Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This review is a WARNING to those buying a car at Kia of Cerritos. While the overall price I was quoted for my car was very good, they TACKED ON $560 in "dealer add ons" such as "Phantom Footprints" which is a decal stuck on doors, hood and trunk to help identify the parts of your vehicle if it is stolen, and mud flaps. There is NO COST to the dealer for the decals, and on another car I bought elsewhere that had them already "installed", I refused to pay the fee, and the car was not registered with the company. That was fine with me. Oh, the "insurance" is ONLY GOOD FOR FIVE YEARS! They charged $100 over cost for mud flaps! But like I said, the price was ok, I just don't like being FORCED to buy something I don't need or want, AND THAT THEY ARE NOT UPFRONT IN TELLING YOU THIS WHEN YOU ASK FOR A QUOTE. That is a VERY DECEPTIVE way of doing business. And yes, I started to walk out! I asked them to adjust the price to remove "one or the other" from the cost of the car. They had to talk to "the manager." "Moe" is some sort of "manager and he is a jerk. You can tell by the look in his eyes, you aren't going to get anywhere with him. He talks down to you. At some point, someone said, "Are you going to walk over $300?" I should have said, "Are you going to let me walk over $300?" I suggest you TRY THAT!

Deciding to go through with the deal, they ran a credit check on me. They were impressed! We talked about taking the Kia $1,000 rebate which means you HAVE to use Kia financing. Kia is offering 0.9% but no rebate. I opted to take the rebate and go with Kia's offer of 2.9% for 60 months.

This is where the deal went WAY SOUTH! Alex, another jerk, wrote my purchase contact for 5.9% for 72 months!!! WTF? 5.9% is not even a Kia offer, and especially since my credit is very good! Jerk never pointed this out on the contract...I looked at it and handed it back to him. I said, "This isn't what we agreed on." After some more jerking, he told me that the 2.9% offered by Kia has an ADDITIONAL 1% TACKED ON FOR "DEALER PARTICIPATION" AND THAT GOES TO THE DEALER, not the finance company! It's just one more deceptive thing they did in order to make more money. That makes the loan 3.9%. He said we could still walk out on the deal. Why do they wait until the last minute to tell you this? I again should have said, "Are you going to let me walk over 1%??" I don't believe that additional percent is mandated by Kia Corporate! Also, they charged me a legitimate “tire fee” on the SPARE TIRE, but there is NO SPARE TIRE on this car! Yeah it’s only $1.75, but multiply that by the number of cars this “high volume” dealer sells and it becomes significant TO THEM! Just another example of how they line their pockets and rip off customers.

Finance jerk was not friendly and didn't even push his big "money maker"...the extended warranty contract. BTW, read those (the actual CONTRACT, not just the "sales pamphlet”) very carefully! Many newly designed parts such as "electric steering" seem to be missing as being covered. Also, "normal wear and tear" is not covered, only "mechanical breakdown" is covered. Who decides THAT for you? A judgement call at best!! Very vague and ambiguous language for an asking price of $2,000!!

My new car was only quickly washed before they gave it to me, with many water spots because they didn't do a good job drying it. No coat of wax. Tires at 42psi "cold" when 33psi is recommended! Some dealers offered a "year of free oil/filter/minor services, one offered "LIFETIME" on those. Kia of Cerritos offered "your first oil change is free." Maybe that's because I got a good deal on the car, they couldn't afford to throw those in? In any case, it's not worth the drive down there for an oil change! There was a small chip in the paint on one door, so I asked for a small bottle of touch-up paint ($15?). Nope. Came with a full tank of gas though!

Just be VERY AWARE of EVERYTHING they do! They are probably typical of most stealerships that deceive to make profit, rather than stand out of being upfront and HONEST.

I'm sure if I paid full MSRP PLUS ADD ONS and over $3,000 in "added dealer markup" I would have been treated like a (stupid) king!

I hope this helps someone become a smart(er) shopper!! This process took 4 HOURS!

BTW, when I checked the "cold" tire pressures the next morning, all of them were about 10lbs overinflated! Kia Motors pays the stealership to do a "pre-delivery inspection" which, when I worked on new cars in the 70s and 80s, paid 1.5hrs labor! Obviously they just pocket that money and figure any problems would be warranty. Well I'm checking the lug nut torque next because if wheel falls off because they nuts are loose, that's not warranty!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Frustrating... hate my dealer too, they tried all sorts of crap with me but I held my ground. Mine only came with the first oil change free too... I think that's the standard there, not just me.

EDIT: hope you submit a Google review. I'm pretty sure my dealer uses reputation.com or some other review writing service.
You should call Kia HQ too... they are good listeners :)

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
This is typical with ALL dealerships.Not only Kia.However,when I shopped for my Kia,the transaction was so-so.
Got to say the finance guy knew his stuff.My major complaint about dealerships is the lack of training for the sales
personnel.If you are looking for a specific car,you've done some research,read about it,reviews etc.Maybe some
referrals.THe average salesperson will know little about the features,specs etc.Of course,if you have the name of
a veteran sales guy,he/she may offer better.THis knowledge does get better with the price tag.BMW,Mercedes...
Some dealerships(smart)have a person on board that KNOWS a particular model,Like a Corvette.
Regardless,all the shady sales tactics,bait&switch stuff needs to be reported.Contact the maker's zone office or speak to
the owner.
I'd walk if that happened to me.

·
Super Moderator
9,508 Posts
I got that financing deal (paid it off right away) for 2.9%, there was no dealer add on , that is BS. I don't know if you can get any redress from Kia but you are right to be upset. But in the end, I think you should have walked at least a half dozen times. I feel your pain, I really do having done the same thing in past lives.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wow... I consider myself truly fortunate that my dealer (Findlay Kia Las Vegas, NV) is/has been nothing but an outstanding experience with every vehicle my family has purchased from them.

The last terrible dealership I dealt with was with a local Range Rover franchise (Yeah - Typical) that just happens to be located right next door to my local Kia Dealer - LOL!

·
Registered
587 Posts
You should have walked right to another dealership. There are good ones out there. I had an A1 Top Shelf experience with Sussman KIA in Jenkintown PA after I sorted through a couple lying losers. No BS, no surprises, no last minute hidden costs and a full tank of gas.

·
Registered
14,860 Posts
you get your nickels worth by reporting the dealer here Car Dealer Reviews, Dealership Ratings, Cars For Sale - DealerRater.com

I always arrange my own financing with the bank before purchase and then can take advantage of cash purchase discounts, works out way better in the long run - at least for me. ;)

My dealer has been great and have been dealing with them for over six years.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cash is no longer king it seems. The price would have been even higher because they can't do stuff like "dealer participation."

Through my credit union, I can get 1.95%, but then I would have lost the $1,000 rebate. What I plan to do is take the first payment coupon straight to the credit union and pay off the BS loan. I don't know if that effects the dealer participation or not, but it effects ME! Best of both worlds. I think they count on people NOT having other options like that!

The only reason I didn't walk was that NO other dealer in SoCa had the car I was looking for. Other dealers that were much closer to me would have had to do a dealer trade, but then the price went up. But on principle, I was ready to walk at the first hint of BS. And it kept coming!

Yes, thanks for the links so I can post my experience with this dealer. I hope they are happy with what footprints and dealer participation are doing for them.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
I had a good experience at Car Pros in Carson, CA. They actually worked with me a lot to make sure I was happy going out the door. I ended up getting a vehicle with extras I did not want but had the added cost removed (remote starter being the big one). Even got the spare tire thrown in for free. Mine came with the ID tags so I assume they are not dealer add-ons.

·
Super Moderator
9,508 Posts
I had a good experience at Car Pros in Carson, CA. They actually worked with me a lot to make sure I was happy going out the door. I ended up getting a vehicle with extras I did not want but had the added cost removed (remote starter being the big one). Even got the spare tire thrown in for free. Mine came with the ID tags so I assume they are not dealer add-ons.
Hard to tell about the port add ons, they seem to come and go over time. Dealers generally don't have any control of them either. If they show up on the MSRP sticker and are not standard items listed by KIA, then you can bet they are port options.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Cash is no longer king it seems. The price would have been even higher because they can't do stuff like "dealer participation."

Through my credit union, I can get 1.95%, but then I would have lost the $1,000 rebate. What I plan to do is take the first payment coupon straight to the credit union and pay off the BS loan. I don't know if that effects the dealer participation or not, but it effects ME! Best of both worlds. I think they count on people NOT having other options like that!

The only reason I didn't walk was that NO other dealer in SoCa had the car I was looking for. Other dealers that were much closer to me would have had to do a dealer trade, but then the price went up. But on principle, I was ready to walk at the first hint of BS. And it kept coming!

Yes, thanks for the links so I can post my experience with this dealer. I hope they are happy with what footprints and dealer participation are doing for them.
Well, so there you are. You wanted the car and was willing to suffer being abused and humiliated to own it :) Oh, what we won't do for love of car or money! For me, there's no car that I want bad enough to grovel. I just work out the price, go and pay, and go home.

This whole thing, btw, is easier if you work it out on the internet beforehand. I bought my last 3 cars that way and it works beautifully.

·
Super Moderator
9,508 Posts
I agree that it is easier to work out over the internet or phone if you know the dealer. I did that with my 2014 and then went in and got another 900 off before signing (the military and finance discount). But we all fall victim to whims and desires when it comes to buying cars. I am sure that over the years I have made every mistake that one can make and sometimes make some of them more than once. That is when I decided to make the deals before committing. No matter what, if I commit to the deal, I am satisfied and do not second guess myself any more after that. I got what I got and that is that.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I had a very good buying experience with Kia Autosport of Pensacola, Fl. I knew what I wanted, knew what a fair price was, and already had financing set. They treated me well. Even got 6 free oil changes, and did not even know it until my first oil change.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Well, so there you are. You wanted the car and was willing to suffer being abused and humiliated to own it :) Oh, what we won't do for love of car or money! For me, there's no car that I want bad enough to grovel. I just work out the price, go and pay, and go home.

This whole thing, btw, is easier if you work it out on the internet beforehand. I bought my last 3 cars that way and it works beautifully.
I DID go through the internet! Yet, the guy STILL added on "footprints" and charged $260 for mud flaps AFTER I got down there! They wouldn't make ANY adjustments in the price! I did a dealer inventory search on Kia Motors' website and this was the only car equipped the way I wanted it. They didn't know this however. If I had walked, it could be months before another one shows up...at another dealer of course!!

Some of you that had extras taken off the cost may have had a higher cost initially. Like I said, I thought the price was pretty good (they said "sold at a loss"...don't they always?) but still feel they screwed me by charging me another 1% on the loan, totally for THEIR PROFIT, and all the stuff that was not disclosed until AFTER I got there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds like the same way this dealers service area is run. I took my car there a couple times for general maintenance and minor damage and always came away feeling dirty and taken advantage of. Needless to say I don't take my car there anymore.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts