Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Plus and this problem comes and goes. When I come home from the store I park the car in the
garage and obviously open the door and get out. Many times the car will lock itself after 20 seconds. So now
the car is in my garage with the windows down but the doors are locked. It's super annoying to go into
the garage to put something in the car and the doors are locked.

I have looked in the Owners Manual in vain. I actually stood there and counted to 20 before the car locked itself..
Does anyone know why it would do this? Also, it doesn't do this all the time. It will do it for a while then stop doing
this Is there some magic remote button push combination that I don't know about?

·
Registered
14,775 Posts
first what type of fob - keyless with flip key or smart key with push-button start? You can get either one in a 2017 Plus.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Maybe you're hitting the lock button accidentally in your pocket. Happened to me a bunch of times, until I made the button harder to press.

·
Registered
199 Posts
That won't happen if you remove the key. My 2015 did that. I got frustrated having to unlock the Hatch to retrieve stuff. Even my 2018 w/ add on remote does that.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
That won't happen if you remove the key. My 2015 did that. I got frustrated having to unlock the Hatch to retrieve stuff. Even my 2018 w/ add on remote does that.
Not unless something is wrong with your car, it is the opposite. The car can not lock with the key in the ignition not running and in the full off position. Trying to do so causes the locks to lock and quickly unlock sensing the key in the car not running. This is for the situation the OP has with an actual flip key.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Maybe you're hitting the lock button accidentally in your pocket. Happened to me a bunch of times, until I made the button harder to press.
10-4 on that. Could do what I do if it is a secure garage at your own house and leave the keys in it. Most people do not take the keys out and put them where someone can't find them anyway, usually the opposite right in the open in the house so taking them out not much of a theft deterrent in the case of a break in. Not to mention you and your car might not even be there...

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When it does lock itself it is approximately 20 seconds after shutting the door because I stood there and counted the seconds in the garage. Now when I get out of the car at home I kinda stand around a bit and wait to see what happens. How did you make the button less sensitive to touch ?

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
When it does lock itself it is approximately 20 seconds after shutting the door because I stood there and counted the seconds in the garage. Now when I get out of the car at home I kinda stand around a bit and wait to see what happens. How did you make the button less sensitive to touch ?
Some disassembly is required. Depending on a remote, you can take it apart and file off the button.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have a 2017 Plus and this problem comes and goes. When I come home from the store I park the car in the
garage and obviously open the door and get out. Many times the car will lock itself after 20 seconds. So now
the car is in my garage with the windows down but the doors are locked. It's super annoying to go into

I have looked in the Owners Manual in vain. I actually stood there and counted to 20 before the car locked itself..
Does anyone know why it would do this? Also, it doesn't do this all the time. It will do it for a while then stop doing
this Is there some magic remote button push combination that I don't know about?
My 2018 Soul + also does something similar. If I unlock the car from in the house, then by the time I get out to the car, it has locked itself back. Very irritating. When I first bought the car (in 2018, but used), it would automatically UNLOCK all the doors whenever I put it into Park! That's dangerous, as a person might not be in a good area!! The tech went into the programming with his tablet, & reprogrammed this. I wonder if they could do the same with my locking issue, & yours. I'm going to check with them. You might do this, too, if you haven't already.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2017 soul also does the same thing. If I unlock the car from in the house, then by the time I get out to the car, it has locked itself back. Aso irritating. I like it that automatically UNLOCK all the doors whenever I put it into Park! It also locks the door when my wife sets in the car waiting for me with the engine running. We try to carry both keys when we go out.

it

·
Registered
14,775 Posts
My 2018 Soul + also does something similar. If I unlock the car from in the house, then by the time I get out to the car, it has locked itself back. Very irritating. When I first bought the car (in 2018, but used), it would automatically UNLOCK all the doors whenever I put it into Park! That's dangerous, as a person might not be in a good area!! The tech went into the programming with his tablet, & reprogrammed this. I wonder if they could do the same with my locking issue, & yours. I'm going to check with them. You might do this, too, if you haven't already.
if this is your concern then just put it into NEUTRAL instead of PARK and pull on the handbrake, it will not unlock the doors. The vehicle auto locking after about 30 seconds has been a standard feature every since the Soul came out - I think that is a good feature.
If you have the Supervision cluster then you can control these feature via settings.

·
Registered
11 Posts

Wow, I've had my Kia Soul since it was new in 2016, and I've just assumed that this was a feature of the car. It's always done this for me also, and is really annoying. I have a disability and walk with a cane; it does me no good to press the button to unlock the car as I approach it because it will lock itself before I can get to it. This is especially irritating when I have groceries to put in the back only to find that it's locked itself before I can open the hatch. I wonder what rocket scientist thought this was a good design idea.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a Kia Soul 2017 plus with the same problem. My work around is to partial close the door with one click and the automatic lock does not work.

·
Registered
637 Posts
2015 Base here. I have given up trying to figure out the locking behavior. I did learn the hard way that if you take the key out of the ignition and set it on the seat, then get out to check something on the car, the computer will yell "GOTCHA!" and lock the doors. It's annoying that this behavior isn't documented in the manual. Just getting out and taking the key, sometimes it is locked when I return, and sometimes not. Putting the fob onto a tether attached to my belt seems to have solved that problem. Except that every once in a while, I'll get out leaving the key in the ignition (say, to pump gas) and break the tether. That's probably better than having a stronger tether and breaking the ignition lock, or pulling my pants down, though.

The relocking if you unlock remotely and don't get into the car soon (30s? 60s?) "is a feature, not a bug" (as computer companies like to say). Don't do the unlock until you're close to the car.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
I think the original problem has gotten a little off track. Your situation isn't similar. Many cars are set to re-lock after unlocking after a time period with a remote for various good reasons. In a case where it takes you a little longer to get to the car many people would just unlock it while being a little closer to the car.

I agree on unlocking when in park when in some areas. That should be a customer choice. Again many people in that situation put it in neutral till ready to exit.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My molten appears "intermittent". If I fob unlock x2 10 seconds later it will self relock unless I open the hatch or any passenger door and keep it open past the timer. If I want to grab my jacket for instance (unlock, open, item, close) it will usually relock. However, if I stop to put my jacket on it will not relock.
My driver's door is completely erratic because the pillar button is defective. The dome lights revealed that one.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Putting the fob onto a tether attached to my belt seems to have solved that problem
I have similar, except 2 keys. I keep a carabineer with all my important keys+fob and a single keyring with my two blade keys (one soul, one pickup). The carabineer (clipped to my belt) has a short leash tucked in to my pocket. I keep the loose ring in a different pocket.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well it only gets better !! Today I took my Soul to the dealer for routine maintenance (30,000). I mentioned that the hatch light doesn't come on when you open the hatch and I told them about the car locking itself 30 seconds after I get out and how annoying it is when I try to put things in or out of the car.

So they supposedly "reprogrammed" the locking issue. When I came home, I drove into my garage, put the car in Park and turned off the key. The front doors unlocked but the back doors and the hatch stayed locked. (and never unlocked). If someone was in the car they could not get out (yes, I did check the child safety button which was off). So then I used the keyfob to unlock the doors. 30 seconds later all 4 doors and hatch locked themselves. This can not be right.

I am going back to the Dealer on Thurs as they had to order a part to repair the hatch light. We can have another discussion regarding the car locking itself. I will be interested to see how the hatch light repair turns out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts