Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for those of you who are Mechanically Inclined.

I just recently purchased a pair of Red Caliper Covers.
They require to be glued on to the Calipers.
My question is, will this impede any brake servicing in the future?
Will these be in the way for replacing brake pads, rotors and such?
Sorry, I took Architectural Desing for shops in High School instead of Auto Mechanics.

Here's a picture (which I am linking straight from the seller's eBay posting). Hope it doesn't disappear on me.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
They specify trimming the covers to fit..... so if they require further trimming to allow the old and new pads to slip in or out - i dont see that as a problem..... you just may get charged a bit extra on the first brake reline to do this. I personally would trim them well clear anyway to allow air to circulate freely.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks tempest.

Does anyone here have these or similar covers on their calipers?
How is the clearing on the front rims? They say you need about 1". I think I have less than that from glancing at it.

May have to shave a bit more off to make a perfect fit.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Something you may need to consider is to trim them with your winter wheels on..... that way they will definately fit with the 18s on.

·
Registered
690 Posts
you just can't leave your Soul alone :D

its a plastic cap that glue on to rather uneven caliper surface. I don't see how it will stay one with heat/weather buildup. It may even reduce the braking because it is blocking part of the air flow need for cooling. IMO, its too "much", you may just want to paint the caliper and stick on Brembo letter on the side. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts

its a plastic cap that glue on to rather uneven caliper surface. I don't see how it will stay one with heat/weather buildup. It may even reduce the braking because it is blocking part of the air flow need for cooling. IMO, its too "much", you may just want to paint the caliper and stick on Brembo letter on the side. Just my 2 cents.
Dead right there!!!....Its the BMW "long bonnet" syndrome all over again!!!.... poor guy just has to fiddle.....lol

·
Registered
126 Posts

I'll have to agree with the painting the caliper instead.

Alleviates the hassle should one become unglued, falling off, getting jammed somewhere in the wheel and busting something on the way out.

I'm thinking of painting my calipers myself, however my problem is choosing a color.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry Tempest...Good point about the winter wheels. I hadn't seen your message. First one I saw was Homers... !

Hey, the Soul is a canvas just waiting to be painted and I will paint as much as I would like. It's my Canvas and I shall stop only when I am satisfied. :)

The resin/glue used is very high temperature glue so it won't come off that way. Painting them..been there, done that on my previous car and it looks good for about 1 year then it gets dirty and fades real fast (Caliper paint was used) and to keep it looking new and shiny, you must paint it every year. These will keep their colour for a long time, I will NOT glue them to the actual caliper because the calipers actual move in and out all the time. I will glue them to the bottom rigid piece that NEVER moves.
These will actually prevent rusting of the calipers and will prevent brake dust from flying all over the place and these will more less prolong the life of my OEM calipers.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
g man has them on his Soul: That will make two of us :)

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The only thing is that g man has different rims on. The OEM rims I have may not allow to place the covers on the front calipers. The instructions specify to have at least 1" spacing between the rim and the caliper, which I don't have.

Will see how it turns out this Saturday.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
I think these covers will work better on some vehicles than others. Ignoring clearance (although it's obviously important) the major consideration is serviceability. Looking at pictures and this parts diagram I just get the impression that good attachment might create issues when a pad change is required due to the design of the Kia calipers.

FRONT

REAR

Here's PinballNinja's painted calipers.

http://www.kiasoulforums.com/28-aftermarket-modifications/829-red-brake-calipers-2.html

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I may end up drilling a couple holes in the covers and tapping into the rigid (bottom part) of the caliper to allow easy removal in case of servicing the brakes.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts