Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, let me say that I really LOVE my little Gertrude (Kia Soul) and you hardly ever hear me say anything negative about her,
but...... Kia put these wimpy little plastic brackets on the bottom of the front bumper to hold it to the steel frame (below the radiator.)

Today while changing my oil, I noticed that the second set of those brackets are broken.
Here's what they look like (when broken)

I called my dealer and talked to a guy in the parts Dept and he said he'd order me another set. That makes TWO.
The first set broke and was replaced under warranty, about six months ago. I found them right after the car had been in the shop for an oil change and the technician did not see them.

Due to the stress put upon those little plastic brackets, they should be made of STEEL, not plastic.
I'll let Kia replace them just one more time, which they seem willing to do, and then I'll make a set of STEEL brackets to replace the plastic ones.

Now, I'm wondering if I'm the only person in the world having problems with those brackets???
Would y'all take a look at your own Souls and see if those brackets are broken. ???
I'd really appreciate some feedback on this.

Since the first set of brackets broke, I've been really careful NOT to bump any parking bumpers or curbs, trees, rocks, etc.
I hate to have to redesign the front of my car, but I will if I have to.

Thank You and Happy Holidays!
TM :cool:

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Thanks for pointing this out. You know if you take this up with SSD, it looks as if this something they can manufacture fairly easily. If a bunch of us begin to have this same problem, there may be a need for a bunch of them. In the mean time, take the advice from our neighbors in the north and keep plenty of duct tape around :)

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for pointing this out. You know if you take this up with SSD, it looks as if this something they can manufacture fairly easily. If a bunch of us begin to have this same problem, there may be a need for a bunch of them. In the mean time, take the advice from our neighbors in the north and keep plenty of duct tape around :)

Believe it.....if I could repair them with duct tape, I would. As for Steel Brackets.... I can easily make them myself. I think some steel strap would do the job.
It just seems to be a very weak part. The whole front of the car is just plastic. Held together with more plastic. It breaths, it moves and it thumps and rattles.
I think I can somewhat improve on that. I've already found two sources of thumps and rattles and solved that. Now it seems like I'm going to have to fix those dang brackets.

But I'll give Kia one more crack at it.

I'm sure anxious to find out if anyone else has broken bumper brackets. It's not something you'd ever find, unless you get down there and shake the bumper and see if it moves. Or take a hold of those brackets and see if they are firmly bolted to the frame.....or not.

I just can't believe, that I'm the only one in the world with this problem.

:cool:

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,165 Posts
TechnoMage - if we are talking about the two clips screwed into a kind of a square type bracket (where the screw goes in on the right side of this shot and is attached to the front bumper), if so then I checked mine today and no problem, nice and solid. There is no pressure on it and the only thing I could see that would effect it if you caught the lower part of the bumper and it put on upward pressure. Hard to see exactly how the bracket is held into the bumper where its part of it, but I presume it must snap into a clip otherwise you couldn't replace it easily.
If this is not the part then show us some photos of where it goes, not just the brackets themselves.

also thinking, that if was a solid piece (like metal) and it didn't give, that its quite possible it could puncture the lower part of the bumper or break a piece off it rather than just breaking a little bracket.

·
Premium Member
2015 Kia Soul + / Bright Silver / 2.0L (GDI) 4-Cyl Engine 6-Speed Automatic Trans
3,001 Posts
Is this something that us older folks need worry about? Or is this a 2012-2013 Soul only thing?

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
TechnoMage - if we are talking about the two clips screwed into a kind of a square type bracket (where the screw goes in on the right side of this shot and is attached to the front bumper), if so then I checked mine today and no problem, nice and solid. There is no pressure on it and the only thing I could see that would effect it if you caught the lower part of the bumper and it put on upward pressure. Hard to see exactly how the bracket is held into the bumper where its part of it, but I presume it must snap into a clip otherwise you couldn't replace it easily.
If this is not the part then show us some photos of where it goes, not just the brackets themselves.

also thinking, that if was a solid piece (like metal) and it didn't give, that its quite possible it could puncture the lower part of the bumper or break a piece off it rather than just breaking a little bracket.
OK, on the extreme right side of that pic, see that round plastic doohicky with the plastic phillips screw in it? That goes through the lower edge of the bumper and up into the bracket. I can see it in the picture. There is another one on the other side. Then the top end of the bracket bolts to the steel frame with a real steel bolt. The bracket was not meant to flex, the way it's made. It should have been made of die-cast aluminum or some such, in the first place.

Grab the bumper and see if it can be moved out toward the front. If it can, the bracket is broken. I found the broken brackets twice now on my car. I'm not going for three of a kind. If this next set of brackets breaks too, I'm going for a more secure mounting method. I worked for many years as a Mechanical Design Engineer....I can do this.

I thank yous guys for any help you can give. I'm just curious, how many more of these brackets are broken out there. You can't see them unless you're UNDER the car.
The way they are designed, they are definitely NOT supposed to move.

Since the first set broke, I've been REALLY careful, not to bang into anything that could break them. Maybe the wind pushing on the front bumper, at 100mph is enough to break them. ???

Happy Holidays!

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Just went and checked the Titanium !. The passenger side bumper is solid, the driver's side bumper moves a little. Reaching in the bottom of the front of the bumper with my fingers I can feel the bracket and it is definitely broken, I can grab the lip and move it up out of place and down back into place. As I said grabbing the passenger side, it is solid and does not move. Guess a trip to the dealer's is in order. I would have never noticed this without your thread. Thanks.

PS: I am pretty sure I know what caused this also. I hit a curb on that side a few months back. I checked it after I backed off the curb but did not notice this the movement is so slight.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, for checking your car. I just imagine that there are a lot more broken bumper brackets out there that have not been found yet.

Maybe we can get Kia to make a recall for those. Eh?

A steel replacement would be great, but a Die-Cast Aluminum bracket would work too, and would be easier to make.

Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is this something that us older folks need worry about? Or is this a 2012-2013 Soul only thing?
Would you please check your own car, and let us know? I have no way to look at a 2010.

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Sounds like a good thing that this simple bracket broke instead of wrecking your from bumper itself.
I bin thinking on that and I agree. If there were a ridged piece in there, not sure what else may have given. I believe that the best redesign solution would be two separate pieces, top and bottom, with a small flexible rubber piece in the middle so that there would be some give but there would be some rigidity and flexiblity in there.

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
Thank you, for checking your car. I just imagine that there are a lot more broken bumper brackets out there that have not been found yet.
Maybe we can get Kia to make a recall for those. Eh?
A steel replacement would be great, but a Die-Cast Aluminum bracket would work too, and would be easier to make.
you won't get a recall to something as trival as this, its not safety related, it might be a TSB. It could also have been changed on the 2014 model.

I still think the only way it can break if you hit the bottom of the bumper, there is no pressure on it otherwise to cause any problem. You are always telling us you run around in the sand, you may have bumped it and not aware of it as sand would not show any damage on the actual lower part of the bumper.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you won't get a recall to something as trival as this, its not safety related, it might be a TSB. It could also have been changed on the 2014 model.

I still think the only way it can break if you hit the bottom of the bumper, there is no pressure on it otherwise to cause any problem. You are always telling us you run around in the sand, you may have bumped it and not aware of it as sand would not show any damage on the actual lower part of the bumper.
But I'd have to run into a sand bank somewhere and I've not done that. Just driving on a sand road doesn't smack the front bumper.
However vibration could cause those little plastic brackets to break. Whatever is causing those things to break, I'll let Kia change them one more time and then I'll take matters into my own hands.

So far only one person has actually checked their bumper brackets to even see if they are broken and sure nuff.....one was.
C'mon guys....get down there and LOOK!

·
Super Moderator
9,513 Posts
Got to check the other two tonight. Looks like the base is OK, nothing seems amiss. The Shadow ! on the other hand appears to have both of them broken, at least they move around even more than the one on the other !. So out of six of them, three are broken. Looks like two trips to the dealers.

And I hurt my back checking them out, sounds like a safety recall to me :)

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Knowing where they are is half the trouble finding a broken one. I could kneel down in front of the car and reach under the bumper to see if the brackets are loose or tight.

By the way, I have an appointment at my dealer tomorrow to get the two broken parts replaced. I got a phone call from the parts man early today, that the parts had come in. Then I made the appointment for tomorrow.

All across this forum, in all the Kia Souls represented here, I just wonder how many of those little plastic brackets are broken.
So far I'm counting 8. Four, just on my own car.
That was just a very poor place for a plastic part. Heck, a block of wood would have been better. :laughonfloor:laughonfloor

Keep checking, guys!

Merry Christmas, Everyone!

·
Registered
15,165 Posts
hard to tell on the actual fasteners but the 2014 is a little different in this area

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I made the 30 mile trek to my Kia Dealer today, and they did replace my broken front bumper brackets under Warranty..........AGAIN!

The parts manager agreed with me, that those little plastic brackets were probably poorly designed, for the job they have to do.
He also told me the front end of the 2014 has been re-designed. For the better, I hope!

If they break again, I'll make my own replacements out of STEEL.

Merry Christmas Everyone!
TechnoMage :cool:

·
Registered
197 Posts
Just broke one this morning. Hit some snow build up in the driveway that froze solid. I agree with some others. I'd rather replace a 4 dollar part than have it be more solid and take out something more costly. I see it as something like a fusible link that will give way to protect a more expensive part.

Part number for the left side on a 2012: 86573-2K500. Costs $4.61 USD online.

http://www.oemautopartz.com/kia/oem...left/865732k500?search_str=AM_F/L+86573-2K500

1 - 20 of 21 Posts