Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been using Meguiar's Ultimate Wash & Wax for awhile and so far am pleased with the results. I have a Ryobi pressure washer that I used once on my 2 vehicles. I have ordered a "foamer" kit off Amazon that will attach to the pressure washer handle and see how that does. I have also ordered a "small" Sun Joe handheld blower to blow off the remaining water on the cars after washing. I rarely go to a commercial car wash as they almost always miss some areas.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I rarely go to a commercial car wash as they almost always miss some areas.
Not to mention they're prone to damage, I've seen/heard multiple people complain about things like ripped off trim and swirl marks.

I also use Meguiar's, their whole product line really since they constantly come out on top of wash/wax reviews. I'm old school though with the two bucket wash and microfiber drag to get rid of the excess water. Right after I got my Soul I also had it clay barred then waxed, and plan on repeating that every six months with periodic quick wax in between.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,595 Posts
I started using Meguiar's Deep Crystal Car Wash (I have no idea what the deep crystal is all about) when I bought my Soul new. Just wash, no wax formula. Old school hard shell Turtle wax about once a year. Looks amazing.

I'd always used a mild dish soap most of my life, but thanks to this forum learned that method actually strips wax off.

I'm curious if those who use the "wash & wax" variant experience any wax film on the windshield when using the wipers?

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
220 Posts
For years with my previous car I used NuFinish and would continue to use with the KIA Soul I now have but unfortunately NuFinish doesn't play nice with textured black trim/molding (leaves behind a white residue that's not easy to remove). Thus when I wax my KIA Soul using NuFinish I have to try not to get it on the body trim which makes the waxing process take longer.

I just finished up my last bottle of NuFinish and after doing a some research I plan to give Aero Cosmetics Wet or Waterless Car Wash Wax a try.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Not to mention they're prone to damage, I've seen/heard multiple people complain about things like ripped off trim and swirl marks.

I also use Meguiar's, their whole product line really since they constantly come out on top of wash/wax reviews. I'm old school though with the two bucket wash and microfiber drag to get rid of the excess water. Right after I got my Soul I also had it clay barred then waxed, and plan on repeating that every six months with periodic quick wax in between.
Jun 2014 RedZone with custom '14' decals,
Beem goin' to SuperStar DriveThru Carwash
'Carnuba' everything level monthly pass
Multiple times per week
No expectation of showroom detail wash level
Not had trim or other damage
Paint is great
Even the DECALS are great (not faded or worn)

Perhaps not all of these DriveThru's are the same

YMMV
But we have been very happy
And had no issues in 4+ years.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,595 Posts
For years with my previous car I used NuFinish and would continue to use with the KIA Soul I now have but unfortunately NuFinish doesn't play nice with textured black trim/molding (leaves behind a white residue that's not easy to remove). Thus when I wax my KIA Soul using NuFinish I have to try not to get it on the body trim which makes the waxing process take longer.

I just finished up my last bottle of NuFinish and after doing a some research I plan to give Aero Cosmetics Wet or Waterless Car Wash Wax a try.
Tosen I know what you mean about getting wax on places that it shouldn't be.

I decided to get serious with the Soul & now us green Frog tape & newspapers to keep the wax & dust from buffing, off the glass etc.

Really, I'm not completely OCD :)

Photo-0325.jpg Frog tape.jpg

Reactions: orionastro

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
there is wax products out there that do not leave a white residue.

·
Premium Member
2017 KIA Soul base, Titanium. Bought some better taars.
2,656 Posts
Multiple times per week
Paint is great

YMMV
I've tried perhaps a dozen drive-through car worshes in the last couple of years since we moved here. I found TWO that have soft scrubbing material and that leave a good coat of wax and tire shine. The others did not.

·
Registered
842 Posts

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
220 Posts
The key words being "not completely" :)

Seriously I applaud the dedication. Even though I only wax the car (using NuFinish) once or twice a year - garage kept and only drive ~7K miles a year - masking off areas would still be too much work for me, I don't have the patience.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Multiple times per week
Paint is great

YMMV

Kudos on finding a good one. In my neck of the woods a majority of the owners really only put in enough maintenance to keep the bill machine working. And the most recent first hand account of damage I've seen came from a Texas Soul owner in another group who got their gen 1 side molding ripped off by a drive through a few weeks ago. I'd love to find a good touchless car wash, especially for the winter, but that's pretty hard to do when I refuse to chance it. :wink:

·
Registered
4,435 Posts
The key words being "not completely" :)

Seriously I applaud the dedication. Even though I only wax the car (using NuFinish) once or twice a year - garage kept and only drive ~7K miles a year - masking off areas would still be too much work for me, I don't have the patience.

No "wax" in Nu finish.
The secret ingredient (promise not to tell anyone) is...Kerosene.
That's why it cleans and protects so well.
I've been using if for about 30 years now.
The key is to apply it with a damp towel and only let it haze but not fully dry to a powder as powder scratches the paint.
Another great product is imperial hand glaze (3M?) truly amazing stuff especially on the darker colors.

·
Registered
Inferno Red 2015 Soul +, Shadow Black 2016 Soul +
69 Posts
I use the Turtlewax zipwax for washing and alternate between Meguiars ultimate liquid wax, and 3D HD Speed wax.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Geo, what is this "newspaper" thing? I had a subscription to a thing called "newspaper" years ago, but cancelled it due to it not being delivered.

Reactions: GeoSoul

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I use the Turtlewax zipwax for washing and alternate between Meguiars ultimate liquid wax, and 3D HD Speed wax.
I use the Turtlewax car wash liquid, but with that and the Clearcoat on my Soul, actually waxing the car is not required for a great shine.

I got my first car with a Clearcoat back in 2000, and I've not waxed a car since. Wax ON...Wax OFF? Not for me!

Cheers Mates!

:cool:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts