Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried any of the ultrasonic motion activated things that are supposed to chase animals away from your vehicle? Especially CATS! Or any other way that works to keep cats from tracking sand and scratches all over your car? I've tried spraying the pet stuff around my car that is supposed to chase them off, and now one is peeing on my windshield. Makes the A/C smell real nice. :mad:

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,100 Posts
Pellet gun...

·
Registered
111 Posts
Anti Freeze works well too just keep it on a towel on car the cat likes antifreeze but the antifreeze doesn't like cats. Or I'll rent you my Rottweiler She loves cats.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Please don't use antifreeze, that could be one of your neighbors pets. Poisoning is not the right thing to do. And if you get antifreeze on your paint, the cat may get the last laugh. Rather than a pellet gun, how about a paint ball gun. Maybe scare off the offender, and mark him at the same time.
Did this just start happening? Did they do it to your last vehicle? If they are feral cats, talk to your local humane society, they may be able to supply you with traps.
If they have to be put down, let a vet do it, in a way that the animal won't suffer.

I'll ask a friend with lots of cat experience, there should be a solution that doesn't involve cruelty.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
rather than harming the cat why not fight fire with WATER as cats hate water so a water gun or a hose should do the trick... cover would also protect your car too...

·
Registered
151 Posts
It most likely isn't peeing, it is spraying to mark its territory. I am using the CatStop motion sensor to keep the evil bastards from ruining my lawn. It seems to work quite well.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Well, I asked my friend, who has owned cats for as long as I have known him, many years and a lot of cats. Here is what he sent me.

There are two universal things I never had any cats that liked...and I've had a lot of pussy ;)
Bananas and peanut butter, which may not be practical outside in the sun. Otherwise, here are some great tips: http://www.ehow.com/how_4471883_keep-cats-off-car.html

If you elect the cat repellent stuff (there's a bunch that don't work worth **** and a couple that do, can't remember the name of the last one I used which was pretty good) it's important to remember to clean and dry the area before application. Also, it doesn't last forever on the couch so I'd assume outside use might require more frequent application. Remember, cats don't like water much either.

Outsmarting them is part of the issue. Instead of trying to say "no" to the car, divert them to something less annoying. Hang a toy nearby from a string to occupy the cat, etc. The catnip garden idea was brilliant. That kind of thing.

I checked the link, worth reading.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
^^ work with cats a lot and citrus on car (your link) is a very great idea if you don't wanna use a cover - know my guys didn't like being misted down with citronella/water spray used on them as flea/tick repellent - just as they ran whenever they saw me reach for the water pistol when they did something they knew was wrong... catnip is something that not all cats like so that one is hit or miss... fox/coyote urine is something that might work but didn't bother my guys but was great for getting rid of squirrels and small rodents...

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
...Did this just start happening? Did they do it to your last vehicle? If they are feral cats, talk to your local humane society, they may be able to supply you with traps. ...
I moved a couple of months after I bought my Soul to the place with the cats. Its my landlady's cats, so they belong here, don't want to harm them in any way. Wouldn't harm them even if they weren't hers, other than helping the humane society collect them if they were strays. I don't hate cats, a couple of these are really neat cats (when they're not near my car). Getting some great ideas from everyone's posts of things to try - thanks! I'll post more on what I try and what works!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It most likely isn't peeing, it is spraying to mark its territory. I am using the CatStop motion sensor to keep the evil bastards from ruining my lawn. It seems to work quite well.
An ultrasonic motion sensor was one of the things I was thinking of trying. Hadn't looked at the CatStop until I read your post - it looks better than the ones I had looked at online previously. Due to the type of car the SOUL is, I know they can only get on it at the hood, so it would be easy to set one of those up. I'm thinking of ordering a CatStop online - where did you get yours?

When I was a kid, we had an old tomcat that got in the habit of spraying. Anytime someone came to our house he would run out to their car and jump up on it and back up to the windshield and cut loose - sometimes before they even got out of their car. I thought it was funny then, but not anymore! Her cats have all been fixed, but there could be a stray coming around doing the spraying, or one of hers just out of habit. Maybe I could try something citrus smelling on the windshield or hood like another poster suggested.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
rather than harming the cat why not fight fire with WATER as cats hate water so a water gun or a hose should do the trick... cover would also protect your car too...
Wish I could rig up a motion activated water nozzle or something. He'd come to spray my car and get sprayed instead. A car that sprays back - need a video of that! Or maybe dig a moat around the front of the car? (Yeah, the mosquitos here would love that)

I've tried parking in different spots and am having some success with a spot where the grass is higher, so they have to wade thru wet grass to get to the car at night. Now its like once or twice a week they get up there instead of every night. Of course now their feet are extra wet and sandy when they do...

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
^^ different story if you know the cats or can work with them b/c they can be trained very easily... mine are like dogs >> sit, stay come, fetch etc, and they even bring back whatever they want me to throw again lol.. might wanna try making friends with them around your car and almost encourage them to jump on it and then be very firm with a "no" when they attempt to... if you can't get em to listen then a water pistol is a good friend to have around when it comes to training - trust me...

ps - can buy aroma therapy oils real cheap (local health food stores) and use on cloth and put around your car on the ground... peppermint and eucalyptus oils are major cat repellents - at least for mine....

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm thinking of ordering a CatStop online - where did you get yours?

I ordered mine using the dealer locator found on the company's website and just searched for an online dealer that was closest to me in order to minimize shipping times:
http://www.contech-inc.com/products/catstop/

I will forewarn, some people have said it hasn't worked for them although the reviews are more than favourable. Apparently some cats just don't care about the noise. No complaints from me the first day I had it the neighbours cat approached the lawn and it went off. The cat made a 180 and returned to the neighbours house. It didn't scurry or look panicked, so I get the impression that it is more than humane for them.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I'd personally splurge on getting a cover for the car. I've lived with many many cats in my life, with all my vehicles (other than Soul), but, if the cats want on the car, they're gonna get on the car. I drove around with pawprints on my car all the time. They love to sleep on the cars for some reason. I've even started driving and found them IN my car! ;) Luckily I'm a cat lover.

Or maybe there's somewhere near by you can park where the cats won't be? Or is there a garage your landlady could let you park? Since it is her kitties causing the problems?

·
Registered
595 Posts
They like the cars because of the warmth of the engine, beyond that, they're cats, and they do whatever they feel like.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts