Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a2010 Soul,White.I am very fussy about a clean car.Started 2 give it a spring cleaning and i discovered it was cover with little brown spots, front 2 back,and its a son of abiscuit 2 get off.The dealer says its from the brakes,anybody else having this problem?

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
have a search on here about "rail dust".... then remove the spots with clay bar and wax the car thoroughly after.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I agree. Cars from Korea typically have alot of rail dust from the shipping process.

Mine was pretty bad when it was brand new, but a good claybar and wax afterwards took care of it very well. Be sure to wash it with DAWN dishsoap first, this gets rid of any wax that may be on it. Don't use it again though, unless you want to strip the wax again.

·
Banned
1,576 Posts
I agree. Cars from Korea typically have alot of rail dust from the shipping process.

Mine was pretty bad when it was brand new, but a good claybar and wax afterwards took care of it very well. Be sure to wash it with DAWN dishsoap first, this gets rid of any wax that may be on it. Don't use it again though, unless you want to strip the wax again.
Does DAWN really work ? I had heard it required mineral spirits - but DAWN sure is a lot cheaper and stinks less.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have exactly the same problem as your. Brake dust who get in contact with the paint and the rust appear.

I remove the rust on the paint with a product called "bug and tar remover". It works well.

Robert
4U SX polar

·
Registered
108 Posts
Brake dust and rail dust are 2 seperate issues. (Although both can be removed with claybarring).

Rail dust is literally tiny fragments from the railroads as many cars are shipped to the docks by rail. These particles become embedded in the paint and make the surface feel rough.

Dawn works fine to get rid of any wax that may be on your car, you will need to re wax anyways. Claybarring is very easy, just follow the directions and do it in the shade, and keep the area working on wet. There's lots of good ifo and video clips on the net discussing claybarring.
You will see the clay bar become a reddish brown if it is indeed the rail dust, and I bet that it is. Once you are done, give it a good wax and your car will be better than new.

It's quality time with your car and very relaxing.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have the same issue. Dealership said try buff and wax - got a friend who can do it. I'll let you know if that works.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Brown Spots

Thanks everyone,I found awhipping boy,2 clean spots.
BELIEVE IT OR NOT,the DEALER is going 2 do it.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
Good. If the car is brand spanking new - the dealer should have done it in the first place.

·
Registered
93 Posts
where do you get a claybar from? And are they easy to use? Do you have to use wax afterwards?

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
Claybars can be purchased from Canadian Tire, Walmart or most places that sell car polishes/waxes and such. You don't have to wax after but if you are at it, wax...it never hurts.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Yesterday, I went to my NAPA body pro dealer. They recommended me a Liquid fall out remover:

It removes rust particles on paint surfaces.

I'll try it this week.....when I'll get time to do it !!

Robert
4U SX Polar (with dust brake particles)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts