Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

Can the internal storage on the head unit be upgraded?

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Big_Mike 
#1 ·
My 2018's on board storage for storing "My Music" on the head unit provides about 4gb currently. Is there any possible way to increase this amount? I don't know what kind of internal hardware it uses for storage. It might some proprietary memory or if I'm lucky it might be something I can swap out. Does anybody know if this is possible at all?
Thanks!

#3 · (Edited)
I've never been able to find any way to do that either.

Shaggys idea is best. I bought a 64gig teeny tiny flat Verbatim drive and just leave it plugged in all the time.

I use the onboard drive as my current favorite music playlist.

Reactions: Buzz
#4 ·
Hmmmm... I might just have to take the head unit out and examine it myself.

I suppose using the on board storage for my most listened-to tracks and having additional music on USB is the best I can do for now. At least I can delete stuff from the on board storage and put transfer other tracks onto it from the USB at any time.

Well, I guess it didn't hurt to ask. Thanks, guys.

#6 ·
I thought the USB port was for music & didn't charge devices.

#7 ·
I don't put rechargeable things into the interface USB. It will recharge some things but very, very slowly. I put a dual USB plug into my 180W 12V socket. I also use the USB recharging port that is in the console but also have the 12V port at the base of the console in the back of the console for the rear passengers if I need more ports.

#10 ·
If the stupid radio would play HE-AAC compressed files, that 4gb would be a lot of music. Since it only handles mp3, it would be less than a third of my regular load. Using a USB drive right now, but if you take yours apart and find a possible upgrade path, I would be very interested! 32gb onboard would be plenty for me with mp3 @192kbps, think I just loaded around 17gb which was most of my library.

#12 ·
Vertigo, not to hijack the thread, but do you have the non-uvo head unit with with the smaller screen and backup camera? I'm trying to figure out the part number for factory wire for the backup camera. PM me if possible. Thanks in advance

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.