Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I light of recent postings by Canadian owners I thought I would start this thread to allow us to vent. It would appear that there are still some bad dealerships out there. Also, the good dealerships should be recognized for their customer service and customer satisfaction.

KIA Canada does not send out customer satisfaction surveys like they do in the US so lets use this thread to voice our customer (dis)satisfaction as they must be afraid to hear the truth.

I know dealership personnel reads these forums so "naming names" is allowed and would benefit the public by giving them true feedback of your buying and servicing experiences.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The dealer I use is Richmond Kia in BC. They have not been very good at all, but I really like the car. Here is a quick list of problems I've encountered:

1) Just handed me the keys with no walk around or explanantion of the features.

2) Only gave me 1 key and 1 remote. After 5 months and 4 emails and 3 visits to the dealer, I finally got my spare key, but no remote. I finally gave up on the remote. Not impressed!

3) They added $200 to my bill at purchase time without telling me. It was for window etching and they never gave me the certificate that goes along with it. Each time I was told they would get it for me right away and mail it to me. Emailed 4 times, still didn't get it. I can't even see any etching on the windows! Pure crap.

4) My wife bought me the iPod cord and the metal pedals from there for Christmas. They ripped her off on the prices compared to the Kia Canada website. When I went back after Christmas and asked the parts guy, he told me that it was cheaper to buy them on the Kia Canada site. Total BS, you can not buy anything on that site, it is just for infomation only. Emailed Kia Canada and they arranged for a refund of the difference. When I went to get the refund, the parts guy told me that he had charged me the install price. I thought why would you charge me th einstall price and then just hand the parts over to the customer wihtout booking a time to have them installed? Also, why would there be a $20 install fee to plug in a iPod cord! I was too frustrated and tired to argue.

There have been a couple of more issues also. Kia has made a really good car, but this dealer is giving them a bad reputation. The only reason I still go to this dealership is because they gave me free oil changes for life. So I am sutck with them for servicing.

I don't hesitate to tell my friends about how bad this dealership is.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Is there a way to make this thread visible in the individual sections under Central, Western, Northern, and Maritimes. Had trouble locating this even after I had seen it.

Cheers,
SOUL4U

P.S. If not I can post a new thread in central for Onatrio, and seperate one for Quebec.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is there a way to make this thread visible in the individual sections under Central, Western, Northern, and Maritimes. Had trouble locating this even after I had seen it.

Cheers,
SOUL4U

P.S. If not I can post a new thread in central for Ontario, and separate one for Quebec.

DONE!...A link to this thread is now posted in each regional sub-forum.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Still finalizing things on purchase of my vehicle - am dealing with a dealership in the Golden Horseshoe (I'll name names once the deal is done)...

So far, the experience has been mediocre...my sales guy is very young and VERY eager - which is good in some respects but he's pretty pushy and a VERY fast-talker so I've had to tell him to slow down to get the real #'s on the vehicle during negotiations.

Right now I haven't signed paperwork but I've been quoted the following fees in addition to vehicle cost:

1. Paint Colour = $150 (I'm getting Vanilla which the Kia Canada website shows doesn't have a colour charge attached to it so still investigating this and would appreciate comments from others)
2. Admin = $299 (seems fair to me)
3. A/C Tax = $100 (ok)
4. Fuel Tax = $75 (ok)
5. UCDA = $5 (ok)
6. PDI = $395 (not sure if this cost is too high or not - obviously they need to make sure everything is ok but at $200/hour??)
7. VIN window etching = $399 (again, this charge seems questionable - why is the consumer being charged for something if it is done on all vehicles - shouldn't it be included in price of vehicle??)

As you can see, I'm fine with the reasonable/government necessary fees, but I've been doing research and the PDI/paint fee/security etching are leaving me scratching my head with whether or not I'm being charged fairly or being taken for a sucker.

Like I said - would appreciate anyone's comments with respect to additional dealer fees before I put pen to paper and will come back to tell the rest of my story once I have my pretty new Soul!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Well I can say I am very happy so far with my Dealer, TRENTO KIA in Toronto. great service and I highly recommend them.
No complaints.

·
Premium Member
1,151 Posts
Still finalizing things on purchase of my vehicle - am dealing with a dealership in the Golden Horseshoe (I'll name names once the deal is done)...

So far, the experience has been mediocre...my sales guy is very young and VERY eager - which is good in some respects but he's pretty pushy and a VERY fast-talker so I've had to tell him to slow down to get the real #'s on the vehicle during negotiations.

Right now I haven't signed paperwork but I've been quoted the following fees in addition to vehicle cost:

1. Paint Colour = $150 (I'm getting Vanilla which the Kia Canada website shows doesn't have a colour charge attached to it so still investigating this and would appreciate comments from others)
3. A/C Tax = $100 (ok)
4. Fuel Tax = $75 (ok)
5. UCDA = $5 (ok)
6. PDI = $395 (not sure if this cost is too high or not - obviously they need to make sure everything is ok but at $200/hour??)
7. VIN window etching = $399 (again, this charge seems questionable - why is the consumer being charged for something if it is done on all vehicles - shouldn't it be included in price of vehicle??)

As you can see, I'm fine with the reasonable/government necessary fees, but I've been doing research and the PDI/paint fee/security etching are leaving me scratching my head with whether or not I'm being charged fairly or being taken for a sucker.

Like I said - would appreciate anyone's comments with respect to additional dealer fees before I put pen to paper and will come back to tell the rest of my story once I have my pretty new Soul!

Without saying you are being taken for a ride I just thought I would let you know. There is over $1200 in fees listed you shouldnt be paying.

Cheers,
SOUL4U

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I paid a couple of those questionable fees myself when I bought mine.....I guess I was too anxious and not paying attention....

·
Registered
383 Posts

3. A/C Tax = $100 (ok)
4. Fuel Tax = $75 (ok)
5. UCDA = $5 (ok)

Bought mine in Montreal. Did not pay for these... Go somewhere else real fast

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought my Soul in Red Deer Alberta, there is only one dealership here and well.....the sales people have been great. But my car has had some issues, on December 29th I took it to the dealership with a steaming hood and blowing cold air. It is still not back today and apparently the motor that should have been replaced is being rebuilt and a new radiator has been ordered. But alas, it is now been 40 days and my car is not ready and after a phone call I recieved today, we are still waiting for parts! Seriously? I have had way better service from the local garage in Delburne, which I wish was affiliated as I would not be without my car still. Oh, yeah the dealership gave me a car to drive....it's a Spectra..........have you driven one of these? No options in it, just a bare bones 2005 off the lot waiting for it's new owner. Yes it was fine for the first couple of days and yes I'm happy I have a vehicle to drive....and yes I am glad that is not the vehicle I purchased! As for the dealership, I get the impression their hands are tied due to having to carry out only approved warranty work rather than doing the right thing which to me is to put a new motor out of the crate into the car. The customer service has been very poor, with no contact from the dealership unless I initiated it. Finally, after 5 weeks they finally get that they need to make that phone call regularly even when they don't have anything new to say.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We started shopping for our Soul at Newmarket (Ontario) Kia which is a beautiful new dealership - coffee bar, great kids' play area, etc. Our salesperson was very nice, but we didn't like his sales techniques of giving just the monthly cost without showing all of the fees - once we asked we found all these charges like you mentioned: admin, PDI, etching, etc etc...
My husband looked around and e-mailed Ed Chau at Scarboro Kia and we found everything we wanted in terms of customer service. Ed was up front, honest, flexible, easy to get along with. He treated us like intelligent beings and was a pleasure to deal with.
So, I guess the moral of the story is to shop around if you can, and make them be up front with the fees.

·
Registered
842 Posts
i too purchased mine from Scarboro Kia, straight from Rob (soul4u) actually.
excellent service, we did everything over the phone, he found me a silver one that was alittle far away but he snatched it up for me.
also took the time to explain everything to me upon delivery.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rob certainly is a stand up guy...Glad you had a great experience with your Soul purchase.

·
Registered
38 Posts
We bought our Soul from Kia Brampton, and I had no issues with my sales experience with them. All charges were explained to me upfront and was not surprised by any hidden fees afterwords. I negotiated a great deal for my wifes ride and I was able to get my car within 2 days which was great. I would definetly buy another Kia from Kia Brampton.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dilawri auto group - negative experiences?

I didn't want this thread to get lost in the complaint thread. I am going to be taking Bank Street Kia to small claims court. I will be going through a formal process including notifying BBB, OMVIC, etc of my horrible experience. I will be happy to share my experience in more depth. I'm wondering if anyone had any problems with Dilawri - especially overcharges or suprise fees. A few examples - being charged 150 for paint when a tomato red car didn't have a paint fee, overcharge/double charge on predelivery, or charging for something they said they would include for free - such as walkaway insurance.

Thank you. Please feel free to email me privately [email protected].

I am looking for a dealer to take over my maintenance also so I'd love to hear of some good dealer experiences on the maintenance side. My car will never go back to Dilawri and I tell everyone who asks about my awesome car to not buy from them - a lot of people are approaching me, and even a neighbour just bought one.

I would hate for anyone to have an experience remotely like mine. They have an F with the Better Business Bureau and I completely understand why.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good Salea Experience

I bought my Retro from Applewood Kia in Surrey BC. They have another dealership in Langley BC. I visited the Langley location but was put off by the salesman so I went elsewhere. During my travels I visited Applewood in Surrey and was met by a a wonderful salesperson names 'Sandra D". She was friendly, helpful and did not pursue any hard sales tactics.
I did not have to hear any sob story about her boss not allowing any discounts but she agreed to the suggested discounts and allowances I wanted. In the end, I paid $500 less than what I wanted to pay. I even did not have to listen to the "after sale" sales pitch to buy extras such as undercoating, extended insurance and warranty.
My whole experience with Sandra D at Applewood Surrey was pleasant. If anyone considers Applewood Surrey for a purchase - deal with Sandra D.:)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I posted this in soul problems but I thought I sould here as well (this issue was with the Owen Sound dealer)

Cost per VIN

So Ive been having issues with my paint and I figured Id take it in to get checked out. (note:I got my car in a different city then where I need to get it serviced for financial reasons.)

Well at first the guy was trying to blame me for the problems but in the end he said KIA canada has to make the dcision for paint, so I asked him to send them anyways.

Next thing you know the sales manager who gave me a test drive comes out and starts to get all pissy with me. He said "you cant buy the car here but you want warrenty service here" then I explained I had no choice and he says "well you have time to buy ur car in toronto why cant you get it serviced there?"
...anyways I kept my cool and said i just wanted them to send the pics to kia, next thing you know the teck came out and tells me (after already taking the pics) that his boss wont let him send the pic to kia because it will affect his cost per VIN. He explained that this is a rating that dealers get for warrenty service done per car.

I asked the owner to put this in writing because I expect service from any kia dealer and he refused. I told him id go to the media (which I might) and he threatend me that he would send me a letter that i was not alowed on his property. I said I would love for him to do that (as it would help my case) and he told me to "screw off buddy" and hung up the phone.

I called kia canada and at first they told me he put a note on the system that its not a warrenty issue and that the dealers word was final. Well i finally got a manager and explained the situation (which she was shocked about). Obviously if its not under warranty then kia would deny it and there would be no Cost per VIN issues, so the owner telling me that it would affect his cost per VIN just verifies that it IS a warrenty issue and he does not want the repairs (which are very expensive) to affect his rating.

Kia has escolated the issue and I will be having my car checked out in toronto (need to take a day off).

Now no matter what happens, I cannot trust going back to that location and Im without a place locally that I can get work done.

Question: What is required for a warrenty claim on the paint. If you look at any one issue you could blame me but there are soo many issues (scratches, chips, swirls)that it just seems cheap. For example, under my door handles there are tonnes of scratches from my finger nails.

Anyways, I just wanted to put my situation out there and get some feedback from my fellow "soul"mates.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Scarboro Kia!

Bought our Soul from Rob at Scarboro Kia, and it was an easy, excellent experience! Pleasure to deal with.

We'll be doing our servicing in the Ottawa area, though, and curious to hear about experiences in that area.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do not get servicing at Bank Street Kia. They have an F at the better business bureau and I'm taking them to small claims court based on my experience purchasing the car. I have taken my Soul to Kia 417 twice so far - once to fix faulty locks and once for an oil change and I am happy with them. They will be doing all of my servicing and seem happy to have my business.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I bought my kia 1 year ago at Dixie Kia in Mississauga. I would not recommend purchasing there. I drove off in my new car in tears that's how bad my experience was.

Throughout the buying process there were a number of error like:

- trying to sell me features on models that don't come with those features. (Luckily I had done a lot of research before hand)

-Telling me I could get any colour, no problem, then coming back to me after I spent over a half hour choosing, and telling me I actually couldn't get that colour unless I wanted to wait 6+ weeks.

-waiting until the day before I was supposed to pick up my car and telling me I needed to give them my papers for my plates. I was at work, no way to get those to them. Forced to purchase new plates.

- And the one that had me crying, the morning I went to pick up my car, all papers are signed, I'm IN my new car, setting up the bluetooth, salesman comes out and informs me they screwed up on what they had said they could give me on a trade in so I owe $2000 more!! I didn't pay it all, but I did give them some more money. To this day I am so angry at myself for not walking away from the deal. I was distraught and upset though and not thinking clearly. I feel like i was taken advantage of, especially because it was their error.

- Oh and after all of that, they had to call me back to the dealership because they forgot to have me sign the final paperwork with the adjustment on it.

I have a lot of anger towards this dealership. The customer service manager assured me that this was isolated to an experience with a particular salesman and he would be dealt with, but a year later and I am still bitter about this experience, the salesman being "dealt" with, doesn't get my money back.

I hope maybe others have had better experiences than I did here.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts