Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure what the part is identified as, but I am addressing the black plastic cover plate that goes just beneath the windshield wipers outside of the windshield and just above the rear edge of the hood. I started to use my wife's Kia Soul yesterday and noticed that there is a large chunk of that black plastic missing beside the driver's windshield wiper. I don't know how it happened or even when, but yesterday was the first time I had ever noticed the part being broken. There is like 4" of the plastic missing on that cover plate. We just recently had the car serviced at the Kia dealership and it has always had all required service done there. Surely they would have noticed it if it happened at that time. Any rate, I don't believe it was done by vandals or that anything fell onto it and broke it. In looking at the plastic and actually feeling it, I am thinking that the plate is made of a cheap quality plastic and gets rigid or brittle from setting out under the sun and UV light. Has anyone had a problem similar to this and what was the actual cause? We will call the Kia dealership to see if it is covered under warranty. I have no clue as to how and when it got broken though, other than my guess as to the above. This really caught me off guard, as the car has not really had any significant problems in the past and this was a first for us. Hopefully I can get a photo of the damaged part, but my computer is giving me fits at present, so no telling when I can get one downloaded to post and show the damage. Please let me know if anyone has had this problem before. I am hoping the Kia dealership does not play games with replacing this part under warranty.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Probably going to depend on miles since the car is not old enough yet to be out of warranty. It is odd, I have not heard or seen this on any car (other than my AMC Pacer and that was caused by a service tech). Good luck with it and let us know what happens.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'd love to blame it on a service tech, as the car was recently serviced at our Kia dealership, but we didn't see the broken part back then or immediately afterwards. It is at the lower portion of the plastic, so perhaps it has been broken since them, but we just didn't notice it until I got into the car yesterday. It is my wife's car, so I seldom drive it. When I do drive it, it is mostly at night, so I probably would not have seen it then, anyway.

I really wish I did know just how this happened, as it sure was unexpected. I have never seen such, either.

Thanks,
Huey

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
784 Posts
Usually called cowl cover or the cowl grille.

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
as far as I can remember - that's a first that I've seen reported for any year of Soul.

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
afterthought - if they were inferior made, you would think it would be common in Canada due to our extreme cold where it can become extremely brittle and contract if this was the case. Usually extreme heat make it softer and the material can expand and is less prone to cracking or breakage.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Took it to the dealer and he had never heard of such, but is going to try to speak to his rep and see if they can replace at no cost. Cowl was what he called it. Any rate, I didn't see it when they did the last 30,000 mile inspection, as it really does not show when your riding in the car and looking at it through the windshield. It shows dramatically once your standing just outside the door though. They well may have done it when the did the last maintenance, but I can't really prove that. It is not in an area that would commonly get a strike of any sort from debris or a rock/hail. I took pics, but I have not downloaded them. His guy won't be back until next week, so we shall see what we shall see, as to repair and warranty coverage. If he refuses to cover it, then I'll probably file a complaint to Kia about it. I don't know about Canadian cold, but the Texas heat down here can do a lot to just about anything that sits out in it. Our Kia Soul does just that, as the garage is loaded with other junk and the car is destined to sit outside in the weather all the time.

I had a Geo Metro convertible that had it's hood fly up on me one day. GM would only cover 1/2 of the cost of replacement, even though the very same problems were addressed in tech briefs for all the models prior to mine. Arguing with them did nothing and it was truly a design flaw and not something I had any part in, as to it doing that. I hope the Kia dealership does not do me dirty as the GM dealership did.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If this link works, then here are some photos of the damage to that cowl cover plate. The dealer was at first trying to blame squirrel damage, but the are does not look chewed and I have had experience with those critters in the past. This is not squirrel damage in my opinion. I am pretty sure it was done on the last check that was done at the dealership a few weeks back. We simply didn't see it, as it does not show at all from inside the car when sitting down in the driver's seat or in a view from the passenger seat. I do hope they take care of the issue and make it right.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/a1930ford/sets/72157643782956424/

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
The does not look like it was fatigue that ceased it. It definitely looks as if something heavy was suddenly put there or something pushed suddenly against it. It also does not look as if it were something that would be overlooked for very long even if you cannot see it from the inside. And no squirrel would do that kind of damage, how would it have gotten to the edges to chew or pull on it, and why would it even want to? Interesting.

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
never seen anything like that before. If something fell on it you would think the hood would have been damaged on the edge. Maybe a bad fitting on the cowl that has put pressure on it over time and then it cracked, was the piece out altogether or was it just cracked?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The photos show it pretty clearly. The piece was completely gone and not just cracked. I have had squirrel damage before on a couple of cars and this looks nothing like it at all to me. For some reason, I am thinking they won't cover it as a warranty issue. I sure hope I am wrong though. I really have no real clue as to what actually caused it. I just want to get the cowl cover fixed and not have it cost me a bundle to do so. I have a feeling I'll have to do some writing to Kia and arguing about it being covered under warranty. I'd hate to have to do that, but maybe my feeling about it is incorrect. I sure hope it is.

Reactions: Cits4K9

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
is the missing piece still below the cowl - or do you have it?

·
Super Moderator
2010 Exclaim
8,100 Posts
I kinda thinking something happened to it while at the dealership. When I had the sunroof tracks replaced they had to drop the headliner. When I got the car back home I noticed glue residue on a lot of the interior pieces at the back of the car. I cleaned it all off myself and when I got the survey from KIA I let they know my opinion on the work performed at my dealership.....wasn't very nice about either. Stay after them and maybe they will fix it for ya! :)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I kinda thinking something happened to it while at the dealership. When I had the sunroof tracks replaced they had to drop the headliner. When I got the car back home I noticed glue residue on a lot of the interior pieces at the back of the car. I cleaned it all off myself and when I got the survey from KIA I let they know my opinion on the work performed at my dealership.....wasn't very nice about either. Stay after them and maybe they will fix it for ya! :)
Do you get surveys after dealer-performed service appointments? Oh, this could be useful.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have not looked inside the hole to see if the broken piece is still resting inside the cowl area. I didn't want to do any more damage to the piece before the dealership manager checked it all out. I have no real idea if the other broken piece is down inside there or not. I am not sure how difficult this piece is to replace or what it costs to order the specific replacement part to do the job with. We used to get surveys after any dealership visits, but I have not seen any from our last visit. My wife took it in a couple of weeks back for the routine service.

·
Registered
2013 Kia Soul +, 2018 Soul 1 Million Edition
784 Posts
The link I posted shows what is required to remove the panel.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts