Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first one in Canada, 2012-2016 MY Kia Souls listed.

Class Action info:

https://www.merchantlaw.com/class-actions/recent-updates/hyundai-kia

CBC Go Public 27/03:

'Companies knew they had a big problem': Kia, Hyundai owners say they were knowingly sold defective vehicles

excerpt from the article:

In a lawsuit filed this week, Hyundai and Kia are accused of intentionally concealing the defect from buyers of vehicles with Theta, Nu, and Gamma engines.

A Go Public investigation revealed concerns about Hyundai and Kia engines failing at high speeds or spontaneously bursting into flames — putting some drivers and their passengers into life-threatening situations and leaving others with thousands in repair bills.

Consumer and safety advocates have criticized the South Korean automakers for taking too long to issue recalls of too few models with the Theta-family engines. The recalls started in 2015 and are still rolling out.

"Their difficulty is that they can't fix the problem. They don't know what to do about the problem. So a recall where there's no fix is really no recall at all," Merchant said.

Go Public asked Hyundai if it had a fix for the engine problems, but it didn't respond to that question directly.

Merchant says the proposed class-action suit involves 37 Hyundai and Kia owners, and seven different models ranging in years from 2011-16 — but he expects the number of drivers and vehicles involved to grow once word gets out about the lawsuit.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,587 Posts
Good legwork OJ.

I wonder if this is tied to the high pressure GDI fuel pump issue. It seems like it's plausible the fuel pump kept leaking over the hot engine in the driveway video.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,587 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Depreciation

This section of the CBC report really stands out to me :blue: It seems obviously true regarding the depreciation of affect Kia models!

"For the vast majority of people, they're not going to have a safety problem. And many of them are going to be compelled to continue to operate these vehicles because they can't afford the hit of getting rid of them. So they're entitled to financial compensation that flows from having a vehicle that's significantly depreciated," Merchant says.

Hyundai Auto Canada, Kia Canada and Kia Motors America all told Go Public they do not comment on any current or pending litigation.CBC"

"The legal action is also looking for compensation for owners with the problematic engines who haven't had failures or fires, but are facing a loss in vehicle value."

·
Registered
23 Posts
Depreciation

This section of the CBC report really stands out to me :blue: It seems obviously true regarding the depreciation of affect Kia models!

"For the vast majority of people, they're not going to have a safety problem. And many of them are going to be compelled to continue to operate these vehicles because they can't afford the hit of getting rid of them. So they're entitled to financial compensation that flows from having a vehicle that's significantly depreciated," Merchant says.

Hyundai Auto Canada, Kia Canada and Kia Motors America all told Go Public they do not comment on any current or pending litigation.CBC"

"The legal action is also looking for compensation for owners with the problematic engines who haven't had failures or fires, but are facing a loss in vehicle value."
This issue isn't limited to those engines and there will be a subsequent class action suit coming regarding KIA/Hyundai Canada's dishonesty and cover up of this issue.

Posting in all relevant threads:

First off, I will say that I fully understand and can deal with engine/recall issues. Sometimes mistakes happen and manufacturing tolerances are not met. Life happens...but be transparent about it and own your mistakes...something KIA/Hyundai has shown an unwillingness to demonstrate.

KIA Canada has been blatantly lying and hiding this recall....and I can prove it. Discussing a class action suit as we speak.

Blew the engine in our '16 last year and were told that there were "no issues that they were aware of." Funny that Transport Canada opened the investigation into this issue 6 months prior to my engine blowing.

Lie. Deny. Lie. Deny. This seems to be their sole business model.

I have already spoken with Transport Canada multiple times and they are fully aware and monitoring. New legislation passed last year actually finally gives them some power to hold manufacturers accountable. We'll see if they get anywhere.

Are you aware that Hyundai/KIA USA was fined $137M by the NHTSA for covering up this exact issue in the US? That isn't the class action suit (it is $760M!!!...and they are being criminally investigated).that is the fine for lying to owners.

There will eventually be a class action suit here in Canada that will cover all owners of this engine type addressing the depreciation and repairs that are required.

KIA Canada is a complete joke and after pretending they would do the right thing have gone completely silent. I am awaiting further conversation with Transport Canada and the legal team pursuing this matter.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Should have kept my '76 (or was it '75) Pinto Wagon! Just needed to protect the gas tank (pillows)! 😁

1 - 7 of 7 Posts