Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says it looks like the kia curse has another victim, driving on the highway everything is fine and boom smoke fills the cabin and is coming out of the hood, the paint on the hood is blistering, pulled over to the shoulder and my engine is burning at this point. I had a 2014 and I had spoken to kia a few months ago about the recall and they said my car was not under any recalls. Just wanted to let people know, be safe out there

Attachments

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yikes!!! Looks like the interior got torched, too. Glad you were able to stop and get out safely.

I'm trying to picture that happening on the beltways around either Chicago or Washington, D.C. at rush hour. Not a pretty picture.

Keep us updated if they do an autopsy and determine the cause. BTW - which model/engine and how many miles?

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,288 Posts
2.0L with I think around 116k miles. Yes the entire interior is gone
Glad you are ok luky! With that many miles & the severity of fire, I wonder about the maintenance & condition of the GDI pump that sits atop the engine. If there is a leak in a seal, it basically becomes a flame thrower, showering the hot motor with gas.

Had the GDI pump been worked on recently?

Best of luck getting back on the road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Glad you are ok luky! With that many miles & the severity of fire, I wonder about the maintenance & condition of the GDI pump that sits atop the engine. If there is a leak in a seal, it basically becomes a flame thrower, showering the hot motor with gas.

Had the GDI pump been worked on recently?

Best of luck getting back on the road.
No just had the usual maintenance, appreciate it:giggle:

·
Registered
98 Posts
I wonder if the Catalytic Converter was also involved here.

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
648 Posts
I wonder if the Catalytic Converter was also involved here.
Although only the 1.6L were reported to have fires from cat converters, on the 2.0L it is situated in the same location - front of engine bay.

showering the hot motor with gas.
Almost happen to my older Sonata, with traditional fuel injection (lower pressure). A flexible connection between the fuel line and the engine injector manifold developed a small crack at the crimp location. Luckily my wife (she was driving) is very sensitive to chemical smells and told me that it smells like gas. Indeed, when the car was running, I had a tiny spray of gasoline under the hood.
I found that part that day at Kia dealer (the Hyundai didn't have it), luckily they share the same engines... and it fit.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I think I'm gonna get myself a fire extinguisher.
I was thinking of investing in a pair of good running shoes so I could run fast and run far if that happened to me. Sounds like it was maybe too quick spreading to put out with anything less than a VFD fire truck.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts