Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my local Kia dealership for my first oil change and I asked for a tire rotation. The guys says to me: "Ok, just so you know that will cost $99.95". I'm thinking to myself: Wow, that's the most expensive oil change and tire rotation I've ever heard of. I agree to the cost (because what else am I supposed to do?) and I had to wait for about an 1 hour and 20 minutes for them to do it (I had a scheduled appointment). So while I'm waiting there I'm going online and searching their dealer website. They don't list the pricing for anything. I checked for coupons for oil changes/tire rotations they had none. I started to read all the Kia maintenance suggestions on their dealership website and what is included in their oil change.

After reading all that information I was even more confused. What's the difference between their maintenance service and an oil change? Because as I'm reading what is included in their oil change service, it literally states that they check a bunch of potential issues with your car with every oil change. Is their "maintenance" service just a way to charge more money? I looked at the bill before paying and it looks like he gave me a "maintenance" service and that's why I was being charged that much. He gave me $10 off the total cost (I didn't complain, he just said I qualified for a discount). So I paid $89.99. I guess I can't complain too much because that's the first maintenance that I've done and they did wash my car for free. I thought that was nice of them to do that. I was just sort of confused what their maintenance service is adding besides what they normally do when checking the car during an oil change. They did tell me how much brakes I had left before they need to be replaced.

I checked on another local Kia dealer's website and they list their oil change and tire rotation cost. It says $37.99 for an oil change and $19.99 for a tire rotation.

·
Registered
2014 1.6l manual
156 Posts
I went to my local Kia dealership for my first oil change and I asked for a tire rotation. The guys says to me: "Ok, just so you know that will cost $99.95". I'm thinking to myself: Wow, that's the most expensive oil change and tire rotation I've ever heard of....

They did tell me how much brakes I had left before they need to be replaced....
Wow.

I haven't had any routine maintenance done at the KIA dealer, but have had recall done and each time they've done a Vehicle Inspection (or a Muti-point Inspection) where they check fluid levels, tire tread depth (measured), brake pads (measurement), etc.

Maybe their "Maintenance Service" is something else. If not, and it is just a vehicle inspection then seems to me that should be included for free.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Time to start visiting that other local Kia dealership. Oil change (non-synthetic) and tire rotation should not cost more than about $40-$45 at a dealer. With synth, maybe add $20. Our local Kia has coupons in the paper occasionally for $34.95 (oil/filter change and tire rotation).

They usually check all the things on regular oil changes for free that they do on paid "Scheduled Inspections". It's a chance for them to find something else to "$$fix$$" .

Sorry you got hosed. They are the losers, though, since they hopefully lost all of your future business.

·
Registered
181 Posts
What kind of oil did they use? Semi-synthetic I suspect. I buy my own oil, Pennsoil Platium and Kia filter, take it to my place of choice and they change it for $20. Still, it costs between 45-50, depending on whether I got the oil on sale. However, my Kia is second owner so there are no warranties on it. Might make a diff if it were.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yikes. Total ripoff, and zero transparency. I definitely wouldn't return.

And I wouldn't run conventional oil, or "semi-synthetic", in a tiny, turbocharged, direct-injected motor. Why Kia/Hyundai doesn't spec synthetic oil for this motor makes zero sense. Run a quality oil like Mobil 1 5W-30 and change it every 5k - 7.5k miles.

BTW, "semi-synthetic" oils can be as little as 10% synthetic. Total joke. Avoid that stuff. Walmart is the best place to get quality oils on the cheap, particularly Mobil 1, which they sell by the 5-quart jug for dirt cheap.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,407 Posts
If they used Synthetic, and rotated tires, that isn't "terrible."

I got a deal when I bought my car for $24.99 oil changes & filter, but I heard they have increased that to $39.99 (Kia Bulk Oil).

Usually the Multi-Point Inspection is free....that's where they tell you if you need something fixed and usually tire and brake wear.

I always rotate the tires myself, since they ALWAYS mis-torque the wheels and I end up re-doing it anyway.

·
Registered
2015 Base AT (1.6) Dirty Asphalt color ("titanium")
663 Posts
Ouch. At my dealer, on sale, it's $25 for an oil change (regular oil). Close to twice that, at regular price. They'll look the car over for other things to fix (at added cost), same as pretty much any other shop that has a mechanic. I'm not sure what they charge to rotate, but Midas (also about $25, with coupon) will rotate your tires for free with your oil change. I watch for the sales and try to do one oil change per year at the dealer.

Some of the coupon deals from other vendors (CarX, transmission shops) are the same. If you buy tires at Discount Tire, they'll rotate (and fix flats) for free, but I've got another year left in the OEM tires on my Soul, so I'm not there yet with this car.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I'll try checking my bill later to see exactly what it says again. I only have 38,300 miles on the car (it was certified pre-owned) so I'm not sure if that would change their strategy on using a regular oil vs synthetic. The sticker that they put on the inside of my car says that I should get another oil change in under 4,000 miles. I don't follow that of course. I usually do 5,000. But if they gave me synthetic I'd probably go a bit longer than that since I know the manual says 7,500 (I wouldn't try going that long on regular oil).

