Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picking up a new 2013 Soul 2u AT on Monday.

Do the engines on the Soul need a break in period?

If so, anyone know what it is?
Also is there anything else I should be looking out for or check when I pick up the car and for the first few days?

Thanks for any input. :)

·
Registered
used to own a 2016 Soul SX 2.0L - Caribbean Blue
15,156 Posts
yes, but nothing special its all explained on page 1/5 in your owners manual when you pick up the car - and don't forget to read the rest of the manual, lots of good info to better appreciate what you've spent your hard earned cash on.

Don't rush your pick-up, spend a good half-hour or more going over the vehicle and make sure everything is okay (make up your own check-list to make sure you don't forget something). Go early for pick up so that if anything is not right the service department will have the chance to make an minor corrections or explain anything you don't understand. Don't check it out in the evening or during rain.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, but nothing special its all explained on page 1/5 in your owners manual when you pick up the car - and don't forget to read the rest of the manual, lots of good info to better appreciate what you've spent your hard earned cash on.

Don't rush your pick-up, spend a good half-hour or more going over the vehicle and make sure everything is okay (make up your own check-list to make sure you don't forget something). Go early for pick up so that if anything is not right the service department will have the chance to make an minor corrections or explain anything you don't understand. Don't check it out in the evening or during rain.
Thanks for the info. :)
The sales guy said I would get a 30 minute lesson on the car. I just downloaded the owners manual as well.
I can only get the car at 6 pm, but I live about 4 minutes from the dealer so if there is anything I will drop in the next day.

Did you have any adjustments to make on yours after pick up?

·
Registered
140 Posts
The owner's manual is about 3/4 of an inch thick and will require lots of reading and figuring.
The quick reference manual will get you out of tight spots, such as how to make windshield wipers work. lol Be sure to look for the spare tire, and jack...haha. Get to know the service manager by name.

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
Thanks for the info. :)
The sales guy said I would get a 30 minute lesson on the car. I just downloaded the owners manual as well.
I can only get the car at 6 pm, but I live about 4 minutes from the dealer so if there is anything I will drop in the next day.

Did you have any adjustments to make on yours after pick up?
I was going to suggest downloading the manual as its a good way to check things out and much quicker and keeps your original paper manual in pristine condition. Just make sure in your case that you check over the vehicle for any marks or scratches, as that is always difficult to prove who is at fault when you leave the lot. My wife and I spent a good 30-45 minutes going over our when we picked it up, just making sure everything was functioning okay and we knew how everything worked and could ask any questions and also for any marks both inside and outside (it was picked up from another dealer outside Montreal and shipped by private trailer). I had also told them ahead of time that I was going to do this before I made any payment, so they were well aware of what I was going to do.

The car was absolutely immaculate when we got it (9km on the odometer), could not find a single fault and haven't had a problem since, just normal service every six months.

·
Registered
15,156 Posts
The owner's manual is about 3/4 of an inch thick and will require lots of reading and figuring.
The quick reference manual will get you out of tight spots, such as how to make windshield wipers work. lol Be sure to look for the spare tire, and jack...haha. Get to know the service manager by name.
Ours is a lot thicker as we have both English and French versions in the one book. He will get a temporary spare tire and jack kit as that is standard on the model he is buying. ;)

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Picking up a new 2013 Soul 2u AT on Monday.

Do the engines on the Soul need a break in period?

If so, anyone know what it is?
Also is there anything else I should be looking out for or check when I pick up the car and for the first few days?

Thanks for any input. :)
in short....NO! There is really NO break-in period, but the first oil change should be about 3k miles.
if the dealer does it for you, they will usually change the oil about every 3-5k.

I drove mine like I stole it, from day one and it runs GREAT! The worse thing you can do is baby it.
That will carbon it up and it will run like crap.
Do read the manual. There's a lot of important details in that little book.

Enjoy!
:cool:

Reactions: Buzz

·
Registered
600 Posts
There's a big gap between drive it "like I stole it" and " baby it". Don't do either one of these and you will have it right. Don't abuse, drive it like you had to pay for it.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
WELL, I speak from 50 years of experience. Do you?

I do know the difference between Abusing a car and getting the peak performance out of it.

Baby a new engine and it will never give you peak performance. But do as you wish.... you have to pay for your car, I don't!

:cool:

·
Registered
600 Posts
I'm 70 years oil so I have a few under my belt as well. I have heard that baby a new engine and it will not run as strong as one you run like you stole it for more than 50 years. That is real old school, running the hell out of a new engine is abusing it. I guess all the engineers don't have a clue what they are talking about when they recommend procedures to follow dealing with the breaking in of a piece of machinery. The Soul may not have a break in laid out but you sure should use some common sense.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the great replies to everyone. :)
I am so glad I found this forum, it's going to be a great place to hang out.

I picked up the car at 4:30 pm and now it's just a little after midnight and I have finally put the new baby to sleep for the nite.

Aside from a break for supper, I have been driving it, playing with it and reading the manual for the last 7 and a half hours.

Every thing, so far, appears to be in tip top shape. :)

I will try and up load a photo soon.

Once again thanks to all for the input. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
As a 68 year old engineer I have my thoughts.
Factory knows best, if they goof up it costs them.
My method is to drive carefully for 1000 miles, change oil and filter then drive it like I stole it for 2000 miles.
Change to Mobil One and enjoy.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Yes on the 3,000 miles then change to Mobil 1. I have a Kohler motor I wanted to use Mobil 1 in so I called the factory. They said to run it 50 hours to seat the rings and then Mobil 1 would be fine. They said that the Mobil 1 would not allow enough friction to seat the rings, that tells me that it's good stuff! I use Mobil 1 in everything I have but my Yamaha four stroke outboard.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts