Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We will start prototyping on our catback exhaust system shortly. However, this really is dependent on you guys since looks are very important with this system unlike an intake and header where you do not have leeway with the design.

So please start posting here styles you guys would be interested in.

Many like the 7ism style with the exit in the middle. However, did you guys notice that you must cut your stock bumper in order to install that exhaust? Is that ok with you guys?

Some might want only a traditional single exit exhaust. Some want a traditional dual exhaust with the tips being on the outside like normal instead of the middle.

Please start giving us ideas of what you would like to see, and what style tips you think would look good. If we are going to cut the bumper, and use a dual exhaust, personally, i have always liked this design as shown on the Porsche SUV: http://cocarmall.com/talent/skin/kr/shop_index/1/cocar_goods_img/VIP%20STYLE_38_02.jpg

we currently use oval tips for our current exhausts such as our Tiburon unit:
http://www.evofusionusa.com/TeamSR/Hyundai/03tiburon-ovalexhaust.jpg

Any input will be appreciated. The styles that get the most votes, we will photochop if we can and then put up a poll.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I like the idea of a bumper through exhaust, though, it just doesn't seem reasonable to do on this car. The only usable surface is toward the outer corners. I wouldn't mind the thing finishing out with a halfway hidden stainless turndown. I want a decent sounding exhaust but I also like how tucked away the stock exhaust is. So long as it's not echo'y and somewhat mellow, I'd be very interested. I don't want anything harsh sounding just a mellow hum with a performance tone, especially if it exits under the car. That being said, I know that I am not the only person buying the exhaust so for mass production, I would say ovals exiting on each side of the black plastic center, just under the bumper.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So your preference would be dual oval on each side, but without having to cut into the bumper? The regular oval like on the tiburon picture above, or the dual tip one that looks like the porsche?

·
Registered
50 Posts
i agree with twisted on the sound. dont want some loud tinny sound. id like to have it on 1 side most likely cut through the bumper.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I would do a single oval on each side of the black plastic center tight to the underside of the bumper. Probably have to cut the underside of the bumper to get it tight.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am more concerned with the sound. It needs to sound like a well tuned car not a car with a hole in the muffler or the muffler cut off. I like the oval shapes best and single or dual would do it for me. Although I don't want to cut the body work up for it to be installed.

·
Registered
156 Posts
i think a single tip only on one side, round tip. i dont think ovals look good at all IMHO. tip should be maybe 2.5-3" max. i think a large resonator to give it a deeper tone would be beneficial so as not to sound like the typical rice burner exhaust that sound like a pissed off bees nest in a coffee can...

as far as it being a cat back, i really see no point in making it strictly catback, as there arent really any power mods out for these cars just yet. you could do one with only the rear section and one that is a catback for later use and just use two different flange styles if a buyer wants to have the sound and look now but oviously no power. then once a good set of headers comes out or a turbo kit then you can go for a header back or turbo back setup with larger cats... i know thats a lot of work, but if this car takes off in the market of performance, the versatility of multiple designs will pay dividends in the end for sure, ive seen it with the last two cars i had.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I would be interested in an axle-back setup, simply because a cat-back is too excessive (i.e. expensive) for a stock (or close to stock) engine setup.

As for exit location: One exit at the stock location with a nice tip, maybe with your company logo etched in (optional?)

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
I like the idea of a dual outlet set up , and I think you would have to cut into the bumper for it to look right ..... Also I have friend with a muffler shop and we have had the Soul on the rack , and from the looks of it ( underneath ) a transverse mounted muffler would be more Ideal for a dual outlet setup ...because of room .
The only reason i really wanted to do my Exhaust was for looks , here is a pic of a newer Sportage , I like the way this exits .

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Ahh my 2 cents, or in US it's like 1. 8...

I prefer a clean even look to the car. I would prefer a complete head back system, with an intake to match (only because she needs to suck as much as she blows!) that said... it depends on how much people want to spend on the exhaust system, and how much Hp will be gained. On my 99 Sunfire Convertible GT, I was able to gain 23 HP and 25 torque, by doing a full head back, plus intake sytem, with a little more back pressure.

I would prefer a dual exhaust, either cut into the bumper, or enclosed into the bumper, however if it is cat back it is really going to be only for looks. I would also prefer it to be /__\ or [__] shaped, as to match the styling of the car. However as most on here know if you don't do it exactly as I would like I will have it custom made somewhere. I just think if we are driving a box, keep the symmetry of the box within all parts. Also my last dual was a quad pipe square momo, and it sounded wicked, unlike those crappy civics. (pic below [in winter])

Cheers,

SOUL4U

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Why is everyone saying full cat back would be for looks? If it was axle back then it would be more for looks since you arent replacing all of the piping, IMO. It would not give as much power if you were to keep the stock after cat small diameter piping, and only increase the back end. The best thing to do would be header with flex pipe, high flow cat, and then full catback exhaust.

But with a small engine like this, we need to keep the diameter at 2.25 inches to make sure we do get some gains. The most HP we have ever gotten on our full cat back exhausts is on our elantra 01-03 exhaust where we dynoed it at 20 horsepower in crease. The same exhaust though on the new CVVT engine 2004 elantra only netted about a 7 horsepower increase. Still respectable though on a 2.0L 4 banger.

Today we looked very carefully at the design of the Soul Rear. I just do not see a way to get this done without cutting into the bumper. Due to the angular shape of the bottom of the bumper, you cannot have a traditional muffler and tip sticking straight out. I think it would look weird, and ride too close to the ground, right?

How do people feel about cutting into their bumper?

The black middle piece on the Soul, is that removable from the bumper? If so, i wonder if we could develop a rear diffusor to replace that, with cutouts already for a muffler....

·
Registered
925 Posts
The black middle piece on the Soul, is that removable from the bumper? If so, i wonder if we could develop a rear diffusor to replace that, with cutouts already for a muffler

If you did something like that ,if the center is removable ,I'd be all over it!!!The muffler has to be up under the car.NOT hanging down like I see on so many other import cars!!!
If it could sound like this ,minus the turbo ,that would be great!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDZKpVxnL8U

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That is exactly what I am wondering. The way the soul bumper is designed, the mufflers would have to sit way too low...

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Since any system you will develop is only going to be a single pipe Y'd into two mufflers , and two mufflers is really unnecessary , especially when you consider there is not much room under the rear , that is why on the newer sportage , it has a transverse mounted muffler (sideways) , there is no room and no reason to run two mufflers when you are just running one pipe from the front anyway , this way a single muffler would still tuck underneath the rear and not be noticed .

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That is an excellent point, and what we have considered as well. However, we still run into the same problem with the tips. If the tips come straight out without cutting the bumper it will A. sit too low, and B, look weird due to the gap from the bumper to the end of the tip.

ANy suggestions?

How many people would be ok with cutting their bumper?

·
Registered
925 Posts
I'll look at mine tomorrow and see what would be involved.I think if you included some kind of template it wouldn't be bad

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
That is an excellent point, and what we have considered as well. However, we still run into the same problem with the tips. If the tips come straight out without cutting the bumper it will A. sit too low, and B, look weird due to the gap from the bumper to the end of the tip.

ANy suggestions?

How many people would be ok with cutting their bumper?
I agree , for it to look right , the bumper would have to cut into ..... but I would ONLY cut into the center plastic section that is not painted .

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So has anyone tried to remove the back black piece from the bumper? From what it looks like, it SEEMS like removing it still would leave the back of the bumper there, as opposed to a huge gap where we could put in a new diffuser designed for our exhaust.

By the way, unless it just totally doesnt make sense design wise, we are planning on making the back half of this exhaust axleback to bolt on to the stock pipe, for dealerships and others more interested in looks and sound, and who want to save a couple bucks. But if the design will not lend itself to a good option for this, then we wont be able to.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
So has anyone tried to remove the back black piece from the bumper? From what it looks like, it SEEMS like removing it still would leave the back of the bumper there, as opposed to a huge gap where we could put in a new diffuser designed for our exhaust.

By the way, unless it just totally doesnt make sense design wise, we are planning on making the back half of this exhaust axleback to bolt on to the stock pipe, for dealerships and others more interested in looks and sound, and who want to save a couple bucks. But if the design will not lend itself to a good option for this, then we wont be able to.
I am going to get under the rear today , and see exactly what were lookin at , I think bolting up to the stock pipe (((( for the majority ))))) is perfect .

1 - 20 of 74 Posts