Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody! This is my first post. I just want to start off saying that I love my Soul so far, it is the best car I have ever owned. It is the first manual transmission I have ever owned too which is awesome. My aunt left it to me in her will. She was an amazing woman and as horrible a way to get a car as it is I am glad I have it. Anyways, I was vacuuming it out today and I had the back hatch open as well as a few doors but no keys in the ignition and the the electricity was still on. I noticed that the cargo light in the back was light the entire time I was vacuuming and on the dash it had the symbols for an ajar door lit up. Can anybody help me figure out how to cut all power when the car is completely off? I would love to be able to hangout with the doors open and not worry about the battery dying because the cargo light and dash drained it. Thank you for any help in advance!

-B

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
welcome to forum. Unless you have it open for a few days at a time, I don't think it draws that much power to cause problems. You could pull a fuse for it.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forums. If it bothers you that much while hanging out, pull the bulb or fuze (as suggested). Unless your battery is really weak, it is not going to draw enough power to matter for a while. If you are handy, put a single throw, single pole switch back there in the circuit so you can manually turn it on or off (which is probably what I would do).

·
Registered
994 Posts
I'd also recommend checking for a dedicated switch already there. Not sure if the KIA has one for the hatch, but I know for the overhead dome light, there are choices for "on", "off", and "door", and I've seen other cars with dedicated off switches for the hatch for just such occasions.

I agree with others though in that there should be minimal draw. We used to leave our car doors open while running the radio 4 - 8 hours while "working". And especially since you have a manual = even less of a problem; just park it on a slight decline whenever possible to enable rolling jump-starts should the battery ever drain!!!

Greg

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. My wife left her inside light on in the car for at least one day, and it might have been 2 (it was the weekend) by the time I went down and noticed it Monday morning when I left to go to work. The car started just fine.

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
the activation for the cargo light and corresponding dash light, is through the hatch locking catch - not sure if you can just stick something in the mechanism to make it think its locked, never tried it as it doesn't bother me - just make sure whatever you do you can un-trigger it, but I guess there's always the internal emergency hatch release catch ;)

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
787 Posts
There is "no problem", it is doing what it was designed to do. If the lights did not come-someone would complain-guarantee it!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello and well come.
If you are too worried about it you can change the bulbs to LED, which draw Les from battery and can also give you a brighter interior.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you very much everyone! I really appreciate it. If it is not going to draw enough power to matter than I am definitely not going to worry about it :)

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
welcome to forum. Unless you have it open for a few days at a time, I don't think it draws that much power to cause problems. You could pull a fuse for it.
Hello, first time on the forum, where would the fuse supplying power to the cargo light be located? Thanks!
:)

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
Hello, first time on the forum, where would the fuse supplying power to the cargo light be located? Thanks!
:)
don't know any details of your vehicle but all fuses are listed in your owners manual or labeled on the cover of the fuse box

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Doesn't the soul have a battery save feature that turn the interior lights of after a period of time if a door is left open. I know my 2019 had this feature as does my 2020.

Pat.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,618 Posts
Doesn't the soul have a battery save feature that turn the interior lights of after a period of time if a door is left open. I know my 2019 had this feature as does my 2020.

Pat.
It does Pat but I believe in a "test" of that feature discovered that the cargo light didn't get the memo.

In my test I left the a side door open and within about 30 mins all power was cut off. However leaving the back hatch open, the cargo light never went off (but overhead lights did).

Reactions: SoNic67

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Too late to edit my above post,in the interests of truth I had a 2016 Soul not a 2019 as posted. I hit the nine by mistake.

Pat.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Yeah, changing the small interior bulbs to LED is something that I did also. More light, less power drain.
However, I had issues with some cheap LED's from eBay (China). After a while, some of the individual LED chips started to go off or even blink... very annoying.
I had to go buy something else, more expensive. But still can be a hit or miss.

·
Registered
844 Posts
It does Pat but I believe in a "test" of that feature discovered that the cargo light didn't get the memo.
In my test I left the a side door open and within about 30 mins all power was cut off. However leaving the back hatch open, the cargo light never went off (but overhead lights did).
That's a design feature. As you can see in the attached diagram (from my 2011, I assume newer years are the same), the interior lights are controlled (on the ground side) separately to the "room lamp control" inside the BCM. The "luggage light" is connected straight to the ground.
However, if you manually turn on a map light, that will also stay on permanently.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,618 Posts
That's a design feature. As you can see in the attached diagram (from my 2011, I assume newer years are the same), the interior lights are controlled (on the ground side) separately to the "room lamp control" inside the BCM. The "luggage light" is connected straight to the ground.
However, if you manually turn on a map light, that will also stay on permanently.

View attachment 132910
Thanks Sonic, that's great info. If I need to keep the back hatch open for any long amount of time, I just use a key or screwdriver to manually shut the latching mechanism (easy to do) & that shuts the cargo lamp off.

For more info I wrote it up a while back on Post#26

https://www.kiasoulforums.com/threads/trunk-light-replacement.62241/page-2#post-815841

Reactions: SoNic67
1 - 20 of 22 Posts