Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

It’s OK if you’re not an automotive engineer. Of course, if you are, this probably isn’t for you because here are 10 basic things every motorist should be able to do. How many of them are you capable of?

Read more >>

·
Registered
423 Posts
This list is a good starting point, but I believe there are several easy tasks that should also be checked.

1) When checking the tire pressure, CHECK THE SPARE! Come on, 'fess up, when is the last time you checked the pressure in your spare? Most of those 60PSI donuts are riding in the back with 20PSI, which folks will discover when they have a flat on a busy interstate. Miles from the nearest town. At night. In the rain. Of course, you can do like me and also carry a portable compressor just in case.
2) How about checking the brake fluid when you are under the hood. Is it full? Is it clear or is it way past the "Sell By" date and looks like the Queen's afternoon tea?
3) Check all of your lights - headlights, turn signals, brake lights, etc. Yes, most states have a yearly inspection, but that means you could be running with one headlight for months.
4) Learning how to change a flat is VERY good advice (mandatory to demonstrate to get your license in many European countries), but while you have the tires off, it's usually pretty easy to inspect the tires and the brakes.

I'm sure I will think of many more easy checks as soon as I click off. So will you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts