driven press from a piece of angle iron and a strut spring compressor bolt. My 1/2 impact warped the angle iron to the point it couldn't bend any further than finally locked the bolt down. The hub never budged. I then beat the hell out of the bolt with a three pound hammer. I managed to make the bolt shorter . . . the hub still hadn't budged.

I finally broke out the sawsall and cut inside the hub down to the bearing. It was pretty easy to tap the hub out with light taps from a hammer. Then, put the knuckle in the press and pushed the bearing out without an issue. Of course, the old hubs are trash now, but I have new ones from Rock Auto on the way. With tax and shipping they were $42 for the pair. If you ever change your own, my suggestion is the hassle of trying to get them out isn't worth the money you'll save by reusing the old hubs.

IMG_20190715_142813.jpg

IMG_20190715_142822.jpg

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
That's impressive you are at 270,000 miles zen! That's Toyota territory :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's impressive you are at 270,000 miles zen! That's Toyota territory :)
What really impresses me about it is not just 270,000, but most of that is on backroads and rural two lane highways. Maybe 10% to 15% on the interstate. Plus, my wife works for a company that owns several rock quarries. Since it was new, this thing has spent 8 to 10 hours a day, 5 days a week, parked by the quarry getting pelted with limestone dust. She had the dealer do all the recommended service while it was under the 10 year, 100K warranty, but since then, we've just done regular oil changes and had the timing belt and water pump changed at 90K and 180K (preventive maintenance). Also had them replace the original spark plugs when they did the belt and water pump. At about 200K I replaced the front brake pads and rotors (rears are still factory). It is starting to use a little oil, but not bad. The top is getting a little noisy, but again, not bad considering the miles and again, living it's life in limestone dust. I've replaced a few light bulbs and the brake light switch, and it's on it's 4th set of tires. This is the first "major" problem (if you can call it that) we've had with it.

When she went car shopping, we intended to buy an used car and pay cash. The Mitsubishi Expo she was driving while we were out looking at cars broke a camshaft in half on I-285 in Atlanta. We had to get a friend come pick us up and on the way home stopped by the Kia Dealer in Dalton and she bought this one new. Paid the cash we intended to pay for a used car as the down payment and they financed the rest on a 3 year 0% loan. We haven't had a car payment in almost 7 years. It came equipped with Sirrus Radio with a three month trial subscription. For Christmas that first year, I bought her a lifetime subscription for just a few dollars more than a 3 year subscription. When she first said she wanted a Soul, I just shook my head. First of all it was a KIA! If that wasn't bad enough, I thought it was one of the ugliest cars I had ever seen (Until I saw a Cube on a lot across the street) and the Alien Green paint didn't help it in my opinion. But after going nearly 10 years without having to work on her car a couple of times a month so she could get back and forth to work, I've grown quite fond of her choice in automobiles. :joyous: If (when) we finally have to replace it, I think a new Soul will be the first car we look at.

·
Registered
5,703 Posts
That is awesome to hear how this Soul has been a real trooper, for so long for you guys zen. I hope I'm as lucky.

Honestly I had the same thought when I bought mine in 2014. I'd never owned or would have considered a Kia, let alone a Soul.

But review after review had owners saying one of its best attributes is that it just keeps running & running & starts up every time. I liked that. I wanted reliability. So far its been 100%.

That was a great idea to get her a lifetime satellite radio subscription. Until the Soul I never had it. Now I can't be without it.

Did you see SiriusXM has opened up streaming on any device now at no extra charge if you have a subscription for your car radio?

All the best!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That is awesome to hear how this Soul has been a real trooper, for so long for you guys zen. I hope I'm as lucky.

That was a great idea to get her a lifetime satellite radio subscription. Until the Soul I never had it. Now I can't be without it.

Did you see SiriusXM has opened up streaming on any device now at no extra charge if you have a subscription for your car radio?
I'll have to check into that! Thanks!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Since the old hubs were having also that mileage, it was a good decision to replace them too anyway!
I hate that they cheapened out and used this system with separate bearings, my other cars use sealed hubs that use only 3 bolts to install on the spindle. More expensive, but... easier to work on.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Grrr....
I had to re-new my subscription last January and the streaming was extra money (I have added it though). The trick is not to let it automatically re-new at the end of subscription, with the jacked up rates. I have called and said I wanted to cancel and they offered a better deal.
Like the offer for $8.25/mo for 12 Months with an All Access subscription, at re-renewal becomes $20.99 a month.

PS: The internet streaming quality on "Normal" is garbage. I had to raise the quality to "Maximum" (in the app settings) to sound decent. Also it helps if, when I stream over Bluetooth, to have AptX capable devices on both ends (phone and receiver/headphones). Any Android phone (ver 8 or higher) has that, iPhones don't have that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I hate that they cheapened out and used this system with separate bearings, my other cars use sealed hubs that use only 3 bolts to install on the spindle. More expensive, but... easier to work on.
The rears are bolt on units, so they will probably last forever. lol

I don't do this ever day, but I have changed quite a few pressed in bearings over the years. I've never had a issue pressing the hubs out before, but this one stumped me. After I got the hubs knocked out, it was smooth sailing . . . right up until I broke the tie rod end.

I got lazy and was in hurry. Got the nut on the right tie rod end tight, but needed to move it just a smiggin' more to get the cotter pin to line up. Instead of using my hand wrench, I grabbed my 1/2" impact . . . I pulled the trigger and it wrung that puppy off smooth as a baby's bottom. So . . . this half a day job is now at day 10 (I think. I may have lost count.) and "hopefully" the tie rod end will get here tomorrow. I hope I can get the old one broke loose without breaking anything else! Then a trip to the alinement shop and she'll be rolling again.

If I ever had to do this job again, I would start by ordering new hubs along with the bearings and keep my impact wrench away from tie rod ends. I bet I could do it in half a day NEXT time, like I thought I could this time. Doing it in a garage where I don't have to work between thunderstorms might speed the process up too. But, hopefully, I won't ever have to put wheel bearings on this car again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts