Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2013 Kia Soul (Base) and just tried to connect my new iPod Nano to it. I get a "Reading Error" message every time. This is the non-UVO audio system with the "iPod" connection that had a stereo jack and USB jack, if that's any help. I purchases a cable on eBay that was supposed to be a "Kia Soul" iPod cable, but I guess they lied.

From some of the older entries I see that I might need to purchase a cable from the dealer or the Kia Accessories website. Do they have one that works with the newer iPods "lighting cable" ports?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
If your iPod has the Lightning cable ( small male end ) and usb on the other , that's all you should need , you would plug directly into the USB port of the car . Have you tried that ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am having similar issues with my 2015 Kia Soul Exclaim. I have the UVO system. When I got the car in August, I plugged in my ipod nano using the USB cable it came with and it worked right away. I could see the songs on the screen and use the controls on the steering wheel to change the song and volume. Suddenly one day in January, it just stopped working. The screen still showed a song playing, but there was no audio. I went to the Kia dealer and they said I needed that special KIA cable. I bought it but it did not fit the nano. So I had to go to radio shack and get the adapter. I plugged it all in and the nano worked, with sound BUT the screen on the dash now said AUX and would not show songs and I could not use the steering wheel controls. Kia told me I should just use the radio. GEE THANKS!!! About 2 hours later, it suddenly started working and was great until yesterday morning when it happened again. I can't get any audio at all, even though the screen shows a song playing. I even tried a brand new ipod touch but same thing. Could it be the USB port or Audio port is bad??? This is so frustrating.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know as a tech that the 2011-2013 base model souls have issue with some of the newer devices. Our devices have what is called Communication Protocol. It is basically the language they speak. Since the older models are saying one thing, the newer device is saying something else therefore giving an error message. I have had to explain to plenty of customers that it just will not work. Now, what you can do if you have bluetooth, purchase a usb outlet charger for your device and stream the music.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts