Kia Soul Forums :: Kia Soul Owners banner

Anybody having trouble starting their 2021 Soul GT line?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
KIA Soul GT line. I picked the car up Monday evening at 6 o’clock. Tuesday at 5 AM getting ready to go to work it won’t start and it won’t even make any clicking noise or any attempt to start. It was really cold at 20 below so tried to jump and it did nothing so put a heater on it and charged it a few hours and the temperature came up to -7. Call the dealer and they said at real cold temperatures the starter locks out and turn the steering wheel all the way to the left to unlock it but that didn’t work either. Finally after several hours try to jumpstart again and was able to finally go to work (45 minute highway drive) about five hours late. Came out of work at -7° And had the same problem. So embarrassing! Got a jumpstart and drove 45 minutes home. Now it’s Wednesday and at five in the morning went to go to work at two above zero same problem wouldn’t even click after having a charger on it for 10 hours. As the very embarrassed owner of a 2 day old 2021 new Kia soul GT I have yet to be able to get into the car and have it start without getting somebody else’s help. My old Ford Fiesta 2014 which never failed me for 7 years always got me to work without fail, even at temperatures of minus 25.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
It's not totally impossible, that during a cars assembly, some connector just didn't get connected properly.

I had that on a brand new Suzuki SX4. I picked it up at the dealer, drove about a mile to a restaurant to get something to eat, since I'd been at the dealer most of the day. When I came out to to home, the new car would not start. I recognized that as a dead battery. I called the dealer to come with a set of jumper cables to get me going.
After getting the JUMP, the car ran fine as I drove it back to the dealership. As it was quitting time, they gave me a loaner and pulled my new car into the shop.

Five days later, they called me to tell me they finally found the problem and I could come back and get my car.
The problem was an in-line connector, Under the Battery. It was preventing the alternator from charging the battery.
I never had another problem with that car for the four years I had it, before trading it off for my 2012 Soul.

Once they find the source of the problem and fix it, you'll have a great little car. Keep the faith!

Cheers Mate,
FLH :cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Turns out the starter is defective. Not sure how they started the car when we picked it up at the dealer. Anyway we have to wait 5 days for a replacement starter to arrive.

·
Registered
2020 LX, cherry black
66 Posts
Five days for a basic part like a starter seems ridiculous to me. I would be pretty annoyed.

·
Registered
527 Posts
A starter is defective when you are able to jump it and start it? It is possible that they did a voltage drop test and concluded all your cables are just fine and the starter happened to be drawing too much amperage but I am very suspicious of this diagnosis but don't have the car in front of me so hope for the best for you. Maybe just ask them how many amps it was drawing as you were able to start it by boosting the battery so it is obviously not locked up or has no connection.
My real suspicion, click on my name and read my post to the battery problem theory I have about new cars especially in cold states that are left to "lot rot" at the dealership.

·
Registered
2014 Titanium Stick Shift Pacific NW
7,474 Posts
Did you let the dealer know you started a survey on social media called fail fail fail?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Amen to bwdz75's post 6.
Sounds more like a battery voltage issue.
Once, about 40 years ago, I replaced a starter because I did not thoroughly check the battery.
Did it in the covered parking of the Northridge Fashion Center (the area that collapsed on the sweeper in the 1994 earthquake).
Fortunately it was easy access on a Mopar 318.
...then I went for a replacement battery.

Had I checked battery voltages, it would have saved work, time and $.

"But it is a fairly new battery"...does not mean it is good...or properly charged.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
This sounds pretty obvious, but have you checked the battery terminals? When we picked up our brand new Soul, ours weren't tight and left my wife stranded at the mall. She eventually got it started and drove home where I found the loose terminals. Also, not unheard of them being shipped with defective batteries.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
On the Gen 1 Soul, there was a grounding problem that only affected 'Some' Souls.
It could prevent engine starting, battery charging, and misc. electrical problems throughout the car.
I first heard about it on the Kia Soul Forum, UK.
My own KIA Service Manager agreed that it was a problem, which he had seen.
Grounding on the Gen 3 has NOT been greatly improved, over the Gen 1.

Being pro-active, I set about to fix the poor grounds on my own car, and so never had the failures I'd read about.
I wrote about it extensively in the Gen 1 Forum, with pictures.
Good luck Mates,

·
Registered
527 Posts
Tom L, just so you know a starter is usually an hour job but if it is not in stock at the dealer it can take 2 days. Kia's entire servers went down last Saturday and parts ordering and warranty work has been not possible to do for that reason. As of this morning some of it is back up but a lot of it is still not working. I am glad they have you in a rental but just a heads up that this may be slightly prolonged by the outage they experienced.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Just a little bit of WEIW (what ever it's worth)

Unlike the big V8's of yesteryear, the starter on the Soul grounds to the engine block. Nothing new there. But the engine block, on the Soul, DOES NOT ground directly to the NEG Terminal on the battery. NO, it grounds through a small ground strap, to a painted surface on the passenger side shock tower (or body). And it's not Rocket Science, that paint does not conduct electricity. Then, the ground path for the starter has to go around through the body of the car, to another little Ground strap on the driver's side of the body, also bolted down to a painted surface, before it can get back to the NEG terminal on the battery. Each connection in that ground path, can represent a Voltage Drop.*

So it's no mystery to me why there are so many starting problems (reported) on the Soul.

* My own FIX was to remove the small bolt that holds those ground straps to the car's body, and remove the paint where the ground strap contacts the body. Then for a more permanent fix, I ran a Battery Cable from the engine block to the NEG terminal on the Battery.

It's not just the starter that needs a good ground, but every electronic device on the engine, like the fuel injectors, alternator, and all the sensors. For instance, if the Alternator does not have a good ground, it cannot properly charge the battery.

After my 'fix', in the seven years that I drove my 2013 Soul, I never had even ONE electronic failure on that car.
The only thing I had to buy was the 24" long battery cable, that I bought at Walmart for under $10.

Cheers Mates!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
Tom L, just so you know a starter is usually an hour job but if it is not in stock at the dealer it can take 2 days. Kia's entire servers went down last Saturday and parts ordering and warranty work has been not possible to do for that reason. As of this morning some of it is back up but a lot of it is still not working. I am glad they have you in a rental but just a heads up that this may be slightly prolonged by the outage they experienced.
Isn't that infuriating! Like going to Walmart, filling your cart and getting up to the checkout counter, and the girl says, "I'm sorry, I can't check you out, , , our computer is DOWN". Arggg!

Every business computer in the country, should have a backup. It should be LAW!
I have several computers, modems and routers, and every one is on a Battery Backup. That keeps everything working till I get my Backup Generator on line.
It's criminal, for a big company like KIA, to not have a sufficient computer backup.
I've been in small restaurants, where every Cash Register (Point of Sale Device) had its own Battery Backup.(UPS)

Ok, that's my soap box for the day. lol

·
Registered
527 Posts
Just a little bit of WEIW (what ever it's worth)

Unlike the big V8's of yesteryear, the starter on the Soul grounds to the engine block. Nothing new there. But the engine block, on the Soul, DOES NOT ground directly to the NEG Terminal on the battery. NO, it grounds through a small ground strap, to a painted surface on the passenger side shock tower (or body). And it's not Rocket Science, that paint does not conduct electricity. Then, the ground path for the starter has to go around through the body of the car, to another little Ground strap on the driver's side of the body, also bolted down to a painted surface, before it can get back to the NEG terminal on the battery. Each connection in that ground path, can represent a Voltage Drop.*

So it's no mystery to me why there are so many starting problems (reported) on the Soul.

* My own FIX was to remove the small bolt that holds those ground straps to the car's body, and remove the paint where the ground strap contacts the body. Then for a more permanent fix, I ran a Battery Cable from the engine block to the NEG terminal on the Battery.

It's not just the starter that needs a good ground, but every electronic device on the engine, like the fuel injectors, alternator, and all the sensors. For instance, if the Alternator does not have a good ground, it cannot properly charge the battery.

After my 'fix', in the seven years that I drove my 2013 Soul, I never had even ONE electronic failure on that car.
The only thing I had to buy was the 24" long battery cable, that I bought at Walmart for under $10.

Cheers Mates!
That is a great recommendation for all the Souls without the battery sensor on the negative cable. I have started many cars by just running a jumper cable from the block to the shock tower or back to negative post. All Gen3 Souls have a sensor and you shouldn't even ground accessories to that cable, Kia even put out a TSB for problems that relate to that. They're just a little different than the older generations.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Call the dealer and they said at real cold temperatures the starter locks out and turn the steering wheel all the way to the left to unlock it
Seriously? I've never heard of anything like that before.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I even punched it into KGIS and came up with no results as I've never heard of this. Anyone want to try it? I'm not at liberty to perform unnecessary experiments on my customers cars or else I would.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts