Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me what would be better for protecting the front of my car ? I'm thinking the black bra cuz it covers more space. :confused:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I was wanting to protect my car to, from stone chips. I was going to get the plastic bra but decided not to. I got the "clearbra" or protective film instead. (Thanks Tempest). I have it on my hood ,front bumper and lower doors. I am very very happy with it. You can not even tell that it is there. It covers more of the car then the bra will ( I drive on gravel for 2 miles ) to my house. It was way more expensive then just the black bra but WAY worth the money !!!!
Naturegirl

·
Banned
1,609 Posts
I bought the Kia bra. I prefer that over the clear one, but it's just a matter of personal preference. You certainly can't go wrong with the clear bra.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had a bra for my last car and wasn't happy with it. Yes, it protects from stone chips, but dirt also tends to become lodged under the edges which scratches the paint anyway. Plus the paint doesn't fade evenly since the paint under the bra isn't exposed to the sun.

You can wash your car and apply a light coat of wax to help protect the paint under the bra from scratching.

I've never tried a clear bra but hope to in the near future. We also have a bug deflector that helps.

·
Banned
1,609 Posts
I had a Nissan Z car for more years than I can count. I had a bra on it basically every day of its life. Not one single scratch from the bra, and not uneven fading of paint. My Corolla never got scratched (had it for 7 years), my Intrigue had no scratches after a number of years. In fact, no issues at all.

I'm not sure where the "bra scratches paint" idea came from, but I know dozens of car afficionados that have used bras for decades, and not a single one has ever seen scratching from them. Not one.

The bug deflector is fine, but doesn't help the front bumper. The clear bra can be used to protect everything.

Let me make a note here...a few weeks ago I hit a retread on the highway. The bra prevented the paint from getting any damage at all. A clear bra would not have done this.

That being said, if you think the rather high cost of a clear bra is worth the protection it provides, you really can't go wrong. They aren't cheap though. The lowest I found was about 400 dollars and some change. But again...if you take away the price, it is overall the best option.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm not sure where the "bra scratches paint" idea came from, but I know dozens of car afficionados that have used bras for decades, and not a single one has ever seen scratching from them. Not one.
Not an idea, it came from experience. And my husband is a 'car afficionado.'

When dirt and grit works its way under the edges it rubs the paint when you're driving, nothing mystifying about that. I'd think that either you got lucky or you're not as picky as my husband is. As for fading, that could depend on the color of the car. My car was bright red and there was obvious uneven fading that my husband had to buff out.

Then again I also didn't own either of the cars you had, maybe the factory paint on some makes/models is better than on others.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Ditto, I had a bra on my Subaru and it rubbed the snot out of the paint. After only a month, it was to the point where I couldn't take the bra off or everybody would say " did you have a bra on there?" Every car expert I've ever spoken with said to never go with the big black bra.

I got clear bra on the soul. Love it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
"...never go with the big black bra..."

:) I won't even go there!
haha, too funny!

The other difference between my experience and yours might be climate. In the winter here they put down a lot of sand for slippery roads (salt too). Maybe they don't do that where you are? Not even sure what a Texas winter looks like. :)

·
Banned
1,609 Posts
A texas winter is about 4 hours long. A particularly brutal winter may last the better part of a day and into the following morning.

Makes me shiver just thinking about it. :)

In all seriousness, it's basically HOT about 10 months of the year, with maybe a couple of weeks of cold and maybe 6 weeks of mild weather. Not a joke. It's hot starting in March and doesn't cool off until maybe around Thanksgiving. I actually went swimming during each of the last three Thanksgiving days, as temps were in the 90s.

Texas weather sucks!

·
Registered
211 Posts
A texas winter is about 4 hours long. A particularly brutal winter may last the better part of a day and into the following morning.

Makes me shiver just thinking about it. :)

In all seriousness, it's basically HOT about 10 months of the year, with maybe a couple of weeks of cold and maybe 6 weeks of mild weather. Not a joke. It's hot starting in March and doesn't cool off until maybe around Thanksgiving. I actually went swimming during each of the last three Thanksgiving days, as temps were in the 90s.

Texas weather sucks!
I dunno, that sounds better than a Canadian winter to me! :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts