Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all
Since I don't own a VW any more, I don't pop the hood too often. I did open it up to see what was doing and noticed my drive belt is semi-brown. Is this normal? 2012. 55K miles. No cracks but its not black like drive belts typically are. Thanks

·
Registered
564 Posts
It was all black. Since the wear, it has changed color.....
As you say it's not cracked on EITHER side, your fine.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Greetings all
Since I don't own a VW any more, I don't pop the hood too often. I did open it up to see what was doing and noticed my drive belt is semi-brown. Is this normal? 2012. 55K miles. No cracks but its not black like drive belts typically are. Thanks
Not at all uncommon for many cars; some will "static cling" rust dust coming off various components (tensioners, pulleys, you name it)...perfectly normal.
Greg

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Well, it's dark outside and getting chilly, but I still went out to check my own serpentine belt, with a bright flash light in hand.

It's NOT BLACK! Not sure it ever was, , , it's Dark Brown!

In the picture above, the brown belt looks like something has been wearing against it. Because, it's not exactly the same color all the way across. Mine doesn't look like that. Mine is exactly the same color and texture from one side to the other.

I think I'd get under the hood with a Bright Light and make sure there is nothing down in there rubbing against the belt.
I also think that there is at least one pulley that rides against that outside surface, and it could be failing in some respect.

At least, it's something to look at. And finding no obvious problem, , , Forgetaboutit! (N.Y. Slang)

Cheers Mates,
FL Hamster :cool:

PS: Some time ago, I took this picture of my own belt, to answer a question in another thread.

At 4.5 years and 54K miles, my serpentine belt still looks pretty much the same. But with the tensioner right up there where you can get at it, and so simple to loosen up the belt, you could loosen the belt, then check all the pulleys for problems and then just re-tension the belt.
It's also very easy to replace the belt. I did notice that the pulley right beneath the Alternator actually rides on the outside of the belt. That may be just an idler pulley. I've never really had any reason to scope it out, up close and personal. :)
But, idler pulley bearings are well known for failure. If that bearing was seized, it would gald against the belt and possibly leave a wear patters like what we see in that picture.
Not a diagnosis, but just a thought, and something more to check.

Good Luck,
FLHamster :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts