Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been surfing around, looking for different after-factory options for my 2011 +, and I've seen a few different Hood Scoops that I thought would look really good. I was going to get one just for the aesthetics, but now I've been reading about Cold Air Intakes. I'm thinking it would be a great idea to modify a CAI, and the hood under the scoop so the filter fits up through the hood into the scoop. Lots of fresh air there!! Has anyone tried something like this yet?:think

·
Registered
12 Posts
From experience on other cars you will get rain water in your filter and then the engine, plus being on top of the engine will also get heat soak.

Best place for a CAI is the inner wing of a car, so its out of the engine bay but then its all personal choice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the Info

Thanks Tonyc!

That's exactly the kind of input I was looking for. I wasn't sure about rain water. I had planned to face the open side of the scoop to the rear (Trans Am Style), but unless I had a body shop fabricate some kind of riser around the opening in the hood, I'm sure there is a good chance that water would get into the opening.

I have never heard of "Heat Soak" on the other hand. I'll have to look into what the heck that is.

The CAI's I've seen for the Soul place the filter right behind the Driver's Side Fog Lamp, so I was trying to use form and function to get a better look, and better performance.

Thanks Again!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
i say go for the scoop, but make it a true scoop and not just a "i glued this cool looking non-fuctioning scoop on my hood" If you make it a true scoop, make sure you put a screen in the scoop to keep larger items out of your engine bay, i.e. birds, bugs, rocks, ect. from there run your CAI/Ram air like it would be with out the scoop. Depending on the cai, a scoop may be useless anyway cause they usually run under the front left fender. But most ram air intakes would feel the effects of a true scoop, and over all a true scoop will keep you under the hood temps slightly lower than with out.

·
Registered
12 Posts
From experience with true performance cars i have found through testing that a uprated panel filter to be enough on a mildly tuned car, i used to run 400bhp before i even had to look at CAI, and even then i did it because it made other mods easier in the engine bay.

i did a test on a normally aspirated subaru impreza 2ltr and found that the mods i could gain from a CAI was 5bhp but when combined with a decat exhaust system it made 150bhp which is great from the standard 125bhp. So really it all depends on which route you wish to take.

In the uk we only get 2 models both are 1600cc either petrol or diesel, doing my research i have found that the diesel tunes so much better than the petrol and for less money.

I guess your have the bigger 2ltr petrol to play with as well :D:D

·
Registered
48 Posts
deisel always tunes better than Petrol "gas" because anything you do to improve the air induction, as well as fuel, improves performance 10 fold. a simple exhaust, intake, and larger injectors, could land you in gains as high as 75 to 80 HP and 100ish TQ (estimate) diesel is by far the best engine invented, i wish they had the diesel version here in the USA, i may break down and buy a diesel in the UK and have it shipped to the US.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts