Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm questioning what the purpose of the breather filter is on some of the aftermarket intake setups I've been seeing. For example Nseit's spectre intake here, he placed a breather filter on the line between the valve cover and the intake. What is the purpose of this filter, and what advantages or disadvantages does it have to our cars? I've done some research myself but can't seem to find anything conclusive. Answers are much appreciated.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm talking about this little guy right here
I was looking at an integra forum and people were saying it harms the engine, people were saying that it increases horsepower by preventing reflow of engine vapors normally in place for emissions, and I've heard that it helps increase the amount of air going to the valve cover. I just wanna know whats up with it.

·
Registered
8,359 Posts
no idea.....never seen one like that before......sorry if you think i am being sacastic - just in a funny mood today!!!

·
Registered
690 Posts
I'm talking about this little guy right here I was looking at an integra forum and people were saying it harms the engine, people were saying that it increases horsepower by preventing reflow of engine vapors normally in place for emissions, and I've heard that it helps increase the amount of air going to the valve cover. I just wanna know whats up with it.
It is part of the PVC [Positive Crankcase Ventilation] emission control device and I personally don’t see any benefit of using such add-on device to improve anything other than “visual” sensation of having a cute little breather. It just circulates the un-burn crankcase gas back into the intake. Primary function is to maximize the efficiency and lessen the pollution. For smooth engine operation, there must be certain amount of “resistant” to air flow but too much resistant can cause something to fail due to excessive pressure buildup inside. Vehicles I know that uses electronic PVC system are BMW, Mercedes, Jeep [only certain model] and those can’t be temper with without triggering “service” light.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We do have a breather line on our cars though, but I'm wondering what the point of the filter is. Is it bringing air to something? I mean for something connected to the valve cover and the air intake its gotta be doing something, right?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, further research is saying that it's for filtering out hot, unused, or other fluid vapors to keep them from recirculating into the intake so that a more pure air-fuel mixture occurs for a much cleaner combustion.

·
Banned
587 Posts
you're demanding there be an actual purpose for the thing - might it not just be decorative ? it does sorta resemble those little umbrellas in rum drinks -

there's a lot of that "just decoration" stuff going on nowadays -

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
But thats the thing, if its a part that is attached to a line that was previously attached as just a hose between the valve cover and the intake. For there to not be a reason for it means that Kia is just wasting money on the hose that links the VC and the intake and thats just a bad business idea for car manufacturers. Mind you, the part is also now located on the hose and is capped off at the end as opposed to recirculating back to the intake or maybe its the intake circulating to the VC, I'm not quite sure on that one either.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Most of the time it's because folks bought an intake that doesn't have the correct fittings.

Sometimes it's to make the car look like they've done something else to it.

In reality, having had my Tiburon setup in several different ways, you want it to run as STOCK. So get a GOOD catch can, and set it all up to run regularly.

You can end up with a REALLY nasty smell coming from your engine setup that way, and then it gets sucked in to the interior...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, i've noticed that smell. I'm assuming the stock setup had a catch can that was attached to the bottom of that snake hose? Not quite sure the purpose of such a thing nor how it works. I just saw how Nseit set up the Spectre intake he got and I mimiced it as best as possible.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
The stock setup runs the vacuum lines right back to the intake so you burn those nasty smells up.

You can also end up with oil all over your engine bay eventually.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts