Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

Cargo Cover and Rear Seat 12v Outlet and Dual Port USB Connection On 2013 Base

8K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Dajedebcpolwe 
#1 · (Edited)
Some 'Home Made' Mods to my 2013 Base Soul 1.6 MT:

Materials: 1 - 3' 1X2, 1 - 4' 1X2 (Home Depot -- $2.95, 1 - Pkg of 4, 1/4" Black Door Hinge Pins (Lowes -- $.60), 2 - pkgs of Black Plastic Screw Covers (Home Depot -- $.95 per pkg), 1 - 2' X 4' 1/4" luan panel (Home Depot -- $7.57) and one 3' X 6' roll of Black Automotive carpet (Walmart -- $8.96). I used a hot-melt glue gun to secure the hinge pins into the ends of the 1 X2s and to 'HEM' the carpet. I plan to paint the wood parts black and will probably replace the plastic screw covers and screws with Snaps purchased from Walmart for $4.97. Flat end of hinge pins rest in the factory recess and shafts extend approx. 3" into the 1 X 2s. I thought that would be sturdier than wooden dowels. Plywood was scribed to fit the space and then used as a template for the carpet. I added about an extra inch all around, EXCEPT along the rear. THERE, I added about 3". After 'Hemming" (approximately 1/2" on the front and sides and about 1 1/2" along the rear, it fits rather snugly. Dropping the seatbacks allows for easy removal.

This doesn't really look as bad as the pix make it appear ... If I were to have a 'Do-Over', I would opt for a SINGLE 12V outlet and plug in a Dual-Output USB adapter as it would fit the curvature better. I bought the unit for about $9 at Walmart and used a Dremel-type tool to cut the mount plate off and to cut the plastic panel. I used a hot-melt glue gun to secure it and caulked the gap with Black RTG Silicone.

The USB Ports are 'Charge Only', although it probably wouldn't be TOO difficult to add in parallel connectivity with the stereo -- but WHY? I'm not about to surrender sovereign control over the SOUNDS ...

I popped out the console mounted unit and spliced in two 14 ga wires to provide power for the rear. If you remove the one side panel next to the gas pedal, the rest of the console is flexible enough to feed the wires under along the floor line, keeping them well away from any of the moving parts of the shifter or the parking brake mechanism.

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for the pictures. For the power outlets you could have bought one online that's designed for exactly what you did, except all you have to do is drill a small hole and you don't have to dremel anything, so when you're done it looks totally stock. Still, I admire your gumption to get out there and get what you need. What I might have done if I had the same setup is you is drill a hole just big enough to pop the actual outlets of, and drill 2 small recessed holes through the front of the panel and used black trim screws to screw the outlet in from the front. I think that would have looked better.

Anyway, keep it up! If no one does anything to customize their ride, we'd never see these things and get ideas. Your cargo cover came out sweet, btw.

#3 ·
Since my last post, I added a Curt hitch (and wiring) and these: Wolo Model 320-2T Maxi Sound Universal Red Low and High Tone Replacement Horns - 12 Volt : Amazon.com : Automotive

Mounted one in place of the factory horn and the other inside the engine compartment, using a pre-existing, threaded hole on the passenger side just forward of the strut tower.

Much nicer sound -- NOT 'Air Horn' or 'Heart-Stopping' -- just a reasonably loud, HORN sound.
No more 'Meep! Meep! :)

I'll add pix if I get the chance, but it's pretty self-explanatory . . .

#8 ·
The first picture is close to what mine looks like except mine is a regular 12v outlet. The threaded part will screw tight onto the panel and the outlet is a little bigger at the front than the size hole you make, so when you're done it looks like it was built that way and you can't see the hole or the cut, and the nut holds it tight to the panel. So yeah, you can use that if you're looking for USB power.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.