Time to start visiting that other local Kia dealership. Oil change (non-synthetic) and tire rotation should not cost more than about $40-$45 at a dealer. With synth, maybe add $20. Our local Kia has coupons in the paper occasionally for $34.95 (oil/filter change and tire rotation).

They usually check all the things on regular oil changes for free that they do on paid "Scheduled Inspections". It's a chance for them to find something else to "$$fix$$" .

Sorry you got hosed. They are the losers, though, since they hopefully lost all of your future business.
Absolutely, as soon as I left I was like: "Never coming back to this dealership ever again!"

I love this :run:
I had to schedule my oil change 6 days in advance. If I left I'd have to schedule an oil change at the other dealer and probably deal with a similar time frame. I REALLY needed an oil change. My MPG was taking a hit. My car was saying 21 MPG. I kept on noticing my car getting decreased MPG performance. My car currently says 24 MPG which seems normal from what I've seen with my car. I do mostly city driving and rarely high way driving.

I had a feeling I was getting fleeced. But there's two kinds of people I'm not going to offend in this world before getting service. Don't offend your car mechanic and don't be a jerk to the person cooking your food.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cooking, you have someone cooking your food?
Usually when I go to a restaurant someone cooks my food. Or I hope so anyways. I don't want raw chicken on my plate... or worse (bring your mind to the worst imaginable ideas). Sometimes I wish I could be Bugs Bunny and just eat raw carrots for a living. It would make my life a lot more simple. :joyous:

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Rule of thumb: Warranty work - dealership, service - literally anyone else. If you like it to be even simpler, prepare to pay double or triple.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I went to my local Kia dealership for my first oil change and I asked for a tire rotation. The guys says to me: "Ok, just so you know that will cost $99.95". I'm thinking to myself: Wow, that's the most expensive oil change and tire rotation I've ever heard of. I agree to the cost (because what else am I supposed to do?) and I had to wait for about an 1 hour and 20 minutes for them to do it (I had a scheduled appointment). So while I'm waiting there I'm going online and searching their dealer website. They don't list the pricing for anything. I checked for coupons for oil changes/tire rotations they had none. I started to read all the Kia maintenance suggestions on their dealership website and what is included in their oil change.

After reading all that information I was even more confused. What's the difference between their maintenance service and an oil change? Because as I'm reading what is included in their oil change service, it literally states that they check a bunch of potential issues with your car with every oil change. Is their "maintenance" service just a way to charge more money? I looked at the bill before paying and it looks like he gave me a "maintenance" service and that's why I was being charged that much. He gave me $10 off the total cost (I didn't complain, he just said I qualified for a discount). So I paid $89.99. I guess I can't complain too much because that's the first maintenance that I've done and they did wash my car for free. I thought that was nice of them to do that. I was just sort of confused what their maintenance service is adding besides what they normally do when checking the car during an oil change. They did tell me how much brakes I had left before they need to be replaced.

I checked on another local Kia dealer's website and they list their oil change and tire rotation cost. It says $37.99 for an oil change and $19.99 for a tire rotation.
Is this your first new car? Sounds like it if so I can understand your situation. But... However.... when you say what else can I do, there are soo many good answers for that. The quickest most simple one is just don't have them do the service till you understand what they are going to do and are comfortable with it and the cost.

1. No need for a tire rotation, unless you waited around 7,000 miles to change the oil the first time. But that was your decision so not the dealer. Be aware two places I know of (there very likely are more) will rotate your tires for no extra charge with an oil change. Midas and Pep Boys. Both here charge just slightly more than some other oil change places but if you are getting the tires rotated they are quite alot less.

2. As others have said if you got a synthetic oil change, along with them charging for a tire rotation, that $99 isn't way out of line. $19.99 is a general going rate to rotate, around $65 to $75 or so is normal for synthetic at least where I live.

3. You don't need to use a dealer to change the oil. My dealer charges decent prices but they are old school and you need an appointment so I don't use them.

4. It seems like to me they did not charge for the maintenance service if you got a synthetic oil change So if you did they did not grossly overcharge you. If it was a regular oil change or even blended, I do think they charged alot.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Some dealers, like Honda in my area, use Semi-synthetic. You pay extra for Synthetic. Not sure about KIA, but wouldn't be surprised if they arn't doing the same.

Reactions: Buzz

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Ok so I have the bill in front of me now. This is what it says:

Perform 7,500 mile service: Change Oil and filter, check and top fluids, rotate tires and set tire pressure, inspect brake system, clean, lube and adjust brakes. Check belts and hoses. Test battery and perform vehicle inspections.
Filter ASSY Engine O - (I guess that's the oil filter) = $6.59
5W30 Oil - (just seems like regular motor oil) = $11.00.
Gasket Oil Plug = $1.00
Labor = $79.00

So the parts total is $11 + 6.59 + 1 = $18.50 + $79.00 = $97.50 - $10 discount = $87.50

They list the amount of brakes I have left, the amount of tread that I have left, and an inspection check list. I'm just wondering if they fleeced me good or is this normal. Do you guys get these services included in just a regular oil change at a Kia dealership?

·
Registered
599 Posts
Do you guys get these services included in just a regular oil change at a Kia dealership?
Most of the time, yes. Sorry. Regular oil/filter, tire rotation, and 30 point inspection is on sale at my local Kia for $34.95 almost every other month.

In fact, here is one for $24.95 just a half hour away from me: https://www.freedomkiaofclarksburg.com/service-parts-specials.html (The Essentials coupon)

Time to check out your other local Kia, or find a good private mechanic.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Ok so I have the bill in front of me now. This is what it says:

Perform 7,500 mile service: Change Oil and filter, check and top fluids, rotate tires and set tire pressure, inspect brake system, clean, lube and adjust brakes. Check belts and hoses. Test battery and perform vehicle inspections.
Filter ASSY Engine O - (I guess that's the oil filter) = $6.59
5W30 Oil - (just seems like regular motor oil) = $11.00.
Gasket Oil Plug = $1.00
Labor = $79.00

So the parts total is $11 + 6.59 + 1 = $18.50 + $79.00 = $97.50 - $10 discount = $87.50

They list the amount of brakes I have left, the amount of tread that I have left, and an inspection check list. I'm just wondering if they fleeced me good or is this normal. Do you guys get these services included in just a regular oil change at a Kia dealership?
I would say not quite as much as it first appeared. It appears they charged about $60 labor and $18.50 for the oil change, $78.50. That should have been closer to $40 at a dealer. With the tire rotation a total of about $60. All the other stuff is free just about anywhere.
If it makes you feel a little better, since you waited till 7,500 for the first oil change the tires were indeed due to be rotated so that was not a wasted cost and that price was pretty much the going rate. Overall I would say generally you paid about $25 more than I would expect with that $10 discount.

As I mentioned there are places that will do the oil change closer to $35, maybe $40 but do the tire rotation for free.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I would say not quite as much as it first appeared. It appears they charged about $60 labor and $18.50 for the oil change, $78.50. That should have been closer to $40 at a dealer. With the tire rotation a total of about $60. All the other stuff is free just about anywhere.
If it makes you feel a little better, since you waited till 7,500 for the first oil change the tires were indeed due to be rotated so that was not a wasted cost and that price was pretty much the going rate. Overall I would say generally you paid about $25 more than I would expect with that $10 discount.

As I mentioned there are places that will do the oil change closer to $35, maybe $40 but do the tire rotation for free.
I would rather go to a dealership to get my oil changed because I feel more comfortable with them dealing with my car. The guys working at those oil change places are absolutely miserable and will have no issue ruining something in your vehicle to make themselves happy. Also my car is certified pre-owned and has about 38,000 miles on it. I'm not sure why they called it a "7,500 mile service" but I guess the service maintenance before the 45,000 mile mark is similar to the maintenance they do on a car with 7,500 miles. That's what it seemed like when I read the manual. At 45,000 miles other things most likely have to be changed around that period of time (brakes, other fluids in the vehicle, etc).

I was under the impression that my car needs to be serviced at Kia dealerships for the certified pre-owned warranty to be honored. I'd certainly try the other Kia dealership near me next time to see the difference in pricing. I don't put many miles on per year. Like literally 6,000 miles per year. Hopefully I can sell it before I need to get the tires replaced.... I should have several more years of use out of the car basically.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
I would rather go to a dealership to get my oil changed because I feel more comfortable with them dealing with my car. The guys working at those oil change places are absolutely miserable and will have no issue ruining something in your vehicle to make themselves happy. Also my car is certified pre-owned and has about 38,000 miles on it. I'm not sure why they called it a "7,500 mile service" but I guess the service maintenance before the 45,000 mile mark is similar to the maintenance they do on a car with 7,500 miles. That's what it seemed like when I read the manual. At 45,000 miles other things most likely have to be changed around that period of time (brakes, other fluids in the vehicle, etc).

I was under the impression that my car needs to be serviced at Kia dealerships for the certified pre-owned warranty to be honored. I'd certainly try the other Kia dealership near me next time to see the difference in pricing. I don't put many miles on per year. Like literally 6,000 miles per year. Hopefully I can sell it before I need to get the tires replaced.... I should have several more years of use out of the car basically.
you need to read your manual are warranty book in more detail. Follow the maintenance section of you owners manual with regards service, just determine where you live and use the vehicle whether you come under the normal or severe use (it lists all the requirements for severe usage). You can get your regular maintenance anywhere you want, just make sure you have a proven record (keep the receipts) that the service interval has been met.

I have all my services done at my local Kia dealer and have done since buying my first Kia in November 2007. They are very good and reasonable and treat me well, every 5th oil change is free. They sometimes suggest things over and above the regular maintenance and leave it up to me whether to get it done or not - no pressure. I just take a printed copy (keeps my book clean) of the specific maintenance I'm having done so that I can refer to it with regards any changes.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts