Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So its been a while since everyone was worried about carbon build up on the intake valves in the DGI engine. Now lets get to today like a few years later since the panic. How many of the Souls with the DGI motor has had any problems with the carbon build up? If you read this forum a few years ago you would thing there would be no Souls with the DGI motor running today. So how are the DGI motors doing today? My 2016 Soul+ had 60,000 +mi. when I traded it for a new 2020 Soul EX and it ran like the day I bought it. No catch can, No top tier gas, no nothing and it just kept running. So by now there should be some 100,000 mi. Souls out there so how are they doing? Just wondering.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I was initially concerned when we bought our new '13 Base 1.6 Automatic. At the time, the Germans (BMW, Audi!!) were getting hit hard with buildups. Time showed that Kia must have done their homework, because when we traded last year for a '20 Soul LX, the old one had 95K miles and still ran like new and used no oil. But - I used synthetic oil except a few times, and mostly top tier gas and Techron (which don't clean the intake valves but do keep the injectors and combustion chamber cleaner).

Hindsight is almost always 20/20.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
6,963 Posts
So its been a while since everyone was worried about carbon build up on the intake valves in the DGI engine. Now lets get to today like a few years later since the panic. How many of the Souls with the DGI motor has had any problems with the carbon build up? If you read this forum a few years ago you would thing there would be no Souls with the DGI motor running today. So how are the DGI motors doing today? My 2016 Soul+ had 60,000 +mi. when I traded it for a new 2020 Soul EX and it ran like the day I bought it. No catch can, No top tear gas, no nothing and it just kept running. So by now there should be some 100,000 mi. Souls out there so how are they doing? Just wondering.
This has recently been talked about in other threads and I'm thinking the same as you glove. The big bad carbon buildup plague didn't wipe out our GDI engine Souls. The horrendous buildup problem was associated with early, mostly German (cough cough Audi, VW etc) brands.

The technology has evolved and our Gamma II engines, with VVT and updated software controlling the injectors. It's a different beast than those older engines.

As I mentioned in the other threads, can you honestly imagine KIA putting GDI engines in their new Telluride, along with Sorento, Sedona, Stinger, Sportage & K900's if they were going to coke up and fail? Even the flagship Genesis uses GDI in all vehicles.

Also missing is hordes of forum members complaining about this problem. We're not a shy bunch you know :)

Mine purrs like day one as well glove. I honestly have been impressed with how this engine runs, for 6 years now.

Reactions: dynamo and pnoman

·
Registered
201 Posts
Hi GeoSoul, How many miles in 6 years? What oil do you use? At this time,we should all relax a little.:coffee:;)

·
Registered
Kia Soul 2015 2.0 litre EX GDI Alien Green II Pearl
287 Posts
Hi GeoSoul, How many miles in 6 years? What oil do you use? At this time,we should all relax a little.:coffee:;)
Hmmm..... I think Soul owners like GeoSoul should relax a little. Working hard here to become a Soul owner like GeoSoul. -hehe-

As for those folks who do not understand the potential issues with a GDI engine and who never check their oil between oil changes, they should relax less. A lot less.

Reactions: eGAK009

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
As for those folks who do not understand the potential issues with a GDI engine and who never check their oil between oil changes, they should relax less. A lot less.
Can't agree more westslope. GDI engines definitely need a higher level of maintenance than some people may be aware of, or willing to do. Not a ton, but less forgiving than a Port or MPI engine.

The usual suspects, like short drives (not fulling reaching operating temps), infrequent oil & filter changes or not checking your oil level, dirty air filter, not using top tier fuel (or a Techron type product), blocked PCV etc can lead to carbon buildup. GDI does best with a very clean operating environment.

Do that and you can chillax while racking up many trouble free miles :)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Right there in the owners manual even way back in 2014. Owners are expected to check the oil level at every fuel stop.

How often do you see that these days.

·
Registered
6,963 Posts
I had my 2012 since new. It now has 93K miles. Runs great, but does burn about a quart of oil every 3K miles,
Congrats on your mileage. What type & weight of oil do you run? Last time you swapped in a new PCV valve?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